Search

Would we have fun?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would we have fun?

Hi All,
First, my apologies for the length of this note...I am hoping you can help me make a decision about booking a trip to Ireland or not. My parents and aunt and uncle have booked the Glimpse of Ireland tour through Brendan Vacations in Sept. 06. They had invited my husband and I (both age 32) to go with them, and we initally declined due to prior committments. However, recently, we have started to reconsider making the trip with them. My husband and I completely adore my family, especially my mom and dad, and we always have an absolute BALL together. Also, I realize that this may be a once in a lifetime chance to travel with them internationally, especially since my husband and I plan to start our family very soon and most likely will not want to travel internationally for quite a while after we do so. SO, lately, we have been reconsidering going, and in fact, have thought about surprising them by showing up out of the blue at the airport. They would be absolutely floored and ecstatic! My husband and I both love to travel, but are concerned about the organized bus aspect of the trip (we are free spirits and worry about the horror tales of getting up at 6 am to sit on a bus for 3 hours), and also, without being inconsiderate, the posts I have read that the average age of tour travelers is late 70's. So I would love your opinions... would we have fun on this trip? In part I feel that being in Ireland with my husband and parents would be fun no matter what, but some of these posts have scared me! Your thoughts are so appreciated!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:21 AM

You should definitely go! You are young and don't have to worry about childcare. You may never have the opportunity to travel with your parents and aunt and uncle again. Don't miss the chance to make what may be some of the most cherished memories you may have with them. You never know what the future will bring. Don't worry about the bus tours. A lot of people think they're quite fun! Go with a good attitude and roll with the punches. Don't let those who opppose guided group tours discourage you from going. People have differing opinions on how to travel. Go and judge for yourself, but definitely go!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:26 AM

I have been on several bus tours and while the average age was older...I would say it was more like 60..not 70's. I would say that people of that age seem to be in better shape these days and we had good fun with many of the people we met. Age is a mindset and I think many people are young at heart.

Bus tours do tend to me more regimented in their schedule. You are often required to be ready for an early departure in the morning. We found most evening meals were planned quite early as well. The schedule can be hectic but we have found time for ourselves on many of our trips.

I have been on some tours where there were a few long days of travel in order to get from one destination to another but since you are doing a regional tour, it may not be so bad.

I think it would be a great opportunity for you to travel with your parents. I would make arrangements in advance with the tour company to request rooms together. While this can not be guaranteed, the hotel will usually do what it can at the time of check in to accommodate these requests.

I would say go for it and enjoy!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:37 AM

Let's see if I can post this...Foders tech issues. I can't imagine, if the tour isn't full and you have this opportunity, that you wouldn't take it. Time goes by very quickly and this may be one of the best chances you will have to travel with your parents. Perhaps this kind of tour isn't your "dream" trip to Ireland, but you will find it fun. Brenden and Globus are a sort of "middle ground" tour groups so they are NOT low budget, but are still cheap enough for many different people to be able to afford them. Of course each tour group will be different, but the tour I took in 1999 had people rangeing in age from a 13 year old with her parents, two sets of honeymooners, two single gals in their mid 20's, several couples in their 40's and 50's and there was one couple that was probably in their 70's...so it seems it's all over the map. There are usually "add on" excursions with most of the tours, and if you don't want to partake of all that are offered, there is usually a fair amount of free time if you want it. On the tour I took, if you didn't buy the extras, we actually had every afternoon free to do as we wished. The tour brochure will be very explicit about what meals are included, what sites are included, what extra tours are offered etc., so just read it carefully. Even if the dinner, for example, was included, there were a couple of nights that we just went off on our own anyway. I wasn't locked into the "well we paid for it so we must eat with the group" thing. It wasn't that big a deal to me. We had a pretty good group actually and certain people seemed to "click" and would kind of hang with each other. I didn't really "bond" with anyone, but enjoyed many of the group. There WERE a couple of real "drips" in the group, but the rest of us just made fun of them behind their backs, so that worked. LOL
So, that was my experience. I have since been traveling on my own because it's just worked out that way, and at some point in time I certainly would not hesitate to take another tour if I felt it was the best way to go for a particular destination or situation. I think you should go on this and have the experience with your parents before you life totally changes..babies have a way of changing ones priorities.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:40 AM

I say go! My host brother and I took a trip together on an organized tour (Galicia and Portugal) and once we got there we realized that the average age of the tour was, indeed, upper 60s. And there we were, 18 and 27, rocking it with the grandparents. We actually ended up having a wonderful time. All the people on the tour were really sweet and they were those old people with a lot of "get up and go." Normally when older people decide to travel, they do so because they want to experience the trip, which is a fabulous attitude to have in travel companions.

go!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the answer to your question lies in your own words: "being in Ireland with my husband and parents would be fun no matter what". Unless you can not tolerate early mornings and long bus rides for the sake of that experience, I think your idea sounds wonderful.

