Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any 'hidden gem' accommodation in Venice?

Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are planning a trip to Venice in September to celebrate my mother-in-law's 80th birthday. Can anyone please recommend a hotel or apartment (our party will be 5 adults) which is perhaps off the beaten track but a good boutique hotel? Obviously views of the canal will attract premium prices, or is this not necessarily the case if you stay a little further out? All I hear is how expensive hotels with good views are. Any authentic restaurant recommendations would also be much appreciated. Thank you!
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 04:37 AM

I am not sure why you are looking for a hidden gem -- not criticizing, just unclear what you want -- but am posting to say that I think your priority should be finding a hotel with an elevator and air conditioning in September.

Being near a vaporetto stop would also be an asset I think if your mother in law would like to go sightseeing yet not need to walk everywhere. You don't need to be right on the Grand Canal to have a flat walk to a vaporetto stop, but you can't get too far away. Also, do note that many people dislike staying on the Grand Canal because it is noisy in September. There are "views" everywhere in Venice. It is non-stop picturesque, so I suggest you focus on other things.

If you post your budget (in euros) and how many rooms you are actually looking for then you might get more precise help.
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 04:39 AM

For wherever you stay check carefully to make sure they have both an elevator and also good AC - both of which I assume your MIL will want.

It would help to know your specific budget per night in euros and also how many you are and how many rooms you will need (many lodgings in Venice are quite small).
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 04:43 AM

Another thought: Have you considered an apartment? Many older people do not really enjoy eating in restaurants in Venice twice a day, so having a kitchen can be nice. Also an apartment is great for being together and being able to make a cup of tea or coffee on one's own, and resting up from sightseeing. Many apartments have gardens or terraces, so that is nice, and a special way to experience Venice.

If you want to plan a special occasion restaurant meal, plus get some recommendations for good Venetian food at modest prices, do some research on the Chowhound Italy board, or ask questions there. But first it would help if you had decided where you are staying, because you might not want your restuarant meals to be a long walk from your lodgings. Venice has many, many, many small bridges that need to be crossed to get anywhere, and after a while, that multiple stair climbing can tire people out, and the idea of taking long walks to get dinner turns unappealing.
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 05:41 AM

I agree with previous post, I would look for an apartment with elevator and AC.
The first week of Semptember in Venice is very busy (there is the movie festival and the "Regata Storica"), so it's better to book in advance.
Thinking of the apartments I know in Venice (most because managed or owned by friends), maybe this could be a good starting point for you:
http://www.viewsonvenice.com/ca-del-monastero-4
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 11:06 AM

Even if you don't rent an apartment, it's a good idea not to eat out for every meal. When I took my elderly mother to Belgium, we mostly ate lunch at a restaurant, but ate dinner in our hotel room, either take-out or simple meals (fruit, cheese, cold cuts, rolls) you could pick up at a grocery.
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 12:56 PM

How is your MIL's mobility? And what is your budget? I've stayed numerous times in the Hotel Principe in Cannaregio. It has canal front rooms, an elevator, great air conditioning and is within walking distance of the station and the Ferrovia vaporetto landing with no bridges in between. It also has its own water taxi landing if you need it. Not cheap but beautiful location.

Another one I've stayed in periodically is the Hotel Do Pozzi which is cheaper but it still has an elevator and air-con. It is about a minute from San Marco but down a little side street with a pretty, leafy courtyard for the use of guests.

http://www.hotelprincipevenice.it/ve...ice-italy.html

http://www.hoteldopozzi.it/
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 03:55 PM

I have stayed in this apartment before:

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-re...612399#summary

And there is another one right across the hall with 2 bedrooms. The view of the lagoon is really worth the price of admission. I don't remember a lift but it's only one flight up.
The owner is fabulous.
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hotel Ca' Dogaressa near Tre Archi? You can have your breakfast outside by the canal if the weather is nice.

Thin
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 07:41 PM

"Venice in September…mother-in-law's 80th birthday…recommend a hotel or apartment…off the beaten track but a good boutique hotel…All I hear is how expensive hotels with good views are."

There are too many issues here that raise many questions and concerns.

Venice has plenty of lovely view rooms (my preference), but most are outrageously expensive. The best rooms with a view in the moderate price range (under 300€-a-night) require a specific room number and a request made almost a year in advance. The best moderate-priced view rooms are always the most popular. There just aren't that many. September is one of the busiest tourist months in Venice.

Why on earth would you want to force an 80-year-old woman to walk "off the beaten track?" Strategizing a convenient location with no stairs for easy transport (especially with luggage) should be your number one priority.

The first two weeks of September in Venice for the past couple of years have been experiencing record high temperatures. It is not uncommon for the day's high to be at or near 100ºF.

