Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get from Santorini to Mykonos? Mykonos to Athens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three girls traveling together for a 10 day vacation in Greece. I will be arriving in Santorini in July and need to find the best transportation to Mykonos. We would prefer to stay as late as possible in Santorini but would also prefer the most cost friendly option. We would also like the same advice for Mykonos to Athens.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 08:32 PM

Use http://www.gtp.gr to determine your options on your proposed travel dates. You can either go direct or you can go to Naxos or Paros first by car ferry, then on to Mykonos, depending on the ferry schedules. The direct ferry is a highspeed ferry and costs approximately double what a conventional car ferry costs.

Use the link to http://www.danae.gr to make a trial booking to see ticket prices. The distances are short so basic economy tickets are sufficient.

Returning to Athens, from Mykonos you can take a ferry to Piraeus, or one to Rafina and then a bus to Athens.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 10:15 AM

I agree with brotherleelove, but be aware that if you book with danae.gr you have to pick up your tickets in Athens or from Amphitrion Holidays at the airport. These are useful tools to determine what ferries are available, but it's best to book directly with the ferry company, be it Hellenic Seaways, Blue Star Ferries, or whatever.

If you want to switch ferries so you can go part of the way by conventional vessel your best bet would be to take Highspeed 6 to Ios, then from Ios to Mykonos by Blue Star Ithaki. You will leave Santorini at 1210, arrive on Ios at 1300, then have a 2½ hour layover on Ios before boarding Blue Star Ithaki at 1530. The Blue Star will arrive on Mykonos at 1925. It might be fun to go to the beach or up to chora while waiting for the Blue Star on Ios.

Were it me, for Santorini to Mykonos I would take Highspeed 5, a large car-carrying catamaran that leaves at 1200 and goes directly between the two islands. For Mykonos to Athens you have a choice of several ferries, most going to Rafina but some to Piraeus. There will be ferries leaving right up until early evening. Piraeus is most convenient for travellers who will be staying in Athens, while Rafina is near Athens Airport.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 10:19 AM

BTW, after seeing Ios you may wish you'd stayed there rather than going on to Mykonos. It all depends upon your budget, age, and interests, of course. ;-)
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

This was all very useful...thank you so much for your input!