Search

free bicycle use in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
free bicycle use in Paris

Hi,
I am planning a trip to Paris in October and would love to use the free bicycles there. Has anyone used these? I read somewhere that I need either an American Express or Visa card in order to sign up for these. Is that accurate? Also, are the stands easy to find? Does anyone know where I can find a map that shows where the pick up/drop off points are?
Can't wait for this trip - I was to go in May but it got canceled because of the volcanic ash!
Just gives me more time to obsess and plan the zillion things I wantto do in a week and try to stay chill there at the same time.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 05:00 PM

I can't speak to the Visa. I do know that the Amex cards willw ork as I have used mine.

There are stands EVERYWHERE and the bookstores/news vendors sell maps of the Velo routes.

I don't think most US Visa's work becuase of the "chip issue"

Have fun!
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Here's an interactive map of Velib stations: http://www.velib.paris.fr/Trouver-une-station
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 05:19 PM

Only the first half hour is free. After that, each subsequent half hour costs progressively more. Still, the fees are modest. And you can return a bike before the first half hour is up and take out another one, and get another free half hour, etc.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 07:11 AM

I have a handy pocket-sized map book by L'Indispensable (who do a lot of Paris guides and maps), which cost about €5: you should be able to find something of the sort in any bookshop or newsagent.

As Lutetia says, the most cost-effective way to use it is to park it at another station within 30 minutes (that will get you quite a long way, BTW) and pick up another if necessary - think of it as a self-powered taxi. If all the locking points are occupied at the station you arrive at, sign in, and you can get another 15 minutes free to find another station. The information post at each station will tell you how many free points there are at neighbouring stations. The most important point: hang on to the card that tells you your current subscription number (or keep a secure note of it) as that's what you use to sign yourself in each time you take one out and put one back (and it's worth making sure you collect a confirmatory receipt when you take it back - I've never had a problem, but you never know - and they make a chic bookmark).

https://abo-paris.cyclocity.fr/conte...+-+English.pdf

A couple of observations, hints and tips from my first time:

http://autolycus-london.blogspot.com/2008/08/ouf.html
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. Will be sure to take the Amex card.
Shellio - I will print out the map of the spots to get the bikes.
Patrick, I couldn't access the first link you sent but appreciate the other one and the tips. Will print those out too since my brain is like a sieve these days and I want to be sure I remember.
This site is just the best of the best. Every time I am in a quest to get info - you guys have it. Thanks again.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 08:56 PM

Be sure to go to http://www.velib.paris.fr/Comment-ca-marche and download the brochure in English so you'll know the terms, conditions, charges.

Note that the bicycles are a bit different - heavier, a bit awkward, the brakes take some getting used to.

Bicycling in Paris is not for the faint of heart, and you cannot presume that everyone else will watch out for you! It's best to try out the Velib bikes on a Sunday, when there's much less traffic and some roads are closed to motor vehicles, and along the designated bicycle paths.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 08:56 PM

I have used these bikes on my many trips to paris in the last year or so. I have never needed one for longer than a half hour- so they have always been free! Its rare enough that you will be cycling somewhere that will take you more than a half hour to cycle to. There is too much to stop and see!!! However- your only difficulty may lie in the fact that the bike station may be full when you need to return it, or empty when you want to take one out!!!
They are a fantastic way to see Paris- as before I often felt like I spent too much of my trips underground in the metro.

If you enjoy cycling as a way of getting around-I recommend the fat tyre bike tours- especially the one that takes you to Versaille (which includes a market stop and shop for lunch) and the Paris by Night tour (which includes a ride on the bateaux mouch)- but be sure and wear warm clothes for this one given the time of year you are travelling!

Have fun
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. I live in Manhattan and gave my bike up years ago after I saw a couple of deaths by taxi on the streets. A bit nervous about riding bikes in a city ever since but how can I not do this in Paris? I don't plan to ride as a means of getting from point A to B but just for meandering and letting my jaw drop open at the gorgeousness of it all.
Rtw0910 I will take all the info with me and if I don't find a spot to park, will just keep going till I do. For once, I hope my list of things to see will not overtake my desire to be chill and enjoy the passage of time in this wonderful city.