Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome Fiumcino Airport: where to meet up with my inlaws

Dec 13th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

My inlaws (in their 80s) will be arriving at Rome Fiumcino airport 2 hours before our flight arrives, assuming that all goes on schedule. They want to wait for us and shuttle into the city together. Whether or not this makes sense, it's what will make them feel better about travelling.

They will be arriving from Paris on Alitalia; we'll be arriving from Frankfurt on Lufthansa.

Can anyone suggest a place to meet? It would presumably be a coffee shop or some kind of restaurant that would allow them to sit down for the wait.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dec 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM

This link should help. I'd suggest waiting at the airport since it's only two hours. The link below lists coffee shops and restaurants in the airport toward the middle of the page.
http://www.rome-airport.info/airport-facilities.html
Dec 14th, 2009, 05:36 AM

As above, have them go to a coffee shop or restaurant, then when your flight is due to arrive, perhaps have them wait at the same spot where they came out of Customs.

Or have them stay at a named cafe and just wait for you there.
Dec 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. This is a great board.

I read somewhere that there is only one cafe in Terminal C, past the baggage/customs/shuttle driver area, which might be a good spot -- of course, it would help if we knew the likely terminal! Does anyone know if there is a specific likely arrival terminal for (1) an Air France flight from Paris, or (2) a Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt? The choices are B and C, I gather.

(My in-laws will have cell phones but are freaked out about using them. This may all work itself out if technology pulls through!).
Dec 14th, 2009, 03:24 PM

The terminals at Fiumicino have been renamed. They are now T1, T2, T3 and T5.

Air France from Paris and Lufthansa from Frankfurt will both arrive at T3.

Your best bet for a meeting point is one of the Piazza di Spagna bar/cafes. There is a small one on the Arrivals level in T3 and a larger one on Piano 1, two floors up.

Another possibility is the large Autogrill, also on Piano 1 of T3.
Dec 14th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Correction: If it's an Alitalia/Air France code share, it might arrive at T1. (The airline ticket *should* indicate the terminal.)

If they arrive at T1, you have two choices: Either your in-laws wait at the bar/cafe (there's only one) on the Arrivals level at T1, you meet them there, and you all make your way back through T3 to the train station OR they make their way on their own from T1 to one of the cafes in T3, where you meet them and you go together to the train station.
Dec 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Here's the various terminal maps at FCO with shops. Click on terminal and the cafes and restaurants are in green.
http://www.romeairportshoppingallery...ndex.php?lng=2
Dec 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM

bookmarking
Dec 14th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Wow. That is a big help. Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful information. The Piazza di Spagna cafe on the Arrivals level at T3 sounds like a good bet. And thanks to kybourbon for the link.