France-mid March or Early October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some time ago I posted a message about traveling to France in March. Several posters responded with advice to avoid March because of cold, rainy weather and shops and sites being closed until Easter. We may have a chance to change our trip to early October. We want to visit Paris for 5 - 6 days and then go to Southern France for a similar amount of time. Any advice on whether to stick with March or try October? Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.
I posted a similar message under the Europe heading having missed the ability to tag for France.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 11:46 AM

I live in southwest France. Weather in March is usually a bummer - wet, windy, nasty. Early October is usually gorgeous. So the choice is obvious.

Just so you know, things will be closed during both periods. Many mom and pop outfits close their places from mid-October to the Tuesday after Easter, so no matter which period you choose, things will be closed. But not all things. You will always be able to find a hotel, restaurant, café, etc. You just may not be able to shop in the tourist schlock places.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. I'm inclined to switch to October, but it always helps to have more input. (p.s. we avoid tourist schlock shops regardless of the time of year.)
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 12:59 PM

No Brainer - October. However, I would visit Southern France first - then end the trip in Paris. We spent 2 weeks in Paris in October 2015 and 2008 - and that's a great time to be there. We'll be in Paris again for 3 weeks in late Sept/early Oct in 2018. We were in Provence for 2 weeks in early Oct 1999 and the weather was fantastic.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 01:29 PM

I don't know where you are from, but March isn't that great a month weather-wise in lots of places, including a lot of Europe and a lot of the US.

However, it is complete nonsense to say that lots of sites and shops are closed in Paris until Easter, if that's what you mean, or most of France, for that matter. In holiday or resort areas, it is possible I suppose, outside big cities, although I can't offhand think of anything in Provence that is closed until Easter. Shops and sites are certainly not closed in March in Marseille or Nice, for example, or actually any city I know of (like Avignon or Aix or St Remy). Even the Abbaye de Senanque near Gordes is open in the winter. I don't really see why one would plan a vacation to Provence in March, though, as you would miss a lot of what (I presume) is drawing you to the region. So I would never go in March, but things are not closed.

I think some hotels that appeal to tourists in the countryside may close for a winter break, but there are many that are not and in fact, rates are cheaper than in summer. Carnival is a big holiday in Nice, also.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 02:35 PM

I suggest October as well. We were in Provence in October 2015 visiting our daughter and new grandson who live there. The weather was perfect. Not hot, not cold; warm and sunny. We spent a day in the Camarque outdoors walking around, saw all the flamingos, etc.

We also returned to southern France and Nice in late Feb/early March. We spent 2 days in Nice and nothing was closed. Where my daughter lives, closer to Marseilles, the weather was nice but sometimes windy. Sometimes I wore a spring coat; sometimes my winter coat.

I've only been to Paris in August. But cold, rainy weather in March would not appeal to me. So I vote for October!
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 04:52 PM

About all 'season' shops close from mid October or latest after Toussaint to Easter.
That is for touristy areas. Like beaches. You'll find these guys doing a second season in the alps.
Nothing is seasonal in big cities of course.
March is the month of the 'giboulees' in the north (Paris) at least.
Giboulees is a mix of rain and melting snow and some sun. Hardly. And cold.
I would start in Paris in October and finish in the south. Usually better weather.
This year I swam in the sea in early November on the riviera. Gorgeous weather.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 10:09 PM

October.