Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

French Riviera - 4 Nights in July - Where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am planning a trip to France with my boyfriend this July, and we'd like to end it with 4 nights on the Riviera. We have an early morning flight home out of Nice, so we will spend our last day and night there, but several friends who have been have recommended we stay elsewhere for the other 3 nights. I've lived in France before but have never been to that part of the country, and would love some advice on where to go! We're pretty open to anything, but here's some info that might help:
-We're aware the area is expensive and are willing to splurge a bit, but we're on a relatively tight budget (I'm a full-time graduate student.)
-We are in our mid-20's, and enjoy nightlife and having a good time but aren't crazy partiers. We'd be just as happy with a smaller town off the beaten tourist track(especially if it was cheaper) as a big city, as long as it was easily accessible by train and not far from a city/other interesting locations where we might be able to take a day trip if we are tired of the beach.
-We will just have spent a fair bit of time in Lyon (I'll be studying there and he'll be joining me for the last 5 days of my program.)
-We won't have a car, so accessibility by train/bus is a must.

I'm currently looking into Antibes-Juan les Pins, Cannes, and Menton, but just am not sure where else to look. Any advice you might have about where to stay, what to do, and ESPECIALLY how to make this trip (relatively) affordable would be greatly appreciated!

frenchyface
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Skip Cannes; it's the most expensive of the towns you mention and in July will be a madhouse. But so will most of the Côte d'Azur. Do you want to be near a beach or is inland okay? If so, I'd recommend the nice little town of Mouans-Sartoux, near Grasse and Valbonne. From there you can take the train down to Cannes and transfer for routes along the coast.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:57 AM

I'd suggest you stay in Nice. There are many hotel options so you should find something to fit your budget plus the food and nightlife choices are extremely varied. From Nice it is so easy to take public transportation to other places for some day trips.
I think Antibes would also be a pretty good choice if you want a smaller place--it's still large enough to offer a good variety in food and lodging.
Menton is a pretty city but for me would be a little isolated and you'd likely spend more time than you want getting to other places.
I agree with a previous poster that Cannes would likely be the most expensive choice.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:15 AM

I stay in Nice. I love it. I'm going there again on April 21. You can stay as cheap or as expensive as you like. There are 2* hotels for as little as 76€ per night-breakfast included. The one that I stay at is also air conditioned. The hotels closer to the water are of course more expensive. I do like to go to Antibes, and Villefranche on a day trip.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the all the great advice - keep it coming! Underhill, we would prefer to be near the beach, although a day trip inland is certainly not out of the question. We don't necessarily need a major city and in many ways would be happier to get away from at least the 2 or 3 most mobbed touristy areas (though I suspect this time of year we won't have much luck escaping throngs of tourists anywhere!)

I think I am beginning to zero in on Antibes as a good option for us, but based on what you've all said perhaps I should not entirely rule out Nice either. We could always do two nights in one place and two nights in the other. Is there much difference in the cost of food, nightlife, etc between the two places?

Also, as far as crowds, should I expect Antibes to be just as crowded as Nice and Cannes, or might it be a *little* better? Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM

scatcat,

I'm looking for an inexpensive hotel for 1 night in Nice before our flight home, in September. Which hotel do you stay in?

Thanks so much.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:37 PM

I have been staying in the same hotel since the budget days of 1983. It is Hotel Amaryllis. 2* with air conditioning that actually works. That is one reason I still stay there and also I knew the owner quite well. He recently sold the hotel, so I hope it is still okay. I was there just last September and it was still the same. It is clean and no bugs and it is really close to the train station-only about 2 blocks away. It is less than a block away from Ave. Jean Medicine. There are many inexpensive places to eat right there. A delicious bakery directly across the street. And there is a police sub-station across the street. McDonalds, KFC, H&M, and Monoprix really close on Jean Medicine. The new tram is running now. I saw the video and it looks really nice.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 05:36 AM

Thanks so much.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Staying near the beaches will mean crowds in July--no getting away from them. The whole strip of the Côte d'Azur from St-Tropez to Menton will be mobbed; so where you choose to stay won't make much difference on that point. We love Nice: lots to do and see, and generally good prices. If you want more of a small-town feel, however, Antibes would be just fine, and the beaches there are sandy rather than rocky.

For something different, stay out on the peninsula of St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat; there's a nice small beach by the marina, used mostly by locals.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM

hi, has anyone stayed at the Hotel Amarylis recently? The trip adivor reports on it are quit old. Thanks! Also, what are your fav under $100E hotels in Nice and Antibes? Many thanks!
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Eze

I know one in Beaulieu sur mer
Small, quiet and clean, if it helps.
euros 80 breakfast included for a double.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:02 PM

hi Eze,
I'd love the name of the hotel you mentioned and more info on Beaulieu if you've stayed there. Merci,
Dawn
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:45 PM

I have not stayed there, but a friend has and her pictures are to die for,

Check out ( google for amazing photos) Cassis.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Eze

I have never stayed in hotel Riviera since i live in Eze bord de mer (2 miles east from Beaulieu sur mer).
Sorry about that.
Please google Beaulieu sur mer and you will discover this small sea side town at a walking distance from St Jean Cap Ferrat !
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Dawnie

I didn't go to Nice on my September trip, but I did stay at the Hotel Amaryllis in June. I've been staying there for years. The main thing is the good air conditioning and it is really close to the train station. You can also catch the tram about a short block away. The hotel itself could use a remodeling. The carpet and bedspreads are worn. There are no good views from the hotel and a small elevator. But for the cost, it is not bad at all.