From Athens to Mykonos?

Search

From Athens to Mykonos?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Athens to Mykonos?

What is the best way to get to Mykonos Island from Athens? Distance, Time and Cost wise?

Is it true that it just takes 1 hours by ferry from Athens to Mykonos?

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 04:46 PM

The best and fastest way is to fly. Check the Aegean Airlines website for bargain fares.

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/

From Rafina the fastest ferry to Mykonos takes about 2 hours. From Piraeus the fastest ferry takes about 3.5 hours.

Check www.openseas.gr and www.gtp.gr for ferry schedules, but the upcoming season's schedules are nowhere near complete yet. You can also check the Blue Star Ferry and the Hellenic Seaways websites.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 11:56 PM

There is no one correct answer to that question. It depends on when you arrive in Athens, and whether you will leave directly from the airport or after a stay in the city.

Convenience: Ferries to Mykonos, both from Rafina and Piraeus, leave either early in the morning (around 7:30), or in the afternoon. Flights with Aegean and Olmypic Airlines are spaced more evenly throughout the day, from about 6:00am to 6:30 pm.

Travel Time: A flight takes about 40 minutes, while highspeed ferries take at least 2½ hours - longer for conventional ferries. For flights, add to the 40 minutes about 1½ hours you need to be at the airport in advance, and time to pick up your bags at Mykonos Airport. With ferries you need to be there only shortly before boarding, and the boat docks right in Mykonos Town. You can grab your bags and get off as soon as they lower the ramp.

Cost: Highspeed ferries charge about double the ticket price for conventional ferries, and flights are about three times more expensive. Aegean Airlines sometimes has cut rate fares, so check those out first.

Other: The scenery is much better from a ferry, and it's fun to watch during stops at the ports (it will stop at Tinos and possibly Syros before docking at Mykonos).

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the insights. I might do the ferry - it would be a nice change rather than taking the flight. I am planning to get the ferry tickets when in Athens - where I can decide whether to take the fastest ferry on not?

Thanks,
Mil
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM

There is a ticket agent, Amphitrion Travel, at Athens Airport. There are also ticket agents in central Athens and at the ports. Ferries to Mykonos depart from both Piraeus and Rafina, so you will have to find out when they are leaving before deciding which port to choose.

Rafina is nearest the airport, and also closer to Mykonos, so journey timea are shorter. If you are already in Athens, you may prefer to use Piraeus, which is easy to reach by metro. There are fewer departures to Mykonos, though, and ferries take about an hour longer to get there.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Great. Since I will be going in May, I can now plan things as per all of your suggestions. Thank you so much for the insight.

Ciao,

Mil
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Should I wait for Hellenics to release their schedule... The other ferry companies are practically booked up and the only available is in the smoking section - and being a non-smoker not sure if I can bear it for few hours!!
What do u guys think?
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM

>>The other ferry companies are practically booked up and the only available is in the smoking section...<<

You must be traveling on the weekend in May that university students descend on Mykonos, or there would be lots of places available on the ferries. Buy a deck class ticket, and you can sit in the fresh air and sunshine all the way to the island.

It is annoying that Hellenic Seaways waits so long to release their highspeed summer timetable, but that's the way it is. At least no one else will be able to book with them in the meantime, either.

If you are worried, go ahead and book tickets with one of the conventional ferries now. Otherwise, keep checking the Hellenic Seaways website, and get your booking in as soon as the timetable is released.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM

We will be taking the slower ferry from Rafina to Mykonos on May 23rd, is this the weekend that students "decent on Mykonos" and if so should I book the ferry tickets now and should I also consider pre booking a hotel if this weekends tends to be busy?
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 03:11 AM

Kumabear, our resident Mykonos expert, Thanos, hasn't been on this board for a while. According to him, every year in May there is a weekend or two when students gather in Mykonos, but I have been unable to find out when that will be this year.

Ordinarily I would say there is no need to advance book a ferry in May, but in this case it wouldn't hurt. Also consider Blue Star Ithiki, which sails from Piraeus at 0735.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM

Hi again, Kumabear

I asked about the student weekend on another forum, and was told that dates haven't been set yet, but it will be around the time you are traveling. It would be a good idea to prebook your ferry tickets just in case.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

I emailed Hellenics and they informed me that their schedule would be release mid-April. I plan to wait for them to release their schedule and then book it. At least I have better options to select from!

Thanks for all your advice.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM

I think Hellenic Seaways' schedules are now available. The route from Mykonos>Paros>Ios>Santorini>Crete can be found here: http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 04:49 PM

I booked the slow ferry from Rafina to Mykonos, I figures our first leg it would be nice to enjoy looking around from the deck, I booked it because I noticed that there were a few boats already fully booked up (May 23rd), Im wondering if I need to prebook from Mykonos to Santorini-we will head out from Mykonos on monday 26th of May-also curious if we should take the slow ferry (how long does this take) or the fast ferry-I know with the fast ferry we wouldn't get to see much of the sights from the boat, so Im just trying to decide if the sights from the boat are a good enough reason to tkae the slow ferry. Interested to hear from people who can recommend one way or another...What website to do I look on for the slower ferry to Santorini, haven't been able to find it yet.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:50 AM

Mykonos to Santorini ferries won't be affected by the student invasion. The FlyingCat 4 direct connection is now out, so you can book that ferry if you want peace of mind, but it really shouldn't be necessary.

You other option is a morning ferry to Paros or Naxos, where you can hook up with Blue Star for the remainder of your journey to Santorini. Blue Star leaves Paros at 11:40am and arrives on Santorini at 3:00pm, offering wonderful views as you enter the caldera.

At the moment the only ferry I can find that would get you to Paros on time is SeaJet 2, not the most reliable catamaran in my experience. When Hellenic Seaways releases their highspeed timetable there may also be a ferry from Mykonos to Naxos, where you can pick up Blue Star at its next stop after Paros.

It would be worth waiting, IMO, until all the ferry schedules are out before making up your mind. Were it me, I would just buy a ticket on Mykonos, but I can understand wanting to have everything sorted out in advance.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

On the Hellenic ferry from Athens to Mykonos -

Whats the difference between Business Class & Economy Class if the price is the same?

Which one would you recommend I book?

Thanks.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:17 AM

I think that's a mistake. Can you provide a link to where you see the same price for both economy and business tickets?
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=80

I might book the Business Class - Table (does any one know if I want to sit by the window - what would be a better option in Business Class)?