Mondays in Florence

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Barbara A

Mondays in Florence

I'll be in Florence on a Sunday for half a day and a full day on MOnday. I heard that the main museums are closed on Mondays. Is this true and if so, I would welcome suggestions on how to spend my one full day in Florence. Thx

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 05:31 AM
John

Yes Barbara, the Uffizi and Accadamia are both closed on Mondays. We were there for one day only as well and we wound up doing a lot more shopping and eating then we had planned. The Pitti Palace was open but we couldn't go thru there and up into Boboli Gardens because they are closed every first and third Monday of the month as well!

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 06:50 AM
jean

If you have no other chance to get outside of Florence, Monday is a good day to do a day trip. Maybe Siena, San Gimignano, Lucca, a Chianti tour?

Otherwise, the churches, shopping, gelato are all availabe in Florence (I think the Bargello is also open Mon).

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Tina

I'm planning a trip to Florence in September and was going to do a day trip that day. Take my suggestions with a grain of salt since I haven't actually been there yet. Check the travel guides but I believe the duomo is open on Mondays. Also, it sounds like the Oltrarno across the Ponte Vecchio would be a nice place to walk around. Fiesole is also a 20 minute trip from Florence and offers views of the city. This might be a nice opportunity to just relax, walk around, and absorb the atmosphere without getting bogged down with lines and tourists. You can reserve tickets in advance to Uffizi and/or Accademia for Sunday afternoon.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 06:30 AM
ellen

I was in Florence on the third Monday of October last year and the Boboli Gardens were open. Great views over Florence. The churches are of course open, except for a few hours during the afternoon. If this day and a half is going to be your total time in Florence, I don't think I'd take a trip out of the city, except perhaps to Fiesole. There is enough to enjoy in the city, even without the museums, for a day.

Old Aug 16th, 2003, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to bump this to the top, hoping for some more suggestions on what to do on a Monday in Florence.

I'm going to be there on Monday, September 1st, so the Uffizi, Academia, and Pitti Palace/Boboli Gardens will all be closed (which means we get to cram them into Sunday if possible!).

Thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 02:23 AM

unless you plan on being selective as to which specific works you want to see at the uffizi and pitti, you'll never be able to cram both (much less include the accademia) in an afternoon.

i would choose the uffizi making sure to have reserved in advance unless you want to spend half the afternoon in line. you may have time left for the accademia but that is unlikely. save the pitti for another trip.

for your full day all the churches will be open if you're not "arted out". i could spend the better part of a morning just doing the doors to the bapistry.

otherwise, simply walk about, cross the arno and enjoy the atmoshere.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:42 AM

I agree with Subcon that it would be hard to see everything in the Accademia, Uffizi and Pitti Palace in one day. However, if you are wanting to see specific works of art and not spend a whole lot of time in each place, I think it is doable, just to experience each. Especially if you are only in town for a couple of days.

On Monday I would suggest seeing the churches, spending the afternoon in Fiesole, then doing some shopping, roaming, etc. in Florence. You could watch the sunset from Piazzele Michelangelo, as well.

Another suggestion is to research trip reports on the board and see how other people have filled their Mondays in Florence.

Good luck!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 07:05 AM
ira

Hi Barbara,

Try this:

Start at the Duomo and the Baptistry.

Go East to Via del Proconsolo and go South to the Bargello Museum.

From there, continue South to Vi de Gondi and turn right. Go a few blocks to the Pzza Signoria.

Head South to the river and turn right. The Ponte Vecchio is a few blocks away.

Cross the river, and walk West to the next bridge and cross back. Go North to Via della Spada and bear right onto Via del Sole. Go right at Via Avelli to the Church of Santa Maria Novella.

Cross the street to Via Sant'Antonino and walk about 6 blocks to the Mercato Centrale.

One block North of the market is Via Guelfa. Takes this East to Via Cavour. Turn right. The Duomo is about 3 locks South.

Take pictures, have lunch, eat gelato. Have a good day.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Great plan, Ira! I'm impressed!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 08:58 AM
ira

Thank you Statia,

I used my Streetwise Guide.