French music

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Gerry K

French music

Can someone recommend a CD of French instrumental music, classical or popular, that I might enjoy before heading off to Paris? (Light and basic preferred)

Many thanks,

GK

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Gerry K

Answer found under "Text Search"

Sorry 'bout that.

GK

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Christina

Well, that is one of my avocations tudied French repertoire and piano technique in Paris twice, as well as always attending many concerts so I don't mind talking about it at all. I do recall there was a thread probably one time on this.

Classical is such a vast subject, so I won't recommend too much specific unless you really want something more than you've seen and have a particular period or genre you'd like recommendations on (orchestral, piano, chamber music, Classical, Romantic or Contemporary period?). One of my favorite periods is early 20th Century, probably --Debussy and Ravel, Ravel is one of my most favorite composers; his piano concertos are wonderful, very accessible. Here are just a very few CDs I might recommend for a tasting of a variety of French composers that I think would appeal to most:

French Piano Trios (Saint-Saens, Debussy & Faure):Golub, Kaplan and Carr Trio. Arabesque label
French Music for Clarinet & Piano: Gervase de Peyer and Gwenneth Pryor, Chandos label
French Music for Piano & Orchestra (Franck, Faure & d'Indy), Naxos label

For popular--she's not French, but one of my favorite CDs is "Under Paris Skies" by Karen Akers, it has a lot of the classic cabaret songs such as Edith Piaf sang; also not French by another favorite is "From Paris to Rio" by Karrin Allyson which has both French and Brazilian songs. Francis Cabrel's "Samedi Soir sur la Terre" is one of his best, I think, and a more contemporary CD is "Princesses Nubiennes" by Les Nubians. The soundtrack from the movie French Kiss isn't bad, I think, and easy to find.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Sat night special

Check out a group called: Lee-nerd ski-nerd.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 05:57 PM
mimi taylor

Gerry , here's a francophile site I belong to . This is mostly singers but you'll find other things to help with your trip.
http://groups.msn.com/DestinationPar...tandlinks.msnw

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Red

This one got me going: Costes: La Suite

It's a CD done by the DJ at the Hotel Costes. Fabulous.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Gerry K

Many thanks for your help, Folks. I'll head off to Amazon and spend some money.

Gerry K

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 04:40 AM
pam

Hey Gerry. I remembered this thread from awhile back and remembered there were some very good recommendations made.
There are several other threads on "french music" and if you'd like more information, try doing a search here. Enjoy!http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...t=0&searchText