Paris, outdoor stalls middle of March?

Mar 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Paris, outdoor stalls middle of March?

I will be in Paris between March 19th and March 29th. Do you think the crepes on the street vendors will be open yet or is still too early in the year.
What about all the other street Markets. Are they open all year.
Mar 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Markets caters to locals and locals eat even in winter, so, yes streets makets are open all year round (the only restrictions are in august when parisians are on holidays).
Mar 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Norween,
I thought that would be the answer about the markets. Now what about the street vendors selling crepes? Does anyone know?
Mar 9th, 2007, 08:05 PM

The crepes are made "indoors" and served to folks on the street through a window. I don't think the weather troubles this business much. Already, I've seen people dining on open restaurant terraces, with a little help from the up-high heaters.
Mar 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM

In terms of the season, all of the moving trucks were delivering all of the outdoor terrasses to the cafés and restaurants on the Champs Elysées yesterday, so the tourist season as begun as of today. (The terrasses are removed on October 31st every year.)
Mar 10th, 2007, 06:22 AM

huh- I didn't know that! Just figured they were sitting empty in the off-season...
Mar 10th, 2007, 06:56 AM

That certainly doesn't apply to all the cafés in Paris. I've been sitting outside on the terrasse every nice day since September -- and some not so nice, because, as you know, many of them are heated.
Mar 10th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Crepe stands and terraces are open all year long.

Some restaurants and cafés remove their terraces during the coldest parts of the year (which are increasingly brief), because they have to pay the city for the space and this is not cost-effective if there aren't enough customers. The weather right now in Paris is perfect, however, and there are many open terraces.