Florence suggestions, please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my mother to Paris and Florence in July. We'll be in Florence for one week in mid July (I know it'll be hot and crowded but this was the only time I could get off from work).

It's been about 10 years since I was last in Florence so my memory is pretty fuzzy - especially regarding where to eat. I have looked through previous messages and have gotten couple of places but if you have any further suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. While I expect we'll enjoy several picnic-style meals, I'm looking for eateries for lunch, dinner and snack (up to 40 Euros for 2).

We are staying at Antica Torre Tournabuoni so any suggestions within a 10 - 15 minute walking distance would be very helpful. Of course, any other suggestions (e.g., shopping, to see, to do) would be most welcome.

Many, many thanks in advance. I will be sure to report back with all the details as soon as I return from my trip in late July.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 12:41 PM

What first comes to mind is the heat and the crowds...and how to make the best of it. Having a week gives you plenty of time to pace yourself.

If you plan on the Uffizi and the Accademia, I would make reservations ahead of time for early in the morning. That way you will be finished before the worst heat of the day. You could then have an early lunch and return to the hotel to freshen up. It would probably make good sense to start your days early.

You might also consider a day trip out of the city and into the countryside, possibly to a vineyard. Or a ride up to Piazzale Michelangelo for a fabulous view, and you can cool off at the Church of St. Miniato Al Monte, although it is a bit of a hike.

I'm not sure where your hotel is exactly, but three restaurants which we enjoyed are:

* Paoli, Via dei Tavolini. This is a very pretty restaurant, old and medival with vaulted ceilings. The tables are close together, but the food was good and the atmosphere was fun. We enjoyed this dinner.

* Il Latini, Via dei Palchetti. This is one of the more popular restaurants in Florence. We were told that their recipes are old and authentic Florentine. The food was very good, and there were many locals as well as tourits. It is a bit noisy, but a fun atmosphere. They don't take reservations..when we were there...but don't be discouraged by the crowd of people at the door since the restaurant is large inside.

* Le Mossacce, Via del Pronconsolo. This is much smaller and there is usually a wait. The food was good and we met a nice Irish couple so we had a few bottles of wine and enjoyed the meal.

The best advice I was ever given: Eat lots of gelato!
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 02:42 PM
ira

Hi jo,

Don't skip lunch or dinner at Il Ritrovo Via de? Pucci 4/A Best food for the price Has fish. Full dinner w/wine abt $40 pp Closed Monday
From Pzza San Giovani (NW corner of the Pza del Duomo) walk one blk East to Via dei Martelli. Go left to Via dei Pucci. Turn Right. Look very carefully on left. No sign. Door could be locked. Ring bell.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 03:34 PM

There is a very cheap (and very good) Chinese restaurant off of Piazza Santa Croce. If you stand facing the church at the front steps, it is to your left down a narrow street. You will see the red laterns outside. I thought this place was a hoot because the Chinese family that runs the place (their home is in the back) speak Italian as their main language. It was funny to see an ancient Chinese grandmother (she is the cashier) place her hands on her head and say, "Oh, mamma mia!"

You should go to Farmaceutica Santa Maria Novella at Via della Scalla, 16 n, the famous perfume shop.

For people watching, have a coffee and pastry at Cafe Gili, opposite the Savoy Hotel in Piazza Repubblica.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

This is very helpful! Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I can't wait!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 01:40 AM

My favourite Florentine reastaurants and trattoria.
Enjoy!!!
1. Trattoria Icche C?è C?è (dialect for ?whatever is, is?; pron. ee-kay chay chay) is a small, family-style place where fun-loving Gino serves good traditional meals (moderate, not too touristy, closed Mon, midway between Bargello and river at Via Magalotti 11 red, tel. 055-216-589).

2. Trattoria Nella serves good, typical Tuscan cuisine at affordable prices, including the best gnocchi in town. Arrive early or be disappointed (Mon-Sat 12:00?14:30 & 19:30?22:00, closed Sun, 3 blocks northwest of Ponte Vecchio, Via delle Terme 19 red, tel. 055-218-925).

3. Fiaschetteria "I Fratellini"
Via dei Cimatori, 38R
Probably the smallest wine bar in Florence. Opened in 1875, it's one of the most fun! Locals refer to it by the nickname "I Gemellini". Push your way up to the bar, and order one of the wines they've opened for sampling. Choose something from their menu, a crostini or sandwich, and work your way back out onto the street. Fortunately, there's no traffic and you can enjoy the scene. In the bar, there's a wooden glass holder on the wall where you can rest your glass while eating. Spaces are numbered to help you remember which is yours!

4. Fiaschetteria-Trattoria Mario - Via Rosina, 2R
Behind Mercato di San Lorenzo in the Piazza Mercato Centrale - Tel: 055-218-550
Open for lunch only A must for anyone visiting Florence! Mario is only open for lunch, Monday through Saturday. There is always a line! To avoid the line, come before noon before the locals arrive. Try the Zuppa di Verdura, vegetable soup served with a slice of toasted bread on the bottom. This is the place to try the famous Florentine steak. The food is a great bargain, so splurge on a bottle of great wine.

