Free time on tours?

Jun 1st, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Free time on tours?

We have never taken a tour, and I am wondering about free time. I know it will be different on each tour, however is it possible to go off on your own for awhile, say if they are making a visit to something your not interested in,as long as you return to the bus at the scheduled time?
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:03 AM
P_M

As long as you make the bus on time, there's no reason you can't do your own thing. I was on a tour once where the guide took us to a demonstration of leather crafting. It took me about 30 seconds to realize what a snoozer this would be, so I went off on my own. Thank God this took place in downtown Florence where there was plenty to do. It was my vacation, and I felt no guilt for spending my time as I pleased.

Tours sell a lot of optional excursions, and many people use that time to go out on their own instead of buying these excursions. As you stated, each tour is different, so pay close attention to the itenerary to determine how much time will be spent on the bus and how much time will be free.
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:54 PM

If you decide to go on your own, be sure to let the guide know you are joining the group again and where.

Hate to have them all get to the bus early and leave because they didn't know where or if you were planning to rejoin the group.

Keith
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I think we will do o.k. then. Didn''t want to do anything that would be frowned upon and cause problems for other travelers. Now I am getting concerned about our ages (late 50's and early 60's) as we plan on a cosmos trip and it sounds like there may be mostly younger travelers. But, we're going anyway, as that trip offers the stops we want.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:35 AM
P_M

I have done several Cosmos trips and yes, there are a few more young people, but there are still plenty of people of all ages. I don't think you will feel out of place. You will have a great time!!