If you really want to make this trip happen, you'll need to hustle and do better research. Good luck.
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 08:50 PM

The majority of bridges in Venice are not that savage, but you'd not want to be hauling luggage over the Academia, Rialto, Scalzi or Calatrave bridges too often. I've done it and is not pretty.

If you are flying into Marco Polo, a water taxi would probably get you close to your hotel or apartment, and is good value for a party of five.

In September, the sheer bulk of the crowds can make walking around tough, standing line while a tour group of twenty or thirty figures out where to go.

My suggestion would be to find something in Dorsoduro. Most parts of Dorsoduro are not far from a vaporetto stop, either on the Grand Canal or the Zattere, fewer bridges I think than in say Cannaregio.

Take a map of Venice, draw a line on it from Piazle Roma to the San Basilio cap stop. Don't stay anywhere west of that line. By the same logic, don't stay anywhere east of the Arsenale. That way you can avoid a fair bit of walking.

We brought my mother in law, a lass of about 83 summers at the time, to Venice for a week several years ago. She loved it.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi all. Thank you for your advice; Proximity to Vaporetto stops and air-con duly noted. I'll do some further research armed with your comments (I have looked at apartments). Best regards.

Incidentally, to NYCFoodSnob: we are not going to "force an 80 year old woman off the beaten track". My MIL is a fit 80 year old and she would love meandering the streets, provided she's not being frog-marched! I haven't visited Venice before so was simply wondering if anyone could recommend a boutique hotel for me to look at and they're often "off the beaten track": big hotel chains aren't our thing and her enjoyment of this trip is paramount. Will aim for end September in view of your comments re September temperatures; have been advised against October because of potential high tides.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 06:22 AM

"we are not going to 'force an 80 year old woman off the beaten track'. My MIL is a fit 80 year old and she would love meandering the streets"

"I haven't visited Venice before"

Being fit can only help when planning a visit to Italy, but the last thing you want to do is meander the streets of Venice with your luggage in tow, no matter what your age. I have encountered and helped far too many lost, exhausted, frustrated people who simply did not plan appropriately, and everyone I have helped had a terrible map, often provided by their hotel in PDF form.

Many first-time visitors to Venice don't know the maze-like lay of the land. They certainly can't imagine how tiny-narrow certain streets can be, streets that often have no name on many maps and no signage in-person. They'll select a hotel that claims to be "near San Marco," only to discover it's nowhere near a vaporetto dock, nowhere near San Marco, and extremely difficult to find. I'll never forget the newlywed couple who stopped me to ask for help. They had been walking around in circles for over an hour with all their bags, and they were ready to kill one another. No way to start a honeymoon.

I'm happy to read you will do your best to protect your 80-year-old MIL from Venice's challenges. If you succeed, she will definitely appreciate your effort.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 09:10 AM

We loved staying at the Locanda Orseolo:
http://www.locandaorseolo.com/rooms.htm.It is vey close to St. Mark's Square but tucked away in a quiet spot. The staff there were very friendly and helpful and we hope to return someday.

The hotel has air conditioning but does not have stairs. I don't know if there are any rooms on the ground level, but you could inquire. The staff was very helpful with carrying luggage up the stairs and refused a tip.

I believe they have a sister hotel nearby. You could always write and explain the situation and I'm sure they would be happy to help.

Enjoy Venice!
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 09:31 AM

A canal view can also come with a pesky byproduct: gondolas with singers and accordionists with thunderous clappings until late night.
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 10:00 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Galleria. Small adorable place that had about 10 rooms or so. It is right on the Grand Canal. There is a small flight of stairs, but nothing crazy. The place brings you breakfast in your room in the AM. Honestly, while we had noise from the canal (since the place is right next to a Vaporetto stop....though, with the windows shut, it wasnt that bad), setting up two chairs in front of that window and watching the boats go by was one of the highlights of our trip. Every evening we would share some wine and convos in our room in front of that window. I believe we paidi 130 euro a night but with the breakfast included and right on the Grand Canal, I thought it was a steal!
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 10:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.lacalcina.com/
I stayed here twice. It's beautiful. Overlooks the Guidecca.
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 10:58 AM

Check out the Ca dei Connti.
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 11:05 AM

we also stayed at the Hotel Galleria...amazing location. Booked a year ahead -
it's very popular.
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 05:16 PM

For Venice hotels you need to look at several things if it's to work for your group:

American style AC (not european "air cooling')
Elevators (many smaller hotels don't have them)
Location near a vaporetto stop and preferably with a private dock (so you can easily take a water taxi to and fro the airport)

And be sure to have a good street map - for when you get lost (and you will - everyone does) but you want to make sure it's not too long a walk back to your hotel or a nice cafe to sit and rest

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -