Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fumicino Airport - Safety and Opening Hours

Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since i have to catch a 6:30 flight from Rome and don't want to spend a fortune on a hotel room for barely a few hours, I plan to spend the wee hours of the night at Fumicino Airport. Does anyone know if the shops will be open before my flight? Also, any thoughts on the security of the airport at those odd hours?

Thanks.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 01:51 PM

Ok, so are you planning on spending the night or part of the night at the airport? Or partying in say Rome until 2 or 3 am and then heading out?

There will be no public transportation before (I believe) 5 am, so that leaves a cab or shuttle, unless you go out before midnight. It is very safe, as are all international airports, but there won't be any shops open in the wee hours.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you click on the various terminal maps, you will see what's available (symbols such as knife and fork, etc) and the hours are next to the symbol.
http://www.adr.it/portal/portal/adr/...a_Terminal_FCO
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 02:45 PM

There is a bus from Termini around 2 AM. Two trips back our sons had 6am flights so they hung out at the airport. They had lots of company doing the same thing. Since it is a 6.30 flight you most likely be a connecting to another European city so don't make the mistake of going to the International terminal.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

I plan to catch the last train to the airport Saturday night and hang out there until boarding.

Thanks for all the tips. Fmpden - I will fly back to the U.S. via Zurich - that's still considered a domestic flight?
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Absolutely, domestic to Zurich. I know by your timing. Most international direct flights arrive in the mid AM, get turned around, and depart early to mid PM. Several years ago we had some friends who were returning via London to US. Cut it a little close but went directly to the international terminal thinking that is what they should do, waited in some long lines, only to learn that they were in the wrong terminal. By the time they made it to the correct terminal, they missed their flight, incurred a bunch of change fees, and have to spend 24 hrs at the airport waiting for their next flight home.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 08:11 AM
ron

Donna McSherry's website about sleeping in airports is worth a look, http://www.sleepinginairports.net/europe/rome.htm
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Great tips from everyone. Thanks again!