Reload this Page >

Frankfurt transfers/different airlines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 03:57 PM
B

Traveling on US Air to Frankfurt and then transfering to Air France flight to Paris (same day, few hours). <BR>Will I have to get my bags and go through customs and then check in or can I go directly to the Air France flight? Can my bags get onto my Air France flight? What is the easiest way to handle this transfer? Thanks!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Jim

You can check your bags through to Paris and they will be transferred automatically. You will then clear customs in France. However, in Frankfurt there is an interminable tunnel that you have to walk through to make in-transit connections. After a night on the plane it seems that the tunnel just goes on and on but once you emerge there is a coffee bar to give you sustenance.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:59 AM
Andre

B<BR><BR>I'm not quite as optimistic as Jim regarding your bags. Here's why: US Air and Air France need to have signed a "bagage interlining" agreement, otherwise US Air will refuse to issue luggage tags to Paris when you check in in the US.<BR><BR>By all means check this out with US Air as it could make a significant impact on the minimum connection time you need.<BR><BR>Andre

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:13 AM
Andre

B,<BR><BR>Some more info on your transfer: you WILL have to clear immigration at Frankurt airport as your next flight is within the EU (this is independent of the customs inspection for your luggage).<BR><BR>Both US Air and Air France use terminal 2, so your transfer shouldn't be too grueling. I think the tunnel Jim refers to in his post runs between two concourses at the huge terminal 1 (Lufthansa & Star Alliance), so don't worry about that. Have never used terminal 2 myself though...<BR><BR>You can get maps and other information at the airport's web site:<BR>http://www.flughafen-frankfurt.de/en/index.html<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:24 AM
Ann

Usair and AirFrance have the baggage agreement. Hope this helps.

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:41 AM
Andre

Thanks Ann!<BR><BR>B: In that case, you will just have to clear immigration (passport control) and make your way to the Air France gate where you will need to get your boarding pass.<BR><BR>Andre

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:44 AM
Sjoerd

You will automatically pass an immigration (passport control) checkpoint on your way from your USAir arrival gate to your Air France departure gate at Frankfurt. No need to follow the "exit" signs, just follow the signs to the departure gate. <BR>Bags will be labeled all the way to Paris and pick them up and clear customs in Paris.

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:22 AM
Therese

Both flights being in Terminal 2 will simplify things. There's a train that goes between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 (the Sky Line), but it does add just a bit more complexity (and the signage to find the train is less than optimal). <BR><BR>Do note that on your return trip out of Frankfurt back to the U.S. (assuming you're going back the same route), you will go through extensive security checks. The gates through which all U.S. flights depart are located in the back of beyond. Unless you have a very long layover do not linger over coffee or duty-free.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:07 PM
B

Thanks so much for your help!!