Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Positano to Bellagio by train-which overnight stop?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In May, I am travelling with my husband to Rome. Plan to hire limo and go directly to our hotel (Villa Rosa) in Positano. Spend 4 nights there. Would then proceed to Bellagio and spend another 4 nights and fly off from Milan. My question is, how do I take a train from Positano to Bellagio? Which is the most convenient / prettiest town to stay 1 or 2 nights? Would appreciate the names of stations and schedule if possible. I know geographically it is not feasible to travel this distance but these are the 2 towns that I have been wanting to see for the last 10 years and it is not easy for me to come to Italy hence I am willing to spend 1 to 2 nights between 2 destinations. Thank you all in advance!
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 02:11 AM

There is no train station in Positano or Bellagio, but there is no reason not to do the trip in a single day. Hire a limousine for Positano to Naples, take the comfortable high-speed AV train from Napoli Centrale to Milano Centrale, change to a train to Varenna, take the ferry to Bellagio. It will take about nine hours, but it can be done in a day.

But if you do want an overnight, consider that "most convenient" and "prettiest" rarely mean the same thing. Florence would be most convenient; most people would agree that the Val d'Orcia in southern Tuscany is prettiest but it's impossible to get to by train and a real hassle to get to by bus.

You do realize that a limousine from Fiumicino to Positano will cost 300 Euro or more?
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 02:13 AM

Hi Ch - Have you thought of flying?

You could fly to Milan or Bergamo from Naples. Easyjet, Myair and others fly this route.

If you prefer train, the shortest journey time Naples-Varenna (- a short ferry ride from Bellagio) is 7hrs 30'.

It's also possible to do this journey by train overnight.

For details/timetables see:
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Departure station: Napoli Centrale
Arrival station: Varenna-Esino

If you wish to stop en route for an overnight there are plenty of options - e.g. Florence, Bologna, Rome, Orvieto, Arezzo, Cortona ... to name a few

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Steve, can you tell me how long is the journey from naples to the stopover point say Orvieto? I do not plan to rent a car for only a 1 or 2 day stopover hence I need a very convenient point. Any recommendation for hotels as well? Then how long from Orvieto to Lake Como?
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:32 AM
ira

HI C,

>travelling with my husband to Rome. Plan to hire limo and go directly to our hotel (Villa Rosa) in Positano.

Since money appears to be of little concern, I suggest:

Have a limo drive you to Naples Centrale from Positano.

Train to Florence (3:30 hr) - 2 nights

Limo to Bellagio (5 hr)

It is less expensive to
Train to Milan (3 hr)
Limo to Bellagio (2 hr)

Enjoy your visit.

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 07:08 AM

You can find all your rail journey times on:

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Hope this helps ...

Steve