Fly to Berlin or Prague?

Jan 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Fly to Berlin or Prague?

I am working on an airline ticket to Prague or Berlin. I am not able to purchase an open jaw ticket, which would be ideal. I can fly into either Prague or Berlin, I will need to return to the city I fly into to fly out of the area. Which city is best to fly into, and does it make any difference whether I travel Berlin to Prague to Berlin or Prague to Berlin to Prague.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jan 2nd, 2010, 06:42 AM
yk

I assume if you fly into Berlin, you''ll fly into TXL (Tegel)? I can tell you that it's easy to get into the city from TXL by the TXL bus, which costs about 2 euro or so.

I can't comment on Prague's airport.

Why cannot you purchase an open jaw? Because it's too expensive?

I assume you'll be taking the train roundtrip between the 2 cities? It takes almost 5 hours by train. If you buy your ticket in advance on DB website, you may be able to get the Europa-Spezial Tschechien fare for €58 r/t per person in 2nd class (vs €122,40 for standard 2nd class r/t fare).
Jan 2nd, 2010, 08:38 AM

I was able to fly into Prague and out of Berlin.
Berlin airports are easier to get to and from by public transit ; taxis service in Berlin is more reliable than Prague.
I "broke" the train ride from Prague to Berlin by staying in Dresden for 2 nights.
Jan 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM

You can fly open jaws into Berlin and out of Prague or vice versa - but it may involve an extra stop based on where you're coming from. There no way it can be impossible.

IMHO it really doesn't matter which city you fly into or out of - I would just base it on convenience of flights - assuming the price is the same.
Jan 2nd, 2010, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.

yk, I will be travelling on a OW award ticket. I am allowed only one open jaw flight, and I must use this open jaw elsewhere in the itinerary, which is why I can't book open jaw flights for Berlin and Prague. The aiport I would fly into would be TXL. I will need to return to city I fly into to fly out, because of the rules of the ff ticket. I was planning on buying a discounted return train ticket to travel between the two cities.

How is it best to divide 8 days between the two places?
Jan 2nd, 2010, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

opps, sorry damon and nytraveler, thank you for the feedback. I didn't see your posts when I was writing my last post.
Jan 2nd, 2010, 09:55 AM

I visited both cities in July; I would suggest 3 days in Prague, 5 in Berlin.
Jan 3rd, 2010, 05:11 AM

It goes without saying, book your Berlin-Prague train at www.bahn.de for as little as 29 euros, cenre to centre.

If you want a few hours stopover in Dresden, a top tip is to put 'Dresden' in the 'via' box and (say) 04:00 (4 hours, or any stopover you like up t 24 hours) in the 'stopover' box and it'll still give you the cheap 'spezial' fares from 29 euros, complete with stopover in Dresden.

A real bargain!
Jan 3rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all.

Does the train station at Dresden have left luggage where I can store my luggage when sightseeing in Dresden?
Jan 3rd, 2010, 11:20 AM

Yes.
Jan 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ingo.

I forgot to ask, is their an actual left luggage office, or just lockers?
Jan 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM

There's both but I'd go with the lockers. They have them in all sizes. The office is a bit hard to find; I don't think it makes sense to try giving directions here ...