Search

French Riviera

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Riviera

My husband & I are planning to use our timeshare at one of the cities on the French Riviera sometime during 2004. We will be flying out of Houston, and are flexible as to where and when we fly. Our questions are 1) what city is most recommended; 2)where is the most cost-effective and time-efficient place to fly into; and 3)what time of the year is best? We just want to beach it and sightsee while we are there. Any recommendations are most appreciated!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:18 AM

Either Marseilles or Nice would be fine. I don't think it matters that much, I've flown into both and they are both fairly reasonable airports with easy access to other areas or major roads. I'd just pick the one closest to where I was going. If you mean by beach it that you like to swim in the ocean and sunbathe, I would go late Spring or maybe June. Things get very crowded July-August. I was there in September one year and it wasn't warm enough for that kind of stuff then, although lovely weather for sightseeing.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:35 PM

Been to Nice twice at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct. Had GREAT weather both times, was still warm enough to go in the sea and sunbathe while not too hot to go siteseeing. Nice is a very easy airport to get around in and is has a beautiful view while you are landing and taking off.<BR><BR>Wore sundressses during the day and took a sweater along at nite and was very comfortable.<BR><BR>This time of the year is at the end of the tourist season, so some of the beach areas are shut down during the week, but not all, and you can easily see museums, the gardens, etc without hoards of other people all around.<BR><BR>Have Fun, I wish I could go again this year.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:51 PM

It might be helpful for you to list what city options you have for your timeshare. Don't know what would be most cost-effective for you. You'd have to check options. September is a spectacular time to go as girlnextdoor says. June is also nice but can be very warm. I'd want a/c in June.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:06 PM

Hi,<BR><BR>I agree with the other poster. Depends where your timeshare pick is located, but overall, I'd pick Nice. Don't know what kind of air service you have out of Houston, but from New York, you can take Delta nonstop to Nice and be on the beach within about two hours of landing. As for time of year, I think end of May- middle of June is the best, or early September. We have gone both in July and AUgust, and the crowds are definitely worse in August, when most of France goes on holiday. From Nice, it's extremely easy to get to most of the hilltowns (St. Paul De Vence and Eze) and Monaco by either bus or train, or, car obviously. Have a great time!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 08:12 AM

Loved Nice. Took day trips to Canne, Monaco, Cap Ferrat, etc. Nice is a really good base and very pretty palm tree lined streets, etc. Good outdoor pizza places and restaurants and the people were wonderful! We had a wonderful time and will go back again soon! Enjoy!