France Cities for a 14 Day Winter Trip?

Old May 19th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France Cities for a 14 Day Winter Trip?

We are heading into London for 3 days., then Paris for 3 days.
Because we are going in November, we are not going to do rural or outdoor activities.
We have not been to Lyon or Dijon yet, we have been to Nice. We like museums and historical sites.
We would like to take trains.
We would like to do cities because there may be inclement weather.

What cities would you recommend for this trip? Lyon looks fascinating.

I heard that there is a TGV direct to London from Lyon in the works.
Old May 19th, 2013, 04:05 PM

Those are 2 good ones, of course. YOu can add Strasbourg as a good possibility, also, for your interests, and Reims.

All of these have several good museums and, of course, historical sites. I suppose I don't think of Dijon as having the same kind of historical sites as Reims or Lyon, but depends what you mean by that. They all have a long history, of course. But if you are American and a history buff, one thing I really found fascinating was the Capitulation Museum in Reims, which was Eisenhower's headquarters during WWII and where the Germans surrendered. They have some fascinating exhibits, film clips, etc. http://www.ville-reims.fr/index.php?id=899

Both Lyon and Dijon have good cuisine, Lyon has a history as a center of the silk and textile industry, among other things.

YOu can't go wrong, really. I presume any place would require a change in Paris. There are some direct trains to Avignon or maybe Aix, but those are right now and only once a week, I think. I presume it would be the same train that would stop in Lyon. So I wouldn't count on that in November. I mean they are only May-June right now, being tested. At lest that's what I read. It wasn't the TGV, but the Eurostar, the TGV isn't in England.
Old May 19th, 2013, 06:47 PM

Hi Christina, that was my DHs post!
I do thank you for the info.
Rheims sounds good.
How about Tours.

We had a death in the family and I have been lying low for a while.
Now I am back to traveling.

Any and all info is Vastly appreciated.
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:16 AM

I mainly think of TOurs as a place to base if you are into chateau touring, etc. And while you can do that in November, I just wouldn't plan some countryside thing in November. I don't think of Tours itself as being that fascinating alone for several days, one is fine. I like your other ideas better.
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:21 AM

My two favorites would be: Angers and Nancy. I first saw Nancy in early November and the view of the Place Stanislas just after dark is truly breathtaking.

Angers is a lovely city, wonderful for walking around, picturesque medieval quarter, fascinating castle, and some very good restaurants.

Both cities are only about 90 minutes from Paris via direct TGV (no changes).
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Cchottel, thanks for the link, it looks lovely.
Is it centrally located? We are taking the train and will not have a car.

Christina, that is what I was thinking.

Weissertee, thanks for the recs, I will look into both of them.
Old May 20th, 2013, 12:06 PM

I do like Nancy and Angers, also, both are nice, but they aren't as big as Lyon, for example, and you'd have to do a little research as to your interests.
Old May 20th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Christina, I definitely want to do Lyon, maybe for 3 or 4 days, and then Dijon for 3?

Here is the trip:
3 days London chunnel to 3 days Paris, 7 days split between 2 French cities, the return to London for 1 night(somewhere on the Piccadilly line) before flight from Heathrow.
Old May 20th, 2013, 12:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We did Lyon for a week and Dijon for 3 days this past February. Esp enjoyed Lyon. Stayed at Coco's in Dijon and she is great. Lyon seems much more of a city than Dijon, but both are quite nice. We took a train from CDG to Lyon and then Lyon to Dijon and finally to Paris. All quick and very easy.
Our TR's are here
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-from-lyon.cfm
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...from-dijon.cfm
Old May 20th, 2013, 04:41 PM

The apartment is indeed centrally located. It is across from the Ducal Palace. Read about the sites in Dijon and the day trips on her website. I did not have a car either time. Coco picks her guests up at the train station. There is free-shuttle transportation around the sights, too. Coco's website really lays out all that you can do in Dijon and many day trips. She also helps you book classes, tours, etc. It really is a wonderful city. Lyon can be a day trip from Dijon. Beaune is only about 20 minutes away train and seems to be a favorite. Take a good look and even email Coco if you want more info. She is very friendly and her English is exceptional.
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:13 PM

Thanks Cchottel, I just emailed her about reservation, for 3 days in November.
Yestravel, I loved your reports. I think we will do 3 days Dijon, then 4 days Lyon.
Thank, you people are so very helpful.
I missed Fodors.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:08 AM

BTW, I just made reservations at the Phenix Hotel.
Looks great!
Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:31 AM

ANd only 3 in Paris? Have you been before/often?
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:39 AM

I assume you already have plane tickets. If not, consider flying into London, out of Paris, or possibly Lyon. It's called open jaw or multi-city travel and should cost about the same as round-trip. If you already have your tickets, the cost of changing them might be worth it when you consider the expense and time needed to get back to London. You don't have much time for a four-city trip.