Biking holiday in europe

Jan 18th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Biking holiday in europe

Hi. My girlfriends and I are celebrating our 40th birthyear this Sept with a biking/hiking or both holiday for a week. Thinking of Provence or Tuscany, maybe Spain. Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Thinking of a medium to easy trip.
Jan 18th, 2004, 05:48 PM

If you want the BEST biking that is medium to easy and possibly the most scenic in Europe, try Linz to Vienna along the Danube. We did this trip in May 2001 and absolutely loved it. The bike paths are fantastic, the people in Austria wonderful and you will go through so many beautiful villages. You can view our trip at: http://alexstarke.tripod.com/
If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me through the site.
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. Do you know of any company that will arrange this trip, we need good bikes and helmets and lodgings and a van to pick up the stragglers (probably moi!).
Jan 19th, 2004, 04:51 AM

Butterfield and Robinson have top of the line bike tours. They cater to all levels of riders.
Jan 19th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Hi tangwah,

Though I haven't done this myself, I noted one poster's recommendation for a bike tour down the Danube. It's www.austria-radreisen.at/home.asp?R_ID=1. The drawback is that I can't find any English-language pages there. It might be worthwhile to e-mail them to see if their guides speak English --

I've also spent some time day dreaming on the Randonnee Tours website (www.randoneetours.com I think). They set you up with bikes & hotels & maps and let you go at your own pace. I think they operate mostly in France.

Also look into La Dolca Via at www.ladolcevia.com for tours in Italy.

Best of luck!

s
Jan 19th, 2004, 06:48 AM

You might want to look at Backroads (www.backroads.com) which do active vacations all over Europe, including cycling in Provence and Tuscany as well as hiking.

They are a good company and do an excellent job. I know people who have enjoyed their vacations with them so much they have gone to work for them as guides.

Have a great time on your trip!
Jan 19th, 2004, 06:58 AM

Don't count out the Loire valley. Nice, level terrain with lots of attractive little towns, big castles, and good wine & food.

I'm sure someone else here will mention the Netherlands as well...
Jan 19th, 2004, 07:59 AM

tangwah;
You can try e-mailing Pedalpower in Vienna: http://www.pedalpower.at/
One of the owners, Rick, is an American ex-pat and very helpful. We rented our bikes from him and brought our own panniers. If you are going in September you won't have any problems with lodging, finding B&B's in the villages you go through is easy and part of the adventure. You can order a great book from Rick that has a great route map and rec's where to stay in each town complete with address's and phone #'s.
Jan 19th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Wish check out all the suggestions.
Jan 19th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Have a look at :
http://www.bravobike.com/ingles/indexmenu.html

We went on a daytrip with them last October and it was very well run, very scenic, with a good English speaking guide
(Some photos of the trip hidden amongst the others at :
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~pantry/index4.html
Photos 121-2121 to 122-2209 are from the ride)
We did the one day tour from Chinchon to Aranjuez, but they offer many others at various levels of difficulty over many days. Apparently they use good quality hotels. The lunch on our trip was in a good quality local restaurant in Aranjuez, and was a nice rest after the cycling.

I'm sure they will tailor the level of exertion to suit your needs.

Have a good trip
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:27 PM

my favorite place to cycle is the Loire valley of france - nice easy riding and very scenic. Germany (except in the alps) is also quite nice. I think Provence and Tuscany will be too strenous.

I have never cycled in Spain, but my impression is that there isn't the good network of roads that are in France and Germany.

Netherlands is flat but in my expericnece, the high winds and brick bikeways make it unsuitable for a pleasure ride