Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Menton-Beaulier sur Mer - winter or early summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2018, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am retiring - yay! Jan 11, 2019 and would like a 'celebration trip'. I have wanted to go to the Fete du Citron (Lemon Festival) In Menton for a few years now. I love lemons - food and products. Beaulieu sur Mer also looks like a sweet town. I would be going either Feb 27-March 4 or early June. I love the sea and would love to be able to sun and swim which means summer. But of course the price is cheaper at the end of February. I know it won't be super warm but probably warmer than central PA. The cost would be about $1000 for air and hotels (2 nights Menton, 1 night Beaulieu sur Mer, 1 night Nice) for the Lemon Festival dates or about $1500 early June.

Any thoughts? If I have to wait until June I will still want to go somewhere after I retire but it would need to be a modest trip cost-wise....
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 09:58 AM

Menton is lovely and although the weather is difficult to predict at that time of year it does have some of the best weather in France; that being said 50s are most likely. June obviously would be better for weather, by good measure --- be sure to save room to bring home all the citron jams and other products (I love the confiserie factory right off the main street in the old section). I've not been during the Citron festival, however (we have a place in Nice)

Is there a special reason you are transferring to Beaulieu sur Mer for just one night (and Nice -- other than for an early flight). It is quite reachable by train from Menton (or Nice) and you do lose so much time in making transfers on such a short trip.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 10:09 AM

My sister retired a few years ago in January and she really wanted a celebration trip in Europe. We researched January weather and found, at that time, the Cote d'Azur had the mildest temperatures (historically). We spent a week in Antibes with a rental car and had pleasant weather (temps in the 50s-60s, sunny) the entire week. We did some hiking and the weather was perfect for that.

Traveling then wouldn't have been my first choice but it turned out to be a great trip.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

I figured Menton would be pretty busy with the festival and thought it might be relaxing to spend a day/night in Beaulieu sur Mer, perhaps visit the villas.
I've been to Nice and don't need to spend time there, just the night before flying out. I thought I'd go to the market in Ventimiglia on Friday. I am just wondering if it is a shame not to go when I an sun, swim and pack summer clothes. (of course the Royal Rivera is twice the cost in June -- perhaps September would be better?)
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 12:50 AM

It can be nice enough to have lunch outside in February/March. If you want to swim and sunbathe - then obviously go in June (though we've had rain in June as well there, there are no guarantees).
For sightseeing late February/March is much better.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 07:31 AM

I think it's debatable whether Feb/March is "much better" than June. July and August are the worst for crowds, but the first half of June can be just fine, with better weather and the full array of seasonal services (especially as you get into countryside or want to take a tourist excursion -- granted that may not be relevant for the OP's short trip). September is a favorite of many as the water is still quite warm (in June it hasn't heated all the way up yet).
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 10:22 AM

Go in June. Much more fun and not too crowded.
Stay in Menton if you wish.
Visit Nice, Beaulieu, Cannes, etc.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

September might be good weather for swimming and oerhaps season winding down. . Beaulieu sur mer might. Be a little too quiet in winter -
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 03:43 PM

September would provide better weather. We also have a love for everything lemon, and have and have always wanted to go to the Lemon Festival. But February just does not work for us. Go to the Caribbean to celebrate your retirement. We have been to the French Riviera three times and especially enjoyed Beaulieu and Cap Ferrat. If you are up to it, the path from Beaulieu to Cap Ferrat is one of the best walks anywhere, except for the two longer panoramic walks around the Cap Ferrat peninsula.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a lot of moving around for four nights. Why not stay in one place, it would be much more relaxing. We stayed in Nice over Christmas week one year and the weather was fairly mild and sunny. We caught the bus to Beaulieu-sur-Mer, cheap and easy. We walked from the bus stop to Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild which was lovely.

Kay
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 02:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Beaulieu sur Mer is in a wonderful location. You have Villa Kerylos there and can walk to Villa Ephrussi. It would be my choice of the place to stay.
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

I decided on Seville Spain for my winter retirement celebration and will plan on French Riviera in September.
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 05:17 PM

Probably not beach weather then but it might be as warm as it gets in the Med area in the winter. Instead of Menton's lemon festival, in late February, you might get to enjoy the aromatic orange blossoms in Seville. If there are any oranges left from the prior season, don't eat them, they are sour (sweetened for jams). But they help make Seville the extra special place it is.
Old Nov 4th, 2018, 04:25 AM

September on the Rivirera is superb. French holidays are over, people are back at work, but a lot of grandpas and grandmas stay with their greatchildren. SO still busy, everything is open (arrière-saison would it be called).
Weather is usually still perfect for swimming and less hot - more in upper 20C's than above 30C's.
Menton is more a town for oldtimer (albeit I'll reach that stage) so for future referecen, I'd just spend a daytrip there (which is what we did). We did the lemon 3 times, and I'll pass for a few years. You really only need half a day in Menton.
Never been to Beaulieu though.
Old Nov 4th, 2018, 08:03 AM

I think that will be a great choice!