Frankfurt to Prague

May 17th, 2001, 05:51 PM
ray pearson

Frankfurt to Prague

My wife and I are arriving Frankfurt airport on a monday 7A.M.and are planning on driving to Prague the same day for a wedding the next day.We have never driven in Europe however everyone tells us that 150 km is normal speed in Germany.Since we will be driving a small compact we are concerned,and,secondly is a 500 km trip to far to do in one day in germany.Anyone can do it quite easily here in Canada but I am not so sure about Germany as traffic etc could have an effect.Appreciate your comments.Thanks.

May 17th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Ben Haines

How unpleasant. From the airport you can take a train within two hours that with a change in Dresden lands you in Prague that evening. Restaurant car, comdfort, good views of the uppoer Elbe.

Please write if I can give further detail.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

May 17th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Natalie

I agree with Ben. Take the train, and avoid the hassles of driving. There's no worry about getting lost, and after your long flight, the last thing you'll want to do is drive. You'll also be able to relax and take in the scenery on the way.
Have fun!

May 17th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Marc David Miller

You might also consider flying. It is about 60-90 minutes.

May 18th, 2001, 04:01 AM
stacey

A problem you MAY run into (and I'm not sure if this is still accurate) is that many car rental companies prohibit bringing the car into Prague. Make sure to check this before you rent. I would take Ben's advice and take the train.

May 18th, 2001, 06:34 AM
r.pearson

Thanks for all your kind advice.I know your all correct however I do intend to drive and what I would like is some comments on driving conditions compared to major highways in U.S. and Canada.I just have no idea what to expect.

May 18th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Art

Hi Ray, In Germany the roads are excellent. The few that I saw around Prague were also quite good (I only saw a couple of major highways.)
Hope this helps.
Enjoy Prague, a very beautiful city.
Regards
Art

May 18th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Eric

ray:

Please reconsider taking the train or flying:

You will be jet-lagged. You want to drive more than 500 km. You will have to cross into the Czech Republic with their FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL custom officers.

I hardly ever drive more than 300 km a day in Germany without feeling completely exhausted.

In my opinion you are calling for problems to arise or a disaster to happen.

Please reconsider (or post, when you will drive, so as we can avoid the Frankfurt-Prague stretch that day).

Eric

May 18th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Hans H

I think that most cars should be able to handle a speed of 150. The problem is the traffic. If you've got some bad luck, you will still get into the monday morning traffic around Frankfurt and in that case you can forget about 150 km/h.

At http://www.reiseplanung.de/form.htm you can get an estimation for the travel time and a description of the route (as a tip, Frankfurt has the poastal code 60 something and Bavaria should have 90 something. Since often more than one city of a given name exists, they want the postal code in the field PLZ. Write for start 60 in the field with PLZ and for the city, use Frankfurt Flughafen. Look up the name of the border town you want to go to, and type it in the destination field. If more than one town with this name exists in Germany, the server shows you a list. Klick on them, going for the towns with the PLZ in the 90000's first, and klick of the map which will show you the route and therefore whether you got the correct town.)

Even if you get into heavy traffic around Frankfurt, the drive is managable. Whether you can take a car into the Czech Republic, I don't know. Neither do I know how long the border crossing takes. I can't judge whether its a good idea for a jet-lagged driver to drive in Germany if he's inexperienced with the German traffic.

May 18th, 2001, 11:34 AM
kk

Dear Ray and Anne, here are the two problems with your plan...as others have told you:
1) driving while jet lagged in a foreign country
2) taking a car into the Czech Republic.

I agree with both of those points but feel strongly that the second one is the bigger of the two issues.
If you are absolutely insistent on driving a car, please consider this option. Rent your car and drive it to a city near the Czech border. Leave it in a safe parking lot there and then take the train into Prague. I do not recall the name of the town in Germany that is used to do that, but if you want me to, I can find out. My son and his friends used to do this often when he lived in Germany and traveled into Czecho. There are good reasons to be cautious. Otherwise, Prague is delightful and I am sure you will enjoy the trip.
By the way, do either of you speak German? I think it's fairly easy to drive in Germany, once you get the hang of it, but you will need some familiarity with the signage which is different from that used in Canada where you live, or the US for that matter.

May 28th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Hey! I'm training it from Frankfurt to Prague (yes I know it's a long trip). Can I travel/sleep on it during the night and save hotel? What are good local restaurants or things to see in Prague for a day or two? Thanks!!
May 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM

ray - while my experience is fairly limited, we essentially made this trip last summer so I'll give you some comments based on that. I assume you're using the autobahn as much as you can. We found the road conditions to be extremely good and very well maintained. Once you get out of Frankfurt, there will be alot of traffic, but it moves very well. Speed limits vary and there are electronic signs which indicate the applicable speed limit, which will change depending on traffic, construction, etc. As you probably know, the far left lane is for passing and those who drive very fast (especially when the speed limit is high or non-existent) - you probably won't be in that lane much. And the Germans are very serious about this rule and adhere to it much more strictly than in US or Canada. Once you get used to cars passing you like you're standing still, it's not difficult driving at all. As one poster mentioned, just learn some basic German if you haven't already, including international road signs.

I think 500 km is certainly doable, assuming no jet lag.

If paper work etc is in order, the border crossing into Czech usually shouldn't take more than 30 min, but that can vary a lot too. I've seen some reports that it can vary a lot depending on the mood of the guards on any given day. You'll have to pay a fee to use the Czech highways; you'll get a sticker to put on your window. The main Czech roads were pretty good. Obviously, your rental car company should give you details about documents, insurance, etc. needed to cross the border, but since CR isn't a full member of EU yet, you don't simply drive across the border.

Hope this helps.
May 29th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Well, duh! Didn't notice date of OP. Guess he's back from his trip already!
May 29th, 2007, 07:40 AM

I would never get off an overnight flight and then take such a long drive - it's only asking for you to fall asleep at the wheel. And we do road trips all the time - since to us part of the fun of europe is being able to drive fast cars fast. (We never drive more than an hour or so the day we land - due to lack of sleep, jet lag etc - it's just too stressful.)

But - never having driven there - and such a long drive - never mind issues of drop off charges and being unfamiliar with driving style, road signs etc - I think you're asking for trouble.

Agree to take the train. You can nap, look at the scenery, have a nice meal and arrive in Prague relaxed and in one piece. (Oh - and for a trip this long I would defiitly do first class for the extra room and comfort.)