Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page > If you need a one-way flight to Europe, try Dublin

If you need a one-way flight to Europe, try Dublin

Mar 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

If you need a one-way flight to Europe, try Dublin

If you compare one-way flights to Europe, Dublin is like 1/3 the price. Ryanair has connections from Dublin to most cities in Europe, too. A one-way flight from Orlando to Dublin on Delta is $338.00. A one-way flight from Orlando to Paris on Delta is $2058. The cheapest one-way ticket from Orlando to Paris is $1180 with two connections on Air Canada.
Mar 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Wally,

Just to validate what you said, I went to AA that now offers one-way flights as an option. Since I knew AA flies to Dublin through ORD, here's what I found.

SFO - DUB was $314 one-way and SFO to CDG was $1,714.

The weight restrictions are pretty tough for the "economy" airlines, so be prepared to pay or pack less.

The amount of money you save will buy you a pint or three of Guinness. If you fly into Shannon Airport, get an Irish Coffee, supposedly invented there.

The great former travel writer for the SF Chronicle, Stanton Delaplane had several in Shannon to fight the biting cold while there in the 1950's. He subsequently worked with the Buena Vista Cafe in SF to make a good one in which the whipping cream floated. They apparently stayed drunk for 3 days trying to get the recipe right.
Mar 4th, 2009, 08:53 PM

wally's observation is correct. Mostly due to Aer Lingus's pricing. They basically price each leg separately, so other airline have to follow.
Mar 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM

This has been true for some years. My wife and I rode one way from Shannon to Boston 3 years ago for US$140 each. The plane was an AA 757, sold as all-coach; however due to our frequent flyer status we got to sit in the "first class" seats even though it was economy service. Best value ever for a paid ticket.
Mar 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM

AA has DFW to Dublin (via Chicago ORD)for $438.50 RT over Memorial Day weekend. The fare code is N so AAdvantage miles are earned and SWUs may be used. The RT fare is $329.00 and taxes are an additional $109.50.

Other dates are available and other cities are available.

Search this Thread