Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying high & packing to prevent spilling lotions, toothpaste, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:16 AM
susan

I'm flying for the first time to Europe next month and am beginning to paln on packing. What is the possibility of lotions, toothpaste, and other toiletries exploding or spilling in my baggage flying due to the low air pressure at 35,000 feet? I don't want everything all over my clothes in the event this happens. What is the best way to pack and protect this from happening?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 02:32 AM
I'm not

Put them in a sealed plastic bag (double bag if you're really worried). Try to get travel-sized toiletries -- if they DO spill or explode there'll be less product wasted.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 02:43 AM
belinda

Susan - I think another option is to pack those items in your carry on luggage so that they are being transported in a pressurized cabin. I would still put them inside plastic bags, just in case.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 02:56 AM
Dick

You're worrying unnecessarily. Airliners are, of course, pressurized, usually to about the equivalent of an altitude of 7000 ft or a bit less (according to my altimeter watch, which works on air pressure). Nobody could survive at a pressure of 35,000 ft. Also, the baggage compartment is pressurized to the same amount, so it doesn't matter where you put your toiletries.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:17 AM
Jayelle

I agree with plastic bags. Ziplock bags have saved my clothing several times from messy spills.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:43 AM
anon

Is anyone besides me giggling a bit at the thought of a toothpaste tube exploding due to reduced atmospheric pressure? Do they teach ANY physics any more?<BR><BR>Your blood would boil long before a toothpaste tube would explode. I would be surprised if a toothpaste tube would explode even at or below 1 torr. I'm not even sure it would explode in the vacuum of space.<BR>

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:25 AM
Amy

I recommend getting screw on tops for shampoo and conditioner. I had the pop/flip tops on my last trip and they did pop open (due probably to be compacted with other luggage, not necessarily pressure) and if it were not for the zip lock baggie, there would've been shampoo all over my cosmetic bag.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:30 AM
love european cities

susan:<BR>I stopped carrying shampoos and lotions in bottles. Most (not all) provide all the shampoo, soap and lotions I will ever need. I also use the free samples I receive. they usually come in those foil packets. I guess I have been lucky though, never had any kind if a spill. Zip locks seem to be the bag of choice. Come in a lot of different sizes, too.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:56 PM

topping<BR>

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:27 PM
greg

It is air that expands, not liquids. <BR><BR>One that you need to worry are the ones with lots of air in it. Remove as much air as possible, for example if it is a plastic bottle, squeeze the air out and close the lid. Then for protection, put them in sealed plastic bags. For rigid contain like metal or glass bottles, sealed plastic bags are the only easy solution.