The age of the other tourists won't matter so much, since you are not looking for company but will be going with companions of your own. And this is a great way of traveling with your parents without needing a group consensus on all the decisions that independent travel entails. If you are correct in your assessment of their response to your surprise, their reaction alone should be worth the price of admission.

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:47 AM

I don't like organized tours and you could have even read one of my posts on this board. But, in this situation, you should go. IN A HEARTBEAT! Ireland is small and there aren't going to be long rides on the bus. You'll have some free time - and even not, you'll be with loved ones. My mom and I went solo to Ireland 16 years ago and the memories were priceless. But, if I were to travel with mom and dad, aunt and uncle even then (when mom was younger) the tour would have been a better option. Less stress - more time to spend with loved ones!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:50 AM

get in
sit down
shut up
and hold on..

I think you will have a wonderful time and please enjoy every minute with your loved ones...
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:57 AM

Go, but for goodness sake, don't surprise your parents! Let them know beforehand so they can share your excitement.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:15 AM

Go! I've found over the years that I'm far more likely to regret the opportunities I've passed up than the things I've done. I hope I phrased that in a way that makes sense!

A bus tour wouldn't be my first choice either. But when chances like this are handed to you, you've just gotta go with the flow! This sounds to me like one of those "meant to be" things.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:28 AM

Going on a tour with a bunch of old folks in Ireland vs. not going to Ireland at all??? No contest.

Ireland is magical, no matter how you go or who you go with.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Definitely go!!! But don't make it a surprise at the airport, tell them now. I'm not an organized tour person myself, but knowing the details of your situation, I wouldn't miss it for the world.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:48 AM

Think forward to September.......

Will you be having more fun sitting at home cleaning the bathroom than on a bus in Ireland with your loving family? Hmmmm?

I think GO, the downside potential is miniscule compared to the upside potential!

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:55 AM

Absolutely go, don't think twice about it, and by all means, let them know now so they can share in your excitement as the days approach!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:55 AM

NY...please heed the majority..GO! By all means, and a grand time is in store for ye!
As for the older folks on the tour, saints and begorrah! Most of them will probably run you around the block and back. You will find that the 60's and 70's and even the 80's on the Brendan Tour will demonstrate a refreshing laid-back, pleasant attitude...and listen to them, dear, listen to them...they've all got life's experience in story form to tell ya! I oughta know...I'm a shade over 77!! We still travel indpednetly, but last month after driving through South of France and Provence, we had books a one week barge trip in Alsace...19 people on board and it was deligthfully relaxing. Naw, I wasn't the odest...a dapper guy from Florida at a very young and agile 85 had that honor...a young couple in their 30's from Canada, by far the youngest on board had a marvelous time and seemed to always choose our table for dinner.

Enjoy the prizes of Ireland, kids! Where the older citizens are honored by all.

Stu T.
Hang loose and have fun, dears! Enjoy every minute of being on tour with mom and dad, aunt and uncle....

Stu T.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:00 AM

Where do people get the idea they'll have to sit on a bus 3 hours (or all day!!). There are always lots of elderly folks on any tour bus, they just can't hold that long, and each bus driver prefers to keep the lavatory clean, so they make frequent stops.

Globus and Brendan are now the same. There is one combined tour. I bought mine through Globus, the age was mixed.

People who bought the tour through Brendan, were all retired.

Are you buying your flight through this agency, too? Double-check the dates and connection time.

Getting up at 6 am will be easy - you will be in a different time zone! And you will have free time too. I believe not all meals are included. Also you can go off on your own during the "optionals" time if you don't want to buy an additional tour.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
ira

Hi NY,

> I feel that being in Ireland with my husband and parents would be fun no matter what,...<

Go with your instincts and don't listen to horror stories.

If them old fogies can get up at 06:00 and ride for 3 hrs on a bus, so can you.

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
it's not a majority vote, it's unanimous... start packing!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:09 PM

You say they invited you to accompany them on their Ireland Tour. Does this mean you will be their Guests or will you be paying your own way? Either way, I think you should go! If you're paying your own way you could skip the Brendan Tours but meet up with them at as many oof their destinations as you choose. That gives you independence to visit the places you wish and the opportunity to join them along the way.

You and your husband might want to stay longer than the Brendan Tours covers.

I think Brendan Tours probably uses 4-star hotels and has a 'deal' with the Hotels but you should be able to find B&B's nearby.

I've stayed at Hotels where TourBus people were staying and they always allow time for breakfast before people have to board the bus. Most Hotels don't start serving breakfast until 8:00 AM although B&B's often prepare your breakfast (by request) as early as 6:45 AM.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:25 AM
ira

ttt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -