Reload this Page >

Anyone ever fly Aer Lingus?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 09:56 AM
chris

We have a chance to fly Aer Lingus in Feb and I'm wondering what the experience will be like. I'd love to hear from people who've had the opportunity to fly w/ Aer Lingus. Thanks for the insight.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:01 AM
doc

As long as you like green,no problem. I appreciate the free guinness and irish whiskey. Food was the same as any other airline,and there are movies if you want to watch it. FA's were nice. By far the cheapest way to get across the pond.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Kevin

I've flown Aer Lingus a few times. It is nothing special. However, since it is filled with Irish you get into some good conversations. Even though the service and food are not stellar, I think it is good to fly the national carriers to their home countries. That way you start to get the flavor of the place as soon as you get on the plane.<BR>Enjoy Ireland. SLAN!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Karl

Just recently returned from Dublin into Chicago on Aer Lingus and thought it was just fine. We flew over on American (into London) and since AA does not fly out of Dublin and AL is their partner we were booked on AL. We found the plane to be comfortable, with adequate leg room (we were in coach). We were also assigned seats on the outside so we had only two seats. The food was, I think, better than American. AL is quite free with their drinks. In fact, after the dinner service and post-dinner coffee service it was announced that for the remainder of the flight it was a "serve yourself" at the galley, in what was basically an open bar. The FAs set out a supply of liquor, mixers, beer, sodas, juices, and snacks and you just wandered up whenever you felt like it and grabbed what you wanted. They were also happy to find what you wanted if it was not on the counter. This was actually quite nice. We almost always fly AA, but have used BA and Iberia. I give AL high marks. I also think their "duty free shopping" prices are better than most airlines.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Debbie

We flew with Aer Lingus in 2000 for our 1st trip over and are using them again in 2003. I thought they were fine - better than NW to London for sure. <BR><BR>If you want something specific from inflight duty free, you should ask right away - they tend to run out of a lot of stuff 1/2 through the plane. <BR><BR>you can't beat the value though, for a direct flight from Chicago to Dublin/Shannon.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Ann

I don't fly Aer Lingus unless I can save at least $200 per ticket over United or Virgin. It's just not worth it. I've flown them 4 times, once this year. I stupidly forgot my don't-fly-Aer-Lingus rule and lived to regret it. Cramped, tiny planes, and really very little to recommend.<BR><BR>If price is your ONLY consideration, then go with them. Otherwise, check out any other airline, except Continental (seems almost identical to Aer Lingus for some reason), unless they are going a code share with Virgin.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Jim

Flew Aer Lingus JFK/Shannon two weeks ago and it was a good flight. Like the other poster said, plenty of good Guinness. Flights took off on time and had the pleasure of using their private lounge at JFK. One of the best things is you don't have to worry about any knuckleheads trying any funny business because there are always about 30 guys on the plane who look like they just stepped off the rugby field.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Amy

I've taken Aer Lingus a few times a year at least for the last 10 years. Going from Boston to Dublin, they're my choice of carrier. No layovers in Heathrow, just direct to the city, never any problems with anything. Food and service is no worse or better than any other airline heading that way (don't understand the Virgin/United comparison, they're all the same to me) I find the staff and passengers very friendly. Go for it, I would and will!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Diane

Used them on my trip in June. They are great would fly with them anytime.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 05:32 AM
d

Ann is so wrong.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Ishoo

Be aware that TravelGuard will not insure travel on Aer Lingus. Must be something wrong with the company when that is the case.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Lillie Harty

When you board Aer Lingus in Boston,New York,Chicago or L.A. you feel you are in Ireland immediately.You will often notice the buzz of conversation as people speak to their neighbours readily in Ireland.Once it was like a party on the Boston-Dublin route.They use quite new planes and they are one of the few airlines that will show a profit this year.I really like them and fly with them by choice.I am very tempted to fly with them in the next few weeks as they are offering excellent value across the Atlantic on www.aerlingus.com

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 11:38 AM
bill

Wait a minute. I have nothing against Aer Lingus, but they are one of the few airlines to show a profit? I was thinking that last February they were days from shutting down if they couldn't pull in some funding from the Gov't. I was under the impression that they ended up laying aff a pretty good number of employees and the resulting labor dispute left a pretty good number of people stranded for a few days. What a shame, stranded in Ireland.<BR><BR>I may have some of the facts wrong, but I think this is generally what happened. I can't believe that would allow them to &quot;show a profit&quot;.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 12:55 PM
mikey

Bill<BR><BR>Aer Lingus announce Oct 3rd they will make a profit of E40 million this year. It helped when they declared bankruptcy, cut costs, service (ie Orlando, baltimore), and personnel. See www.ireland.com for more

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 01:45 PM
great

Isn't it cool when you can declare bancruptcy and declare a &amp;euro;40M profit in the same year. Someone got screwed there.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Jane

I have to say that Aer Lingus is the worst airline we've ever travelled on. We have vowed never to travel on it again. Cramped, cramped seating. Terrible food - worst I've ever had and I usually can eat anything.<BR><BR>I must warn you, do not take a CD player with you unless you plan to use it when you get to your destination. You cannot use it on the aircraft at any time. Nor can you use DVD's on your computer laptop. Verbotin. Nyet. Don't even think about it. <BR><BR>Also, if you are going to Shannon, you will be routed through Dublin in both directions. This means the trip took 10-11 hours instead of 6-7 hours direct from Chicago.<BR><BR>Let me see, what else. Oh yes, they didn't call rows when we boarded in Shannon to come home so everyone just crowded around the door to get on the plane and it took twice as long to board with people blocking the aisles.<BR><BR>But it was fairly cheap. My frugal husband, for the first time ever, said he would rather pay more than ever fly Aer Lingus again.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:24 PM
kayd

Jane, I've found Aer Lingus no better or wose than any other airline. The only difference I noticed is the free-for-all boarding at Shannon, which did not seem to take any longer than the row-by-row method. That surprised me.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 03:10 PM
kam

Aer Lingus has worked well for us in the past two trips to Shannon from LAX. There is a Saturday flight that goes just to Shannon. Only complaint is tight seating, but that's true of so many other carriers, it's almost not worth mentionning.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Dawn

Just returned from NYC with AER LINGUS &amp; they were really good. The food was better than some I've flown with &amp; we found the leg room to be ample. The inflight films were good so too were the free drinks. You can go &amp; get yourself a re-fill of soft drinks anytime you want. I would fly with them again anytime.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 10:41 AM
ryan

Good airline, have flown on them twice. Both times were from Ireland to cities in the UK. On time, friendly, and no problems. All eight of us had big bags and golf clubs too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -