From CDG To Paris Hotel

Jul 13th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

From CDG To Paris Hotel

We will be arriving around noon on Saturday at CDG and are staying at a small hotel in the Marais. We plan to purchase a Paris Visite pass for use while in Paris, but being totally unfamiliar with the city and having luggage am wondering what would be the best way to get from the airport to the hotel. I've seen some mentions of a shuttle on here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Jul 13th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Taxi, taxi, taxi. Get in the taxi line and take ONLY a taxi marked Taxi Parisien--any other taxi will overcharge. If there are two of you it is just about the same as a shuttle. Cost is about 40E and it is direct and quick.
Also the Paris Visite card is just not an economical purchase--and PARTICULARLY if you purchase it in advance of arrival in Paris. If you think you are going to use public transportation a lot on one day then buy a Mobilis pass for about 5E. Otherwise buy carnets of 10 tickets. If you are staying the majority of the following week you might like to get the Carte Orange for 13E which would be for unlimited use for the week Monday to Sunday midnight.
Jul 13th, 2003, 01:23 PM

We are planning to take the RER from CDG to our hotel (Michelet Odeon). I believe it's the B-line, with stops at Les Halles, St. Michel and Luxembourg. The fare is only EUR 7.62 and takes about 30 minutes. We only take a 22" wheeled case, and share a duffle that sits atop one of the suitcases, so we don't have a lot to cart around. We're hoping this works out well!
Jul 13th, 2003, 08:44 PM

We have use this shuttle service a few times...once just for my husband and myself and once we hired it privately for a group of 4. It was reasonably priced and reliable.
paris airport service" <[email protected]
Jul 13th, 2003, 09:26 PM

Another good shuttle service is PariShuttle. I have used it twice and have been quite satisfied with their service. Write their manager Mark Harris ([email protected]) to see what the cost would be. Their website (www.parishuttle.com) lists the cost for two as €34, but sometimes there is a discount for Fodorites. I guess the major advantage to a shuttle(besides slightly lower cost) is that the price is set, regardless of traffic and time of day.

I totally agree with Gretchen about Paris Visite. A carnet of 10 tickets costs €9.60, or get a Mobilis daypass for unlimited trips for one day, Carte Orange if you're there for at least M-W or Th.
Jul 14th, 2003, 04:16 AM

There is a clue here. The RER is a good way to get to Paris on the cheap if you have virtually no luggage and you know how to use the Metro. These folks do not know Paris. While many have had good luck with the shuttle services, others have reported problems and delays. For just a few Euros more than the shuttle, take a taxi and start your vacation in a relaxed way.
Jul 14th, 2003, 10:21 AM

One thing about the RER--be sure to keep your ticket as you need it to exit.
Jul 14th, 2003, 10:28 AM

I'm always amused by the posts about how HORRIBLE the Paris Visite is.

A 1-day Mobile pass, which gets the stamp of approval, is 5 euro per day for zones 1&2.
5 days = 25 euro.

The dreaded 5-day Paris Visite gives you 1 more zone (1-3), for 26.65. It also includes discounts at some dept. stores and museum shops.

All that fuss about 1.65 euro!

Yes, it isn't the best bet for everyone, a Carte Orange is cheaper if your schedule falls on the right days, or if you plan your trip closely, and use the Metro lightly, a Carnet (pack of 10 tickets), may be better for you. But it's silly to call the Paris Visite a big rip-off, as some have.
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:28 AM

The point about the PV card is that you must use the Metro/buses a LOT EVERY day to make it pay. Paris is very much a walking city which many first visitors don't realize--it is quite a compact city with wonderful walks. You use transportation much lessthan you might think. So, it isn't about 1.65E--it is about having flexibility in planning. And it is a definite rip-off if you buy it in advance of arrival.
Jul 14th, 2003, 02:42 PM

I sort of agree with Elberko to some extent -- I am always somewhat surprised at how much time people spend worrying about this one particular issue and whether one card/pass is a few euro cheaper than another. I don't think it's that big a deal within a major trip budget. I've been to Paris quite a lot and know this stuff backwards and forwards and don't even worry about it that much -- sometimes I buy carnets or Mobilis, sometimes the Carte Orange. I just don't worry about a few extra euro.

I would never buy any pass ahead of time from a travel agent, but I don't agree that is a matter of the PV being a ripoff -- that's a travel agent's fee and people who want to use one to buy stuff in advance and pay for it, I guess that's their choice.

I think the PV isn't that bad an idea for many people because it is convenient and you don't need a photo and it starts any day of the week. However, my personal habits is I'd never buy one because there's no point when five Mobilis are cheaper. Zone 3 is sort of pointless, so that's no perk, and I don't ever use any of the discounts. Some people might, though.

I actually never buy five Mobilis, though, as I sort of plan which days I'll be using transportation a lot and other days I might use individual tickets.

All in all, people worry about metro tickets way too much -- I hardly ever see people asking about Prague metro tickets, for example and they have a variety of different choices and passes. I think people worry too much about how to get into the city from the airport, also, based on minor differences in costs.
Jul 14th, 2003, 02:50 PM

BRAVO< Christina...all this worry about a few Euros..for passes or bringing a 100 or so Euros with you ..so it cost you 5 or 10 bucks ..inn the whole scheme of things ..if it eases your mind DO IT!
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:40 PM

Is it really that difficult to manage the RER with one roll-on luggage each? We did the metro from Gare du Nord with luggage 5 years ago, and I don't remember it being a problem. Does the RER involve a lot of steps? Now I'm getting concerned!
Jul 14th, 2003, 03:56 PM

Hagan -

Since you travel light, you shouldn't have any trouble at all with the RER. I always use it, with a rollaboard and tote bag, and my 60-plus mother has also managed it without difficulty.

The number of steps involved depends on which station(s) you use, and whether/where you would need to transfer. I've gone directly to either the St-Michel or Luxembourg stations and walked a few blocks above ground from there - which I find easier than going up and down to the "correspondence" to another line only to travel one more stop.
Jul 14th, 2003, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the assurance, Lesli.
We'll be getting off at the Luxembourg stop, as our hotel (Michelet Odeon) appears to be only a few blocks away. I feel more confident now!
Jul 14th, 2003, 04:25 PM

Hagan - I used the Luxembourg RER station to get back to CDG in May. My hotel was halfway between Luxembourg and San Michel stops but Luxembourg was much easier as there was no other line there. I can't remember if there was an escalator or not but it was very easy with my rolling bag! The tracks are right down the stairway. It is a straight run down the Rue de Medicis to your hotel at the Place de l'Odeon. Have a great trip!
Mara
Jul 14th, 2003, 06:33 PM

Saturday at noon, private taxi CDG to Marais will probably cost under 30 euros. Be sure to get in the taxi line and don't accept a lift from "helpful" guys who may meet you on your way to taxi line. Skip the PV pass, use single tickets on Sat and Sun and buy Carte Orange for use on Monday and the rest of the week. No need to pay for the PV pass--how many tourists go past zones 1 and 2 on the regular Carte Orange?
Jul 15th, 2003, 03:56 AM

Just got back from Paris and we (me, husband and 2 kids) used Beeshuttle. I found them on a few web sites and over the internet. They were excellent. The total charge was 37 euros (fullfare for 2 adults, no charge for one child and discount for the 11 yr. old.)We were going from the CDG to our hotel in the 7th. Their confirmation email said they would pick us up 30 minutes after our plane arrived and that we should call them when we got our bags. Well our plane arrive 30 minutes early and our bags were right there waiting for us so when I called them we were about 45 minutes early. They said that it would be no problem and that their driver would be there in 3 minutes. We walked out of the terminal and the driver approaced us and helped carry our bag to a very clean shuttle van. We were the only ones he took so we were at our hotel within an hour of our landing at CDG. The driver took us right to our hotel and carried our bags in. Bee shuttle did a great job.
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all the great advice. I think getting to the hotel will be much simpler than we expected, and we'll be able to start off a great trip w/out too much trouble. Our limited (very!) French has a little concerned, but I think that will be part of the adventure!