Fly into Munich or Zurich??

Jan 9th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Fly into Munich or Zurich??

Which of these towns would be preferable to fly into from the US & then take a leisurely 3 week vacation driving to a final destination of Paris? Time would be late Sept/early Oct so I don't know how different the weather/drving conditions may be between these 2 towns. I'd love some help! Thanks
Jan 9th, 2007, 06:53 AM

Weather and driving conditions is not a problem that time of the year. It all depends on where you want to go and what you want to see.
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:22 AM

I agree with the previous assessment: What do you want to do after you land?

If you fly into Munich, a visit to that city hardly indicates a car because parking is scarce and expensive. Even the locals need parking permits in the residential areas of the city.

From Munich you have tons of options. You could tour Bavaria, most of Austria, Switzerland, the south Tyrol of Italy (Meran and Bozen), Switzerland and eastern France.

From Zürich, you could visit southern Germany, all of Switzerland, western Austria, and even northern Italy.

It all depends on what you want to do. I think your question is analogous to how would you advise someone who had an option of flying to Chicago or St. Louis? Which would you suggest?

Last year I flew to Munich, spent one day there and 3 days in southern Bavaria before returning to Munich to continue our trip in Switzerland for 11 days more. Then we flew home from Zürich.
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I know I need to do more research to know what we want to do! The firm idea was touring the Loire Valley & Provence on our way to a final few days in Paris. So I was trying to do an open jaws vacation so we would not be backtracking. Last year we flew into Rome, drove all through Italy & flew home from Venice so I was attempting to do something like that but I am not familiar with Munich (just changed planes there) or Zurich. Thought the weather issue may be the deciding issue anyway. So I am open to suggestions! I'm using my United FF miles so I was loking at Milan (terrible flight times!) or Zurich or Munich or Barcelona or just RT to Paris. Ideas?
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:48 PM

I have flown into both cities. My choice usually comes down to where I get the better rates. Usually it's Zuerich. The trains from Zuerich to Munich are quite convenient.

Other than that, the other respondents have given you plenty of useful pros and cons in terms of whnat to do and see in the environs of each city.