French Riviera Hotels

Jul 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

French Riviera Hotels

My husband and I prefer to stay in smaller towns. What recommendations do you have for towns such as Ville-Franche (for September) for rooms with views, under E200/night?
Jul 11th, 2009, 07:08 PM

Ma'am,
I would recommend Cheateau de la Chevre d'Or in Eze sur Mer as the views are heavenly. I know it is a little higher than what you wish to pay but having been there once; I would pay anything to go back and admire the 1,200ft views overlooking the Med in the quaint village of Eze. I just do not have the time these days. Please give it due consideration--we only live once.
Jul 12th, 2009, 12:57 AM

I believe that the Chevre d'Or is in Eze, a fortified village which sits 1300 feet above the sea. Eze sur Mer is at sea level. That said, the hotel and its principal restaurant are world class and priced accordingly.

You might investigate Le Panoramic, a three star in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, with beautiful views above the water.
Jul 12th, 2009, 05:54 AM

We stayed in Roquebrune Cap Martin at the Hotel Deux Freres in the room Nuit de Noce. If you look at the website and the hotel rooms (http://www.lesdeuxfreres.com/en/hotel.html) the photo on the right with the view down the coast is at the foot of the bed in that room. They are showing a room rate of 110 euros. It is a small room but what a view!!!
We also stayed at the Hotel Welcome in Villefranche sur Mer and had a seaside corner room with two balconies for less than 200 euros.
Both were great places to stay with friendly people. With Roquebrune though you can't drive up to the front door so if walking is a problem you should take that into consideration.
Jul 13th, 2009, 08:36 AM

In 2005 we stayed at the Brise Marine in St. Jean Cap Ferrat which was walking distance from all the harbor restaurants, and the famous garden.

It was clean and adequate with a lovely water view. However, we did have to climb 3 flights of stairs to our room -- with luggage. I think when we left, the maid carried it down.

I remember they had a tortoise in the garden.
Jul 15th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all; just booked at Hotel Welcome!
Jul 16th, 2009, 08:24 AM

This is what I wrote in my trip report about my stay:
The Hotel Welcome was right on the water in Villefranche-sur-Mer. We had room #42 which had two little balconies. One faced the Citadel (which we never got to) and the other the harbor and across to Cap Ferrat. We didn’t eat breakfast at the hotel expect for room service on the last morning when we were trying to get to Isle-sur-la-Sorge for the market. The other three mornings we walked up the hill to the Café de la Paix in the square. The first two weekday mornings we had a lovely Petit Dejeuner which included a hot drink, fresh orange juice, bread, butter and jam for 6€ each. The third weekend morning was a disaster! The chocolate and coffee were more than 60% just plain water. Our limited French didn’t allow for us to complain effectively and the waitress knew it. So go on a weekday!

Also we had a fabulous meal in a little restaurant call L'Eschalote. It was up the hill in the old town.
Jul 21st, 2009, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanx, AGM_Cape_Cod for your suggestions!