5. La Pentola dell'Oro (Alessi) - Via di Mezzo, 24-26R - Tel: 055-241-808 - Closed Sunday
Alessi is a private club several blocks from Santa Croce. Giusseppe Alessi with his wife and son create food that delight and fascinate Florentines. He considers himself more of an alchemist than a chef, and the emulsions he creates are magical. He's a philosopher in the kitchen; if you can understand Italian, you will be able to appreciate the research he puts into modern interpretations of antique recipes. He's famous for his rendition of Brunelleschi's Peposo, a beef stew rich with pepper. He even works with wineries to create wines that are right for his dishes. Everything at Alessi is incredible except the bill which is low!

6. Inside the San Ambrogio market - Open for lunch only
Uncomfortable tables; however, when you eat the food and see the bill, it's all worth it! You can also get food to go at Rocco! One of the fun experiences of being in Florence is to eat in a market.

7. Il Cibrèo - Via Andrea del Verrocchio, 8R - Tel: 055-234-11-00 -Closed Sunday & Monday
Reservations is suggested.
Cibrèo is a gastronomic oasis, combining an elegant restaurant with a trattoria at its back door that share the same kitchen, and an exciting bar across the street. Cibrèo's front room offers a memorable dining experience. Fabio Picchi, the owner, does not believe in serving pasta as a first course. However, with the heavenly dishes he offers in its place, you won't miss it. Let the staff help you order; you're in good hands.

8. Trattoria Sostanza-Troia is a characteristic and well-established place with shared tables and a loyal local following. Whirling ceiling fans and walls strewn with old photos create a time-warp ambience. They offer two seatings, requiring reservations: one at 19:30 and one at 21:00 (Great steaks, lunch 12:00?14:00, closed Sat, Via del Porcellana 25 red, tel. 055-212-691).

9. TRATTORIA BORDINO - 9/R., v. Stracciatella - Phone: 0039 055 213048
This cozy and candlelit Trattoria, just up the street and actually built into the old town wall (c. 1170), serves tasty and beautifully presented Florentine cuisine ?with international influence? (closed Sun).

Trattoria La Casalinga - Via dei Michelozzi, 9R - Tel:055-218-624 - Closed Sunday.
Located on a small street that leads into Piazza Santo Spirito, this is one of the most traditional trattoria's in Florence. Open for lunch and dinner, this is the Mario's of San Frediano! It's one of the few places where you can still find lasagna on the menu. Real home cooking! Popular with locals and foreign students in the know--great food at incredibly low prices.

11. AMERICAN BAKERY
Mr. Jimmy?s ? THE AMERICAN BAKERY IN FLORENCE
where you can find original Cookies, Brownies, Muffins, Bagels and much more.
Via San Niccolò, 47 ? Florence - Tel. 055-2480999
Hours Monday - Saturday 9 am - 7 pm - Sunday closed
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 04:53 AM

Ninetta,

Are you Judy from Divina Cucina? I have some of your recommendations on my ?list of places to dine? for my trip to Florence in June.

If you are NOT Judy, DON?T pass on her restaurant listing as your own. I don?t see a problem with you writing your OWN comments about the places you enjoyed, but to copy another person?s recommendations word for word????

Mary
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:04 AM

FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE WITH ALL FODORS FORUM MEMBERS FOR THIS ?FUNNY? DISPUTE BETWEEN MARY AND ME.

Mary or do I have to call you Judy (?): thank you very much for your kind reply, I appreciate it.

I?m not Judy, but I have visited her website and found it marvellous, I?ll surely pass to all my friends.

I?m a member of a US cultural association, and I use to travel to Tuscany with them twice a year.
I?m originally from Hungary, so please accept my apologies for my terrible English.

Are European citizen accepted in this forum????

So, as a member I have received some information about Florence, we use to help each other with various information regarding Tuscany etc., and I?m not actually able to know all the sources that has been used for this ?restaurant file?.

But, as I personally know all these places please find below some personal comments that I don?t think that could be helpful to Jo 131:

Trattoria Icche C?è C?è - Via Magalotti 11 red, tel. 055-216-589).
The first time I went there was September 2003, when I lost the keys of the apartment I have rented, just around the corner. I was really desperate, but people were friendly and allows me to use their telephone. Cannot forget them. Food was excellent.

Trattoria Nella - Via delle Terme 19 red, tel. 055-218-925.
I went there in May 2001, that night there?re was a small concert inside?.then I discover that the owners, Federico and Lorenzo Fattorini (they?re twin brother) are musicians. I?ve been very lucky, I find myself in the middle of a real party with real Italians!!!! Food was simple but very good.

Fiaschetteria "I Fratellini" - Via dei Cimatori, 38R
I always have the sandwich with herrings and salsa verde (the same sauce Tuscans use to combine with boiled beef ? lesso).

Fiaschetteria-Trattoria Mario - Via Rosina, 2R
My best friend son, lived in Florence for a semester and as we used to eat at Mario?s trattoria everyday for lunch he realize a video about the place. I?m sure we?ll become a video maker, is wonderful.

La Pentola dell'Oro (Alessi) - Via di Mezzo, 24-26R - Tel: 055-241-808
I contact Mr. Alessi first time in 1998 when we wanted him in US for as food lecture. Food is different, simply marvellous.

Inside the San Ambrogio market - Open for lunch only ? Rocco
I went there many times, as my last apartment was in Santa Croce square. After a tour of the market is always a pleasure to meet Rocco and his kind staff. Last time I fall down as they have no visible steps close to the tables. Mind the step Mary!!!!

Il Cibrèo - Via Andrea del Verrocchio, 8R - Tel: 055-234-11-00 -Closed Sunday & Monday
What to say, expensive but it worth a visit. Here is where I met cristina and her husband, my new Italian friends.
Then, I also went there with my parents last September for my wedding dinner (Sept. 20th)!!!!!

Trattoria Sostanza-Troia - Via del Porcellana 25 red, tel. 055-212-691
I went there last time in September 2002. Good place where to eat.

TRATTORIA BORDINO - 9/R., v. Stracciatella - Phone: 0039 055 213048
I COULDN?T FIND IT IN THE JUDY?S WEBSITE, I SUGGEST TO INCLUDE IT IS A WONDERFUL RESTAURANT.
THE FOUNDER, MR. BORDINO USED TO PARTICIPATE TO CAR RACES WITH TAZIO NUVOLARI, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!!
This cozy and candlelit Trattoria, just up the street and actually built into the old town wall (c. 1170), serves tasty and beautifully presented Florentine cuisine ?with international influence? (closed Sun).

Trattoria La Casalinga - Via dei Michelozzi, 9R - Tel:055-218-624 - Closed Sunday.
Here is where I met one of the last descendant of the Medicis family. Don?t expect an elegant restaurant, is the simplest in Florence, but also the most genuine.

AMERICAN BAKERY
Mr. Jimmy?s - THE AMERICAN BAKERY IN FLORENCE - Via San Niccolò, 47 ? Florence - Tel. 055-2480999
I COULDN?T FIND IT IN THE JUDY?S WEBSITE.
Here is where I had my only ?Italian? bagel with cream cheese, after a week of Tuscan food it worth a visit.
Then, they prepared my wedding cake last September.

Mary, I wish you a memorable trip to Tuscany.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Good afternoon Ninetta,

Please don't misunderstand my posting - I would much prefer to read your own comments (thanks for providing them!) than someone copying verbiage from another web site - is that proper? I would recommend you suggest to others to visit Divina Cucina's web site along with your own comments as you did in your last posting. I personally would go on the recommendation of a restaurant from a fellow fodors person than a web site I'm not familiar with.

Of course Europeans are welcome here!

Thanks, I hope to have a wonderful time in Tuscany!!

Mary
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:44 AM

I didn't misunderstand your posting, was perfectly clear and quite aggressive.
I'm sorry but I personally dind't copy from any website. I apologize with forum members and hope this is the last posting I have to write, naturally in this specific forum.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 10:04 AM

To quote Ninetta: I'm sorry but I personally dind't copy from any website.

Please check out this link: http://www.divinacucina.com/code/sanlorenzo.html

Now read the description for Mario?s. Now read what you wrote in your original posting.

Please check out this link: http://www.divinacucina.com/code/duomo.html

Now read the description for Fiaschetteria "I Fratellini." Now read what you wrote.

Tell me you didn?t copy her web site! Is that not copyright infringement? Here are two definitions of Copyright infringement: When another party besides the copyright owner reproduces a copyrighted work, in whole or in part, without the copyright owner's permission. Violation of copyright through unauthorized copying or use of a work or other subject matter under copyright.

If someone were not familiar with Divina Cucina, they would assume this information was your own.

I suggest in the future when you reference something that is not your own, refer other travelers to a particular web site. Also, add your own comments as you did in your second posting. Don?t just take someone?s information copy it as your own. People will respect your information a lot better than the way you handled this one.

Or maybe I should ask Fodors to delete this posting since your original posting is really improper.

Mary
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 10:53 AM

I already send my "apologies" in the post dated April 20th. Please read it carefully again.
AGAIN AND FOR THE LAST TIME:
I'm a member of a US cultural association, and I use to travel to Tuscany with them twice a year.
So, as a member I have received some information about Florence, we use to help each other with various information regarding Tuscany etc., and I'm not actually able to know all the sources that has been used for this restaurant file.
So I suppose the file passed from hand to hand, or better from e mail e mail, I couldn't image was reporting a website text.
That's it!

Mary if you think that is necessary to ask Fodors to delete this posting it's on you. I already explained twice what's the matter with this missunderstanding.
It's your decision, not mine.

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Please Ninetta and Mary, give it up. It's not important and definitely not interesting for the rest of us.