Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train or Car Service - Rome to Positano?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to figure out if I am better off taking a car service from Rome to Positano instead of a train. The car service for 5 people is 480 Euros. I'm not sure how much the train is, but I will need a car service from the hotel in Rome to the train station and then the Naples train station to the hotel in Positano. I think they are around 100 Euros each. I'm just thinking maybe it's much less of a hassle just to travel by car straight through.

Any recommendations?
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
ES Train from Rome to Salerno (25-30E per person 2nd cl - 2 1/2 hours), ferry from Salerno to Positano (about 10E per person)
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Mers
we have just done this trip in May. we decided to catch train from Rome termini to Naples, then another train to Sorrento & bus to Positano. I would not do this again. in the end we caught train from Termini to Naples and then organised our hotel to send a driver from Naples to Positano for 100 euro. best decision we made. we arrived at Rome airport at 12.00pm we only got to Positano at 10pm. baggage took forever to collect, the italians dont rush anything. caught train from airport to Termini and thought we had missed our train but turned out it was delayed by 2 1/2 hrs. getting someone to explain that this had happened was stressful to say the least. when train finally arrived it was 5.30pm. we sat on it for another 1/2 hr before we left station. i rang our hotel to say dont give our room away we are still coming and she offered to send a driver to Naples to pick us up. the thought of still having to catch another train and bus we just didnt have the stamina left. in saying all this we loved italy and loved Positano adn would go back in a heart beat. if money is a real issue i would still catch train from Termini to Naples and have a driver meet you there for trip to Positano. the train trip from Termini to Naples was great, seeing the mountains, going through huge tunnels through the mountains well worth it. hope this helps you to make a decision. we travelled for 7 weeks from Australia, US, Canada, Europe and all my organising was spot on except getting to Positano but I knew it wasnt going to be easy even after gaining a lot of information from fodors and trip advisor. it was the one country i was worried about.
good luck kerry
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:55 PM

another thing to add. it is not hard buying the train ticket dont bother to do it off the internet beforehand just do it at the station that was the easiest thing to do. the delay in getting our baggage may have seen us miss a pre bought train ticket for certain time. if I can add any more info I would be happy to.Kerry
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 01:27 AM

Hi Mers - If you want to use a car service, shop around - quotes vary from € 300-500+

Personally I prefer the train/boat route via Salerno suggested by Ky.

A budget hassle-free alternative would be the Rome-Positano bus service (- operator: Marozzi). Fare: approx € 20 pp.

http://www.marozzivt.it/

Steve
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking that the price might be pretty close. If it's going to be 150 Euros for 5 peole for the train, then a car quote was for 180 Euros from the train to Positano. Also, there is the car service from Rome hotel to train around 100 Euros. So that's around 430 Euros. I'm thinking for an extra 50 Euros, I might as well avoid the hassle and take a car???

If I decide to take the ferry from Salerno to Positano, how long does that take, and will it be a big hassle with all the luggage? How about getting to the hotel from the ferry?

Thanks for all the help!!!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:18 AM

>Also, there is the car service from Rome hotel to train around 100 Euros.

??? What car do you want - a stretch limo?
A taxi will cost much less...
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

altamiro
No, that was a price I was quoted for 5 people - 95 Euros. I think it was for a mini van.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:28 AM

Mers - You're obviously not speaking to the right people

Assuming you are staying in central Rome, a taxi transfer to the station will typically cost about € 15. € 20 max. Get 2 taxis

A Naples-Positano transfer will typically cost about € 100.
Maybe a bit more for 5 - but certainly not € 180. Contact the usual Positano companies for a quote ...

If cost is an issue, the Naples-Positano bus service is relatively hassle-free and costs about € 20 per person. This option will save € 300+.
Departures from Tiburtina station.

If you decide on the ferry option from Salerno, journey time is 70 mins. Fare: € 7

There is a porter service to meet the ferries.

Steve
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 04:55 AM

Hello Steve,

Is it a Rome-Positano or Naples-Positano bus that's 20E? Is it from Tiburtina in Rome?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Hi Carol - Sorry, my mistake. It's a ROME-Positano service (- high-season only)

Dep. Roma Tiburtina station.
Journey time: 4.5 hrs approx

For details see:
http://www.marozzivt.it/

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:26 AM

carolw - The Marozzi bus leaves Rome Tiburtina station (it's on the metro/train lines). It doesn't go into Naples and has one or two very brief stops(Pompeii) before Sorrento. I assume it travels on to Positano after Sorrento(or perhaps there is more than one route), but I've only experienced the Rome/Sorrento leg. About 20E per person. I found the bus to be easier than training to Naples and switching to the local Circumvesuviana. The Marozzi web link doesn't load properly on my computer and doesn't appear to have been updated recently. This is a schedule of stops, but it's an old link so I'm not sure the times would be accurate.
http://www.penisola.it/it/Orari/Auto...aribusroma.htm

There is a bus from FCO to Salerno, but it only has one departure a day. www.buonotourist.it

I've also read about another bus from Rome to Sorrento on www.curreriviaggi.it. You could contact them (e-mail link on their web site) for more information.

Some of the busses are seasonal - June-Sept.

Car service for Rome:
www.romeshuttlelimousine.com
www.limoservicerome.com
I would think a taxi would be cheaper for central Rome, but you could contact the limo services for a quote. It should be cheaper than the 50E for five from the airport.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Perhaps this Marozzi schedule link is better.
http://www.alfonsoamare.it/english/marozzi.htm
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Thanks Steve and KY!
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Ky - I don't think the Alfonso link is correct - it's dated 2002.

The Marozzi link works on mine. It says

Dep: 07.00 Roma Tiburtina
Arr: 11.30 Positano Chiesa Nouva

There is usually a taxi around the corner from the Chiesa Nouva stop in Positano for a ride down to your hotel. If not, they will happily call you one at nearby Bar Internazionale.

Steve

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know if it is about a 3-Hour car ride from Rome to Positano? If I decide to take the train, how early do you need to get to the train station? and the train from Rome to Naples is around 2 1/2 Hours??? then another 1 1/2 to Positano???

I'm just trying to add up all the travel time, and if it's less than a 200 Euro difference in price for the car, then I'm thinking it's worth it.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Steve - I'm not sure why most of the Marozzi link won't load on my computer. The part that does says 2005 and appears to old. I use to be able to select bus seats and see schedules, but most have some software incompatibility.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

One more question, for the train - what's the difference between the ES and the IT plus?
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM

The fastest train (90 minutes) between Rome and Naples is the AV which doesn't stop. Next fastest is the ES (2 hours)which stops 2-3 times. Third would be IC or ICplus and travel time can vary a bit on these, but are slower than ES and make a few more stops. Slowest are R trains which are older and stop at many little stations. On Trenitalia, enter your cities, click on details of the train you want and then click the train number. You will get a list of all the stops for that train.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:38 AM

Hello all, new to this site me and my future wife are going to positano from rome what's our best bet?? Is it still the train to sorrento and ferry over or has anyone gone and have any better ideas?? Quicker the better or cheaper thx everyone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -