Free entertainment in London, from BH

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This month starts a half year in which you can hear any number of free lectures. You can rest your feet and exercise your mind. If you set Google to London Lectures Haines you will find a list on victorianresearch.org/lectures.html. I have selected just one day, 19 October.
Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Day Conference. The Science of Violence. The Royal Society, Piccadilly Circus tube.

12.30. The philosophy of perceptual constancy and visual space. Room ST273, Stewart House, Senate House, Russell Square tube.

1pm. Pathogens and parasites; plagues and pandemics. Gresham College, Behind Menswear shop. Chancery Lane tube

1.15. Prosopagnosia: when you are unable to recognize other humans by their faces. Darwin Lecture Theatre, University College London. Euston Square tube.

2 to 5. Knowledge Sharing and Practice Innovation in the 21st Century. Register [email protected]. Programme https://www.imperial.ac.uk/spectrum/...ace/events.htm Tanaka Business School, Imperial College, South Kensington tube

1.30 tea. 2 to 5. Inland Waterways, a 21st Century Resource, not an 18th Century Relic. Institution of Civil Engineers, 1 Great George Street. Westminster tube

5pm. Schenker's 'Hammerklavier'. Room NG 14, Institute of Musical Research, Senate House, Russell Square tube.

5pm. Ending the British Slave Trade: Economics and Abolition. Menzies Room, Institute for Commonwealth Studies, Russell Square

5pm. Beyond war and community: The Middle East and the study of social science. Room 309, Richard Hoggart Building, Goldsmiths University of London, New Cross Gate tube

5.15. Johannes Kelpius,1673 to 1708, pastor and hymnwriter, from Transylvania to Philadelphia by way of England. Ecclesiastical History Room, Institute of Historical Research, Senate House. Russell Square tube

5.30. Duty and service in empire and colony 1850-1914. Wolfson Room, Institute of Historical Research, Senate House. Russell Square tube

5.30. The Madrid Movida and Urban Theory: Comic Book and Film. Lectures Room 276, Stewart House, Senate House, Russell Square tube

5.30. Sir Robert Cotton's library re-visited.. Detail via http://ies.sas.ac.uk, then events, then seminars. Dr Seng T Lee Centre for Manuscript and Book Studies, British Library, Kings Cross tube

5.30. How W. E. B. Du Bois won the United Daughters of the Confederacy Essay Contest. W. E. B. Du Bois was a black radical nationalist born American in 1868, died Ghanaian 1963. The Pollard Room, Institute of Historical Research, Senate House, Russell Square tube

5.30. Essex landowners and their experiences of royal government before 1258: the local origins of the reform movement. Low Countries Room, Institute of Historical Research, Senate House. Russell Square tube

5.30 tea. 6pm. Design and Construction of the Dublin Port Tunnel, Ireland. Institution of Civil Engineers, 1 Great George Street. Westminster tube

6pm. The constitutional thought of the Levellers and its value now. Main Lecture Theatre, Faculty of Laws, University College London, Bentham House, Endsleigh Gardens, Euston Square tube

6pm. Tribute to Mary Seacole, Crimean War nurse, and reception. Register [email protected]. Read Lecture Theatre, 5th Floor, Sherfield Building, Imperial College, South Kensington tube

6.30. Theory of 'the International' Today. Register visit http://www.lse.ac.uk/Depts/intrel/millenn/ or email [email protected]. Old Theatre, Old Building, London School of Economics. Holborn tube

6.30. Europe and Freedom. Old Theatre, Old Building, London School of Economics, Holborn tube

6.30. The mystery and magic of mathematics: an evening with David Acheson and the Indian Rope Trick. Register [email protected] [email protected] Lecture Theatre 311, Huxley Building, , Imperial College, South Kensington tube

7pm. Diabetes in the African-Caribbean Community in Britain. Register 020 7942 4040 or [email protected]/. Dana Centre, Science Museum, South Kensington tube

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM

ttt
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Ben,

I clicked on your name to find previous posts about London, and all my search found was 23 posts!

You have made many valuable posting contributions over the years, but tonight, I was unable to access them.

I'll be in London Nov. 15-20, 2006, and wanted to "pick you brain" (so to speak).

Maybe it's Fodor's search engine acting up tonight. I'll try tomorrow morning.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 06:26 AM

To Kane,

Mr Haines used to post under ben_haines_London, you should be able to find most of his posts.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 08:56 AM

JudyC,

Thank you so much!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

I have on disc a set of notes on Lonfon topics. You or others should please e mail me if you would like some or all. Subjects are these

Afternoon Tea
Apartments
Children in London
Animals for children to pet
Favourite pubs
Other than gastropubs
Including gastropubs
First visit
Hotels, Victoria, Strand, and some other areas
Labour history, London and Lancashire
Lewisham
Meals
Not pubs
Pubs
Pantomime
Modern architecture
Second and Third visits
Walks
Christmas
Music
Non-music

Ben Haines

Ben Haines
bn.haines@yahoo.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to thank Judith Chen, and to say that if people will tell me their London visit dates I shall gladly send them my up to date list of free public lectures

Ben Haines