Search

June Honeymoon in Italy - Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
June Honeymoon in Italy - Suggestions

Hi
We are traveling to Italy in June 2005 for our honeymoon. The only thing we have booked so far are our flights (we are flying into Venice and out of Rome)and the Venice hotel. I am looking for recommendations on hotels in Bellagio, Positano, and Rome and well as good restaurants and places to see. We plan to take day trips out of Positano to Capri and ohter places but aren't really sure where else to go. We are not planning on renting a car, but hopefully will get around by train (i'm not sure how the whole train system works there or even how long the travel time is between these locations). Do we need to buy the tickets ahead of time? Do the trains ever fill up? I appreciate any suggestions on this itinerary.

June 14th - arrive Venice late morning and will be staying at Locanda Orseolo (based on reviews from this site and tripadvisor). We will only be spending 2 nights in Venice and plan on departing the 14th for Bellagio. Is it a long trip?

June 16th - arrive Bellagio, no hotel booked yet. Good reviews on Hotel Florence, I contacted them by e-mail and was told I couldn't book for 05 until Jan. 1. Is this a good hotel or is there another hotel that is better and still priced moderately? It sounds as though Bellagio is pretty quiet. What do people do there just relax? Take day trips? We plan on being there for 4 nights.

June 20th - travel from Bellagio to Positano (how close will the train bring us)? Would love any recommendations on a place to stay and things to see. Will be in Positano until the 24th.

June 24th - travel to Rome, 2 nights. We fly out of Rome on the 26th. We will need accommodations here, close to sights since we are here a very limited time, what are the must-see things?

I can't wait to visit Italy. Originally we were just going to stay in one place for the 2 weeks but there are just so many places I want to visit so I picked my top few. Hopefully we'll make it back to see Tuscany, Florence, and other regions. Thanks!
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 05:16 PM

Four days in Bellagio without a car might get boring. You could relax and enjoy the view and take a couple of halfday trips to Cernobbio etc. but the Lakes are best seen by car. Check with the Trenitalia.it website for train schedules. The train doesn't go to Bellagio so you would
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 05:23 PM

sorry, this site isn't working right...
anyway, leave Venice and take the train to Milan, changetrains to go to Como and then take a bus or ferry to Bellagio. The train trip is about four and a half hours with another hour or so by bus or ferry. Bellagio/Positano will be a long day. Again, you'll need to get to Como, take a train to Milan, then hopefully catch a fast train to Naples. That train trip is going to be about seven and a half hours. Then you still need to get to Positano. You can take the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento and then a bus or cab to Positano, or cab to the ferry terminal and take the ferry to Positano, or take a taxi or hire a private driver to take you from the train station in Naples to Positano. That trip will be between one and two hours, depending on the method of transportation you choose and traffic.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 10:04 PM

I beg to differ - the lakes are best seen by boat! You can go all over Lake Como this way, see http://www.straughan.com/italy/travel/lake_como.htm for some links and tips.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

http://www.straughan.com
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:49 AM

Could you please post your budget for the hotels? It would be much easier to make recommendations. Also, you should try to narrow down your hotel list quickly, then e-mail and/or phone hotels, esp. in Positano. The Amalfi Coast books up very quickly for the summer months.

Good luck, and congratulations!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

The only hotel we have booked so far is 220 Euro per night (Venice), I would rather not go much over that, but I realize some areas may be more pricey than others. If it is an exceptional hotel at a higher cost we would definately consider it but we are not looking at the hotels that charge 500+ per night.

I didn't realize the trip from the Lakes to Positano was going to be so long. Maybe I should see if there are any cheap flights so we don't waste a whole day.

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:35 AM

With your time I would stay north and include either the cinque terre or Tuscany rather than Positano. That will waste too much time and is not easy to access.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 09:35 AM
ira

Hi J,

Good advice from Bob.

4 nights on the Lakes, 3 nights in Positano and only 2 nights in Venice, 2 nights in Rome and no Florence?

Are you sure you understand why you are going to Italy?
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 02:46 PM

Are you open to a revision of your trip? I'd suggest:

4 nights in Venice (remember- you'll easily "lose" at least a day to jetlag)

Fly from Venice to Naples on ALPIEAGLES
5 nights on the Amalfi Coast with day trips to: Capri, Amalfi, Ravello, Sorrento, Pompeii. ( I'd advise basing in Positano, since it's undeniably one of the most romantic destinations in the world.)

Train from Naples to Rome

3 Nights in Rome

Home
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 02:49 PM
ira

Or add one more night to Venice, 2 to the AC and fly home from Naples.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.
We are definately open to revising our trip somewhat but I really want to go to Positano, I have just heard great things about it.

Ira I do know why I am going to Italy, but of the people I know who have been to Florence I have never really heard any great things about it, so I didn't feel it would be a big deal to cut it out, at least this trip. And we do want to see things but we also want downtime to relax.
Weadles, you are suggesting cutting out Bellagio? Is it because it is not that great or just due to the time restrictions? Do you have a suggestion for a hotel in Positano?

It sounds like everyone agrees I am not scheduling enough time in Venice so I do think I am going to contact Locanda Orseolo and see if we can extend our stay at least another night, possibly 2 depending how we adjust the rest of the itinerary.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:30 PM

jesssica,

I am only following your suggestions. You just posted that you really want to see Positano. I don't think you can or should do everything ( lakes and Amalfi Coast) in one trip. Hopefully, you'll go back to Italy many times!

In Positano, I have been lucky enough to stay at the Poseidon, but it has gotten very expensive. A fairly new hotel that seems to get very good reviews here on the forum is ALBERGO MIRAMARE. I think it should fall within your budget.

Others to look at in that range are:
Villa Franca
Villa Rosa
Best Western Pasitea

There are several others, I just don't know them. If you check previous posts for Positano hotels, you're sure to find them!

Good luck with your plans.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:36 PM

I agree that you should decide whether Positano or Bellagio is most important to you. Visit one of them on this particular trip, not both. Either choice will make a fabulous trip.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:59 PM

Hi
I'll try to persuade you a bit as well, but in the end if you feel that your trip will be lessened if you don't go to Positano, than of course go for it.

I take it you want beautiful scenery.
If the Lakes aren't enough, have you considered Portofino, in the Cinque Terre area (which bobthenavigator also mentioned)? It's still north, as opposed to Portofino, and it is supposed to be just lush and gorgeous. If you'd like a taste of what the harbor looks like, rent the film "Enchanted April."

You can get to near the CT by train, and then walk or bus in--no cars.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 02:13 AM

Dear Jessica
in Venice i suggest the Hotel Priuli which is a really unique hotel in venice with large rooms and beautiful decor. In Bellagio I have heard that the hotel Florence is a little bit run down, instead why not try the Hotel Metropole which is the only hotel in Bellagio located on the lake! the double rooms with a balcony are the best value for money and if you book now the rates are good (leave it much later and the rates go up and the availability goes down.) in Rome the hotel castello della castelluccia is a 13th century castle on the edge of town! the tower suite is the place to stay at least for a night but even if not available a double deluxe would still be excellent value for money (in june the hotels swimming pool is also open as is the beauty centre) the only problem with the castle is its location on the periphery of Rome (near Nero's Tomb) it takes about 45 minutes to get to the city centre. if you want to be more central book the tried and tested hotel Forum the eternal favourite with honeymooners for reasons which will become obvious if you visit the website. enjoy italy!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 01:04 PM

Jesssica --

I've just replied to your posting on the Trip report: bellagio, venice, etc. thread....

so check there, ok?
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion on Albergo Miramere, it looks great. i sent off a reservation request today, so hopefully it is available.

I saw the Best Western on a few sites, but it just doesn't seem right to go to Italy and stay at Best Western!

When planning our day trips from Positano you mentioned visiting Capri, Amalfi, Ravello, Sorrento, Pompeii. If we don't make it to all of these which one or two should we leave out? How long is the travel time from Positano? Can they all be accessed by ferry or would we need to find other transportation?
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:10 PM

Most of the day trips I mentioned are pretty easy to do from Positano. Amalfi is very close to Positano. It's a short boat ride or about a 20 min. bus ride.Ravello is inland, and that takes, as I remember ( don't quote me!- only went once) about 40 minutes on the bus.
Sorrento is 30 min. by car, a little less than an hour by bus.Of course all of this depends on summer traffic conditions along the coast. Capri is about 30 min by boat, but sometimes boats are cancelled due to rough water conditions.

Pompeii is about an hour from Positano. Without a car, your best bet would be to take the bus to Sorrento, then take a local train which leaves you right outside the main entrance of Pompeii.You could also hire a driver to take you to Pompeii on your way back to Rome, but this is a much more costly alternative.

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 08:28 PM

Yes, I would consider a longer stay in Venice--you'll have a wedding to recover from as well as jet lag. Venice is a great place for relaxing, just be sure to stay in town.

The Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio is nice and has magnificent views. You can get to Bellagio more quickly by taking the train from Milan to Varenna, then the boat for a short hop to Bellagio. The little ferry boats stop several places on the lake, while driving to Bellagio is a bit perilous. I'd stick to public transportation.

As for the trip from Lake Como to Positano, it will have many parts: a train trip to Milan, switch to another train to Rome, switch to another train to Naples, switch (inside the Naples train station) to the commuter-like Circumvesuviano to Sorrento, then take a bus to Positano.

You seem to have your heart set on Positano, but Sorrento is a better base. From there, it's a short train ride (on the Circumvesuviano) to Pompeii or Herculaneum, a short boat trip to Capri, and an easy bus trip to the Amalfi Coast.

This is not going to be a very restful honeymoon. You might want to reconsider your itinerary.

Old Nov 24th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Based on all of your advice we have decided to save Bellagio for another trip and then hopefully in that trip we can incorporate cinque terre and portofino and other places.

We don't want to spend all of our time traveling. I went on the Alitalia website to look at fares between Venice and Naples and on the US site it is $500+ for 2 tickets and on the italian site it is only 149 Euros, or on the UK site 99.40 GBP (both under $200 US). Does anyone know if US residents can purchase flights on a site for a different country or if I have to do it on the US site? That is a big price difference. It is worth saving the time for $200, but I'm not sure about $500.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -