From Prague to which mountain???

Jan 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

From Prague to which mountain???

Hi,

My son is very busy taking a TEFL course in Prague right now, but would like to do some snowboarding on the weekend. Can anyone recommend a ski resort that wouldn't be too challenging to get to from Prague but would give him the challenge he likes when snowboarding. He would probably be considered a high immediate to expert snowboarder. He will be going by himself.

I told him I would ask the experts over at Fodors for advice. Thanks in advance!!
Jan 7th, 2008, 10:06 PM

Hi,

Czech Republic unfortunately doesn't have mountains that are comparable to the Alps or the Rockies. The best, most challenging terrain is still to find in the north, Krkonose mountains. My favourite towns there are Spindleruv Mlyn and Pec pod Snezkou or Rokytnice. He should be prepared for crowds on weekends, though. The infrastructure is not comparable to the Alps - but it is ok for one or two days.
Jan 8th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information, Ingo! I will pass it along.

I know he would like to eventually snowboard in the Alps as he plans to tour Europe for awhile when the course is finished. Which part of the Alps would you recommend?

Thanks again!!
Jan 8th, 2008, 06:15 AM

You're welcome!

It totally depends on the month, the time he has (re: travelling to/from), the money he is willing to spend ...

From mid March on he should concentrate on high elevation places. Like Garmisch-Partenkirche with the Zugspitze in Germany, Kaprun (Kitzsteinhorn), Sölden, Stubai valley, Ischgl in Austria. These are good spots for snowboarding.

Switzerland is probably too far from Prague unless he can get a cheap flight into Zurich. And it's a bit more expensive.

If he can go earlier then plenty of resorts are good choices, also at lower elevation. Saalbach-Hinterglemm is a fun/party resort e.g.
Jan 8th, 2008, 06:16 AM

Btw, funny coincidence. Will be in Prague next week for a couple of days.

Does he like Prague?
Jan 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Ingo,

Thanks again for replying!!! Unfortunately, my son didn't do a lot of planning for his experience to Europe, but he's only 22 so hopefully he's learning quickly!! So far so good, but he's only been there since Saturday (today is Tuesday). Class is intense and all he wants to do is explore the city and Europe!! He's really looking forward to the weekend!

He thinks Prague is beautiful and is excited to travel all around Europe, but right now he really wants to snowboard. So, thanks for some suggestions. In your opinion, what is the best way to get to Saalbach-Hinterglemm? The website is very confusing.

Thanks again and have a great time in Prague!!!! Any suggestions on where to dine for a good cheap dinner and beer where an American with NO Czech language would be welcomed?
Jan 8th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Hi again,

I will ask my Czech friends about the cheap dinner place. That's indeed not so easy to find - language *can* be a problem in the non-touristy place.

I guess the best option to get to Saalbach-Hinterglemm is train to Zell am See (or probably Maishofen, not sure) and then bus a short distance. That bus wouldn't be a problem - but the train ride is quite long and involves some changes. Another option is to check if cheap flights are available from Prague to Munich. Doubt it, though.

I'll post again when I have news from my friends.

I.
Jan 9th, 2008, 03:22 AM

Kaprun good idea (others in the same valley good as well)
Jan 9th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Ingo,
Thanks once more, you've been so helpful. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

bilboburgler,
Thank you for your suggestion. Kaprun looks beautiful!
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:15 AM

I had a quick look at the German Railways website (www.bahn.de) and they came up with a long, but convenient train trip from Prague to Zell am See (from where buses, ski buses even free, run to Saalbach or Kaprun) with two changes - one in Landshut, the other in Salzburg. Departure 9.16 am and Arrival 6.42 pm in Zell am See.

Doesn't make sense for a weekend, though. So if he only has the weekends he should stick to the Krkonose mountains.

Here is a link to webcams and info on ski areas in the Czech Republic. English is available, too.
http://www.holidayinfo.cz/main.php?lang=2

My friends in Prague came up with three restaurant recommendations:

Restaurace u parlamentu, Valentinska 8, Prague 1, next to the Metro stop Staromestska.

Klub architektù, Betlémské nám. 5a/169, Praha 1, a five minutes walk from Staromestske Namesti in the cellars of the architecture gallery

Hospudka na Schodech, Radnicke Schody, in the Mala Strana/Hradcany area (near the castle).

He should do fine in those restaurants. Btw, if he's up for meeting for a glass of beer and dinner, let me know. However, I am sure he'll go out with his co-students and find other places soon.

Ingo
Jan 10th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Ingo,
Thank you again for such great information!! I sent him this link and I know it'll be very helpful as he's feeling a bit overwhelmed not knowing the language and with the intensity of the course!!!