Four Days In Venice

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four Days In Venice

Arriving Venice May 23, staying at Hotel ai Mori d'Oriente in Cannaregio. This is first time in Venice and appreciate comments on our planned itinerary. Day one Vaporetto on Grand Canal to San Zaccaria and on to Piazza San Marco to visit the Basillica, Campanile, Paalzzo Ducale and the "Secret Itinerary" Tour,
Museo Correr. Maybe Santa Maria Della Saute and Punta Della Dagana for the view.

Day 2.Ponte DiRialto and market, Basillica Di Santa Maria Gloriosa Dei Frari, Scola Grande Di San Rocco, Ca' Rezzonica, Galleria Dell'Accademia.

Day 3. Cruise the Lagoon Islands of Murano, Burano, Torcello and San Michele.

Day 4. Getto and Museo Ebraico, Ca'D'oro, Santa Maria Del Miracoli, Santi Giovanni E Polo and Scuola Si San Giorgio Degli Schiavoni. Our plane to London leaves Venice at 10:30 PM.

Advice is appreciated.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 08:21 PM

Wow, your itinerary is quite aggressive...yet, everything listed is worth a visit.

Much depends on how much time you choose to spend at each location. We found ourselves mesmerized by some of these sites...Chiesa SS Giovannia e Polo is a prime example. We literally stumbled upon this church by accident and spent hours there, so something else on our list had to be eliminated that day.

One of the joys of Venice is wandering around, sometimes getting lost, and just exploring. You probably will get lost because everyone does...but it's a good thing because there is something terrific wherever you happen to find yourselves.

And you definitely do want to stop for lunch and dinner and not have to rush through your meals.

Keep your itinerary...but be flexible...because you want to enjoy where you are at the moment without the pressure of where you have to get to.

The only change I would suggest to your itinerary would be to switch your visit to San Marco to an early morning of another day instead of the day you arrive. The Basilica is best seen without the throngs, and it is far more peaceful at 9:00 A.M. than when the tour groups are being led through the church. Also the Pala d'Oro is maganificent and well worth the extra charge.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 08:21 PM

Hi
where are you arriving from? Is it a short hop from somewhere in Europe, or are you arriving from an overseas flight?
If so, Day one would be very ambitious on a normal day, just a tired blur imo if I hadn't had much sleep. I also don't think you've allowed any time for the very best part of Venice, better than any of its art and churches, and that is the strolling, the cafe-sitting, the wandering.
Let's assume you've got boundless energy.
Your time in Piazza San Marco should include having an overpriced drink or coffee at either Florian's or Quadri, while the band plays corny music. You will have to pay an additional music charge if you sit outside, which you should. You will think the prices quite high. If you are like most people, you will not forget the hour you spend there.

Break up your Day 1 San Marco activities by taking the short vaporetto ride to San Giorgio Maggiore. From its campanile, fantastic view of the lagoon waterfront (Doge's Palace, etc) and imo a much better view than you get from the Campanile in San Marco. Do admire the architecture of the Campanile loggia though. There is also likely to be a line to visit the Basilica, so allow for changing some of this around. Doge's Palace alone, esp with the Secret Itinerary, is good for 2-3 hours.

You might as well add on the Rialto to either your day 1 (dropping the Salute for that day) or your Day 4 since it's close to where you are going to be anyway.

I absolutely would not want to do your day 2, with San Rocco, Ca'Rezzonica, and the Accademia all in one day.That's just too much in the way of museums in one day, for me, and I am an avid museum-goer.

On Day 2, I'd suggest the Frari and San Rocco, if they are both important to you, lunch in Campo Santa Margherita, and then a stroll to the Salute church.
Stop somewhere for gelato or a drink. On the way back, if you want to stop at the Accademia or Ca'Rezzonico, you can, but pick only one.

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 08:25 PM

I certainly can't think of anything of any importance that you have missed.

Your last day will involve a fair amount of walking, but not more than anyone in reasonably good shape can manage.

Enjoy Venice!
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 08:32 PM

It's a tad busy for me but let me second Elaine's suggestion of the horrendously pricey drink at Piazza San Marco. Get there a half hour before sunset, enjoy the handsome waiters' flirtatious glances, the dueling orchestras, and you'll remember it forever.

You don't have the Peggy Guggenheim Museum on your list, which is a "must" for me.

And four islands in one day is busy for me, so let me throw in my order for visiting: Burano, Torcello, and Murano. I haven't been to San Michele but look forward to that on my next trip.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 09:10 PM

i like day one and two...after that i would bag the sites and just walk around the central areas of venice....this is the most fun...i do not find the outer island worth the effort or expense....central is fabulous....

you are staying in a good area for getting around
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 09:37 PM

It's a very ambitious itinerary. I agree that trying to see the Academia and Scuola Grandi di San Rocco on the same day is probably too much. (But you should definitely see both while you're there.)
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:19 AM

I agree with seeing Doges Palace and Secret Itinerary tour early in the morning. We were there the exact same time last year (May 22-25) and the square/palace/basilica were swamped by 11 AM. If there is a cruise ship in town, that would be the day I would hit the islands. The town became literally packed with cruise ship tourists- you could barely get through some of the alleys. I also agree with Lorac1127 about leaving time to wander..it was our favorite thing about Venice. You find so many neat little shops and squares out of the tourist fray. Since our hotel was near Piazza San Marco, we made our way back there every night to hear the orchestras. It really is magical at night.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:40 AM

If you have the energy for it, your four days looks good to me. Oh, and Lorac said it best right here...

"One of the joys of Venice is wandering around, sometimes getting lost, and just exploring. You probably will get lost because everyone does...but it's a good thing because there is something terrific wherever you happen to find yourselves."

Amen.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:43 AM
ira

Hi sh,

I suggest making a list of the 4 most important sites. That way, when you find that you cannot (and don't want to) see everything on your daily list you can start the next day with a "must see".

We have been to Venice many times and still haven't seen everything on our list.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:49 AM

I second the Guggenheim museum. The contemporary art is fabululous and the view from the waterside entrace is wonderful.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:54 AM

I returned last night from 4 days in Venice and I have to second (and third, and fourth...) the folks who are urging you to put some wandering time into the schedule.

First of all, you will get lost. If you aren't worried about an itinerary, getting lost could be the best part of your time in Venice. If you are worried about the schedule, well...

Secondly, we found some of our favorite restaurants off the beaten path and would have missed them if we'd stuck to the "attractions."

Third, if we'd planned our days so tightly, I wouldn't have the red rose that is sitting in a vase on my mantle right now - or the great memory that comes with it.

No, we didn't pay a wandering rose vendor -- we were walking home from one of our restaurant finds late Friday night and came upon a group of young Italians outside a bar who were just having a good time. A woman tried to hand me a long-stemmed rose from the two dozen or so she was holding. Tired of the rose solicitors, I just said "no, grazie" and walked on, followed down the tiny street by some boisterous shouts. Very unusual, I thought -- first unpleasant Italians I've run into yet.

But a few steps down the street one of the men in the group rushed up to me, stopped me and, with a graceful bow, presented me with one of the roses and some wonderful compliments and a wink to my husband. Turns out they were just having some fun by giving roses away.

Which we would have missed had we not been on the street far off the normal attraction path.

Venice is magic. I'm envious of your trip -- have fun!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Worktowander...I just love your rose story. How perfect!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Wow Sheinberg!

Someone who is an even more ambitious sightseer than I am!

On my last trip I was in Venice 4 days, early starts and long days! I managed to get in:

Basillica
Campanille
Ca d'Oro
Accademia
Il Frari
Scuola de San Rocco
Murano & Burano
Rialto
Giovanni e Polo (unplanned discovery and fantastic)
vaporetto down the Grand Canal, day and night
Santa Maria della Salute
Guggenheim
wander, wander wander....

(Had already seen the Doges Palace on a previous trip).

I could have skipped the Guggenheim (loved the palazzo and the gardens, didn't care for the art) and Murano.

I don't think you can get to all 4 islands in one day. I would eliminate Murano.

Also, be sure you know the hours for Il Frari. Easy to miss if your timing is off.

Buon viaggio!

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Dayle includes a helpful caveat, most churches (not the Basilica) are closed for all or part of the mid day period from approx noon to approx 3:30.
The Salute starts ejecting visitors about 12:15 as I recall.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Oh yes...always check on the opening and closing times and days closed for all museums, churches and restaurants that you intend to visit.

Usually if you plan your lunch between 12:30 and 2:00, you get to eat a relaxing lunch and don't miss too much!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep them coming. Elaine, we actually arrive Venice from Rome on Monday evening Our day one starts Tues AM. We have four full days in Venice as our plane to London leaves Venice at 10:30 PM Fri night. I am currently making changes to our itinerary based on all your suggestions. I will post the revised schedule in a few days for y'all to review further.

Thanks again for the help.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM

here's a link to the OP's revised plan

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34601851