Florence -Which day of the week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which day of the week would be best to visit Florence in the summer? A Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Tuesday? I know many of the top museums are closed on Monday. Would appreciate your opinions. Thanks!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 04:16 PM

I guess it depends on what you want to do, but if you have any shopping in mind, do not go on Sunday. Most of the good stores will be closed.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 04:54 PM
ira

Hi,<BR> You are going to Florence for *one* day? Are you sure it's worth the bother?
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:17 AM

One thing for sure: do not go there on the week-end! In summer Florence is already too crowded during the week days, to go there on a Friday, a Saturday or a Sunday means to bump into a soild wall of people.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:32 AM
LJ

And that would leave you with Tuesday which would bring me back to Ira's POV: are you sure you want to go for one day in Florence...it is a rather unusual approach.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:39 AM

I agree, avoid the weekends! Florence is too crowded with tourists on Sat and Sun, but a joy during the week. Plus during the week, you get to see all those great looking local men in their business suits : )
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. We will be staying in Siena and might be able to go for more than one day but I was just wondering which days are less crowded. I had actually thought the weekend might be better! Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Actually on week-ends Florence is not only crowded with tourists from abroad, it also gets invaded by Italian tourists on a week-end holiday and by locals that reach the center of the city for a stroll. Do not forget that Italian are tourists in italy too, only that we have italy close at hand and can afford to move for the week-end.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 11:16 AM

We drove into Florence from our agriturismo near Monteriggoni on two different days during our stay in Tuscany.<BR>The first day we drove in on a weekday morning and were astounded by the incredible traffic as we navigated into the city center to park under the train station. We snagged one of the few remaining parking spots that morning, and had an adrenalin rush like never before from the drive (we were so glad to survive it!). If you are driving, plan for this type of traffic so that you arrive on time for any museum reservations you may have.<BR>On the following Saturday we found the traffic much easier to deal with, we got to the parking garage earlier to make sure we had a parking spot, and found it easy to deal with the weekend crowds - and it was hugely crowded due to it being the day of Calcio Storico Fiorentino - the renaissance football game. If you have experience with crowds on the most crowded day at Disney World - you'll find Florence crowds easy to deal with - at least you can buy gelato to keep you happy.<BR>So, I don't think there is a day that is better than the other and would highly encourage a day trip to Florence if that's what you'd like to mix into the quieter experience of Siena.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 11:26 AM

The important question is what you want to see most while visiting Florence. Different days mean different closings. If you post a list of your &quot;must-sees&quot;, I'll check against my notes (was there recently for 10 days) and (as accurately as possible given changing times/closings days) let you know what is open. IMVHO, Florence for a day would be better than no Florence at all, especially since you will be so near.