Search

Flying to Dublin on American Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying to Dublin on American Airlines

Hello,
I'm flying Los Angeles -> Dublin on American Airlines couch non-stop, and I was wondering how bad is that flight. How is the leg room? food onboard? Should I seriously considered sleeping pills and bringing my own snacks?
Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM

AA doesn't fly this route non-stop. Only Aer Lingus does.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM

I don't know anything about the availability of non-stop flights from LA to Dublin. But I flew AA non-stop from O'Hare to Dublin last March. And from Boston to Shannon the March before.

I found the leg room on AA to be seriously lacking. And I'm only 5'2"!

The food is certainly nothing to write home about. But neither was it inedible. On the flights I took we were given dinner and a breakfast of sorts.

I saw on another thread that you're going to be getting married in Ireland. Best wishes! My daughter is going to be married in County Galway in the spring or early summer of '09. Have to admit to being nosey about your situation. If you don't mind my asking, is your future husband from Ireland?
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:49 AM

In coach on any airline there is no leg room unless you are 5' or under. Be prepared to be squashed.

The food will be awful. Bring you own dinner on with you (most airports have places you can get a decent salad or sandwich - which will be much better than any micronuked chicken/gristle the airline provides).
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM

If you have $300 and 25k AA Frequent Flyer miles you can request an upgrade to Biz Class one way. We've done that on several of our DFW to FRA flights.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM

I think rkkwan is correct. Air Lingus flies non stop LAX to DUB.
On American you need to change in Chicago, but a good chance to exercise and walk around in the middle of the long flight. From Chicago to Dublin some flights are A A planes;, and some are in conjunction with Air Lingus). We took American from Chicago to Dublin and it was fine. There was a few hours layover, but it passed quickly.
Just make sure you are not on a 757....they are very tight...but I think are not used much anymore.
You'll be fine~~~bring snacks if you want for "extra", but the food is OK. I have my theory of people who fuss about food, but don't want to risk controversy.
The legroom on American has , in the past, been a couple of inches longer than other airlines.(but I think they have "closed in" on that recently ..probably for economic reasons)?
There have been many postings on Fodors about how to pass the time in the air! Just think, you'll have beautiful Ireland at the other end!!!