Thinking of London at this terrible time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe the thread filled with sympathy and support, almost 300 posts on it, was pulled because of a few political remarks. Surely the editors could have taken the trouble to excise the offending remarks without removing the whole thread?

My thoughts and support to London. We are with you in spirit and will be there in the flesh in 60 days. We love you and your great city!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Oh. I thought it was pulled because of all the messages of sympathy and support having nothing to do with travel.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 12:43 PM

It got pulled while I was posting! I read it, posted, and then it was gone. I'm also very disappointed that the Fodors folks couldn't leave the heartwarming sympathies while removing the few bad apple posts from the bunch.

My prayers to all in London -- see you in 42 days!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 12:59 PM

We're praying here for the people of London.

Lee Ann
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:02 PM

My sympathy to everybody who's suffering in any way due to today's tragedy. Speedy recovery to all who got hurt.

Is every Fodorite accounted for? I hoped somebody would open a "London Fodorites, check in!" thread like it's usually done on USA forum.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:03 PM

I have been to London many times and I have always loved it. So, it is hard for me to imagine what it must be like to go through something as horrible as this. My thoughts are with the people in London.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:04 PM

I saw it early on...what I'd like to convey is just how sad I am and how my thoughts are with all affected by this senseless act.

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Good idea, Faina. We heard (on the deleted thread) from quite a few London fodorites, including Tallulah, mkingdom, david west, and kavey. Nothing yet from Ben Haines.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Robespierre, nice move!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:07 PM

I have seen Ben Haines report in today saying he's fine, and I think it was on the deleted thread. He's also done a recent trip report of Romania, Germany, and one other place.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:11 PM

And besides the fact that m_kingdom2 has posted today, we would know he/she was safe since he/she would never ride the tube.

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Haven't been able to contact my friends. Hope they are on a trip and not in town where they live.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM

I'm with you on this one, Marilyn. It was a great thread. Fodors could have closed it down without pulling it.

A few emotional comments during a time of great emotion is not unusual.

Again, my thoughts and sympathy to those in London.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Just heard a perfect example of the wonderful British spirit of understatement & stoicism in adversity.

Man speaking to Australian radio journalist: " We were wonderfully excited about the Olympics, but we've been a little cast down with this."

He then went on to say that every hotel, hostel is full & people in private homes are and putting people up, wherever they can. Hundreds of people walking home.

What's that quote ... compassion in another's adversity, courage in your own?
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Bokhara:

“Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.”
~Adam Lindsay Gordon, Ye Weary Wayfarer

It was a great thread, and Fodor's editors could have opted to edit it instead of coming down like a bag of hammers and deleting the whole thing. I can't tell you exactly what I think of the editors right now, as I was raised to be a lady.

BC
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Bokara, that is so touching. I remember when The Pan-Am went down in Lockabie, Scotland and the women of that wonderful place washed and ironed all the clothes before our dead ones were returned home. When I wrote a letter to the head of Lockabie, she said, not to thank us, we did what any caring human being would do.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:41 PM

I also want to send my thoughts and prayers to the Great British People.

The scum that did this should be hunted down and taught "Taliban" Justice by wiping them and all their supporters off the face of this earth!!!

Let's stop trying to impose our Democratic ways of Trial and Jury, innocent until proven guilty crap! These 'things' want to die....lets speed their way to Hell !!

As one that witnessed 9/11..this is bringing it all back again!....

Hang tough Britan!

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:45 PM

We've always had fond memories of our times in London--no place we've traveled have we met any kinder, more helpful, and humorous people.

Mrs. Fly and I are deeply, deeply saddened to hear of the terrible mass murders that were committed today. Our sympathy and thoughts are with the people of London and all of Britain.

It is one thing to be consumed by hatred or philosophical zeal; it is quite another to commit murder because of that hatred or zeal.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:50 PM

We were just in London too a few months ago and I agree have never met friendlier people in my life..I hope all of our new friends that we know over there are okay..It is a sad day...
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Thanks Bookchick, I should have remembered - there was a discussion on ALG's poetry a day or so ago. That stanza was a v.popular one in Autograph books when I was a "wee gel".

I was sorry to see the other thread go,too. Your comment prompted me to remember my Grandma's pity & apt comment, along the lines of: "(XYZ)is probably doing the best (he/she) can. That's the tragedy of it."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -