3 days in Venice

Search

3 days in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Venice

My partner and I are traveling to Venice for the first time and have threed ays (four nights there). We are meeting good friends -- who will be in Venice for a ten days with their two childern (age 4yr and 18mos) -- We want to spend as much time with them and the kids as possible, but also want to see all the &quot;good stuff&quot;. Definitely on our list is the Accademia and Guggenheim and a lot of just wandering around -- but would love to hear other's suggestions as well.<BR>We are renting an apartment with our friends in San Polo, near San Silvestri, so we should be fairly central<BR>Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:28 AM

ALso San Marco's Basilica and Doge's palace. Both are not to be missed.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Depends upon your interests &amp; tastes. The Ca'Rezzonica is Venice's 18th century &quot;museum&quot;- a palazzo with furniture &amp; art of that period. Different opinions here on the value of trips to Murano (glass) Burano (lace) &amp; Torcello. Read some threads here on the subject &amp; decide.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Hi<BR>elsewhere here on fodors.com is a lot of basic info for Venice. That and a good guidebook and a map (both of which you will want), should help you narrow down what to see.<BR><BR>I also have a long file on Venice; if you'd like to see it, email me at<BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>Suggestions for three days (my likes, not necessarily yours) Also check opening and closing days. Start and end points depend on you.<BR><BR>one very full day--pick and choose what you like in the<BR>Dorsoduro District and beyond<BR>depending on time of day and your starting point, include<BR>Frari Church<BR>School of San Rocco (if you like Tintoretto)<BR>Accademia Museum<BR>Campo Santa Margherita (for lunch, gelato, or snack)<BR>Guggenheim Collection<BR>Salute Church (closes at mid-day for a long lunch period)<BR>That's a lot for one day, so eliminate at least one thing, or include it on another day<BR><BR>Another Day<BR>Inside of San Marco Basilica (get in line early)<BR>Doge's Palace<BR>Correr Museum, if it interests you (It's small)<BR>take boat to San Giorgio Maggiore if it's a clear day--great view of Venice<BR>Walk through at least some of the Castello area--many gorgeous churches<BR>and shops<BR><BR>another day<BR>walk to Rialto bridge and through Cannareggio area for shops, start or end up at the Ghetto--tours of some of the buildings/synagogues are offered<BR>Before or after the Ghetto, walk to train station, stopping at whatever churches may interest you. <BR>Get on the vaporetto with the most local stops (can't recall the number at the moment) and take a leisurely ride down the Grand Canal, getting off at the San Marco stop<BR>In the Piazza, have an expensive gelato or a coffee at Florian's on the Piazza.<BR>It will be overpriced, but if you sit outside you will always remember the time you spent there.<BR><BR>On a three day visit I wouldn't say to go to one of the outer lagoon islands.<BR>Do it next time.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 11:13 AM

Elaine, You are terrific--I totally concur.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone -- Elaine that's great info.