Is 6 nights in Monaco in July too long?

Feb 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM
mvs
Original Poster

Is 6 nights in Monaco in July too long?

My wife & I were thinking about going on a business/pleasure trip to Monaco for 6 nights in July. We really wouldn't be gambling, but we do enjoy great restaurants (the casual ones) and enjoy people watching, cafe's and having espresso/wine, etc. Are there some good casual (resort attire, not jackets/ties) restaurants and bars in Monaco, or is everything there geared for the rich & famous? Also, could we use Monaco as a base to explore the rest of the Cote D'Azur and is it easy to take day trips from there? Thanks for your help!!
Feb 25th, 2006, 07:25 PM

I hope a Monaco lover turns up to give you a different point of view, but I disliked Monaco almost on sight, and I have often described it to other people as reminding me of an open-air hospital. I myself have gray hairs, but there are so many very elderly and retired in Monaco, my impression is that the retired wealthy really dominate the scene.

Also, Monaco is extremely built up with huge modern apartment/condo buildings (they look like hospitals). I mean, all over the hillside. It's not scenic at all -- unless I really missed something.

I'm not really familiar with the French Riviera, so I can't suggest an alternative, unless you are up to someplace as lively as Nice. But I can recommend that you visit the Slow Travel website and use its France message board to ask there where is the best place to spend 6 nights on the French riviera.

I am sure you will get a lot of great help in finding some place special.

Feb 25th, 2006, 07:27 PM

ooops! I just noticed that part of your trip is business, so staying in Monaco might be mandatory. I still recommend asking over at the Slow Travel site for recommendations for relaxed eateries, and excursions to nearby towns.

Monaco is certainly within striking distance of many lovely places, both on and off the coast.
Feb 25th, 2006, 08:06 PM

Monaco would be a good base for a one week stay. To mix things up, I would go on two or three daytrips by train to Nice, Eze Village, and/or Cannes.

Woody
Feb 26th, 2006, 05:06 AM
sandi

We used Monaco as a base many years ago. It was built up for as many years as I an remember, but it was lovely.

With a rented car we were able to day trips east into Italy as far as San Remo; west as far as Cannes. In between Nice and the hill towns. We spent most evenings in Monaco, though a few in Nice and one in Menton. Neither of us a great gamblers, but did a turn at the tables one or two nights. With few exceptions, where black tie or nice business/dress attire is expected - plenty of casual eateries in Monaco and every other town along the Cote d'Azur.

Monaco is a great place for "people watching" - a seat at the Cafe across from the Hotel de Paris is perfect for this.