Frankfurt to Prague and Munich

Mar 1st, 2006, 08:40 PM
vsd
Original Poster

Frankfurt to Prague and Munich

We will be flying into Frankfurt in April and are considering flying on Czech Airlines into Prague for a few days and then fly to Munich and rent a car there. Has anyone done this and recommend it? Anyone have experience with Czech airlines?
Mar 1st, 2006, 08:47 PM

Have you thought about using the trains? IMO trains are the best way to get around Europe, especially if you are focusing on the major cities.
Mar 1st, 2006, 08:52 PM

I'm just researching this topic and have changed from plane (after flying to Frankfurt from the US) to train for my in-Europe travel.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:40 AM
vsd
Original Poster

The reason we were thinking of flying was to save time since it's about 6 hr to Prague and then about the same to Munich I'm told. We would rent a car when we get to Munich and drive around the Mosel region.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:51 AM

Distances in that area are longer than some people expect, Germany is a large country. YOu have to figure out the train versus plane--once you add in the airport time and travel into the city they sometimes aren't much different and there is a greater risk of problems with planes and schedules, in my experience.

I don't think Frankfurt to Prague is a very different rail route, though, is it? That could argue for the flight. If your schedule means you must put Munich at the end, that could work out fine.

I don't think there are any cheap flights to/from Munich or Frankfurt and Prague on any of those budget airlines, so if Czech Airlines is a decent price, that's great. I've flown them a couple times within Europe (Paris to Prague or back, something like that), and I really liked them.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM

sorry, I had some bad typing -- I meant Frankfurt to Prague isn't a very direct rail route, but sounds like you've checked that out. I'm currently trying to figure out some rail routes in that area between Dresden, Prague and Munich, and there wasn't a good direct train route even between Munich and Dresden, as I recall (I think you have to go through Leipzig).
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:50 AM

There is a night train from Prague to Frankfurt.

Otherwise you have six departures a day at :34 past the odd hours from Holesovice station Prague. You take an EC to Dresden and change for an ICE to Frankfurt. This would be a good opportunity to take in Dresden for a few hours. It has really come back from it's time under the commies.
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:01 AM
vsd
Original Poster

well we are still working on the itinerary as we realize that we will be there over Easter and Germany shuts down from Good Friday to Easter Monday we are told, so we are thinking we should be in Prague during that time. Right now we are thinking of flying into Frankfurt, rent a car and go to Rothenburg and then drive to Munich for a couple of days, fly to Prague over Easter weekend and fly from Prague to Frankfurt and rent a car again and do the Mosel region. So far planes have been cheaper than the trains. Does anyone have any input re Easter time?
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Easter monday is a day off pretty much everywhee, shops closed. Friday depends on the region - catholic or protestant makes a difference.

Just make a phone call or two to places of specific interest, they'll tell you.

Wk
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:42 AM

This flight is only about 1 hour - even if the airline was lacking in some way (not that I'm saying it is) you won't have to suffer for very long.

I would fly, even without the cost savings.
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:57 AM

I generally take traisn everywhere in Europe but with a limited amount of time and the need to get to/from Prague from either Frankfurt or Munich, I would strongly onsider flying.

IMO you aren't going to miss any spectacular scenery. Just be very, VERY aware of intra-European checked baggage requirements/weight restrictions.
Mar 14th, 2006, 11:51 AM
vsd
Original Poster

well we finally have an itinerary. We are flying into Frankfurt and renting a car and going to the Rhine/Mosel regions for the first four days and then on to Munich and go to Munich for a few days and fly from Munich (via Czech Airlines where we got a very good price) to Prague on Easter Mon and stay there until Thurs afternoon and fly to Frankfurt and stay at a hotel near the airport and fly home on Fri. It was cheaper to fly than take trains and travel time is much less.