Favorite restaurants in Florence

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:55 AM

Favorite restaurants in Florence

Any suggestions?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:04 AM
elaine

You should do a search here on
Florence restaurant for many suggestions but here are a couple of mine
Paoli:. The dining room was pretty and very Florentine with frescoed walls and a 14th century vaulted ceiling. It was very crowded, but the service was good. Menu included bistecca fiorentina, the steak Florence is known for. Via dei Tavolini, 12/r
tel.: 055-216-215. Restaurant is also recommended in the Lonely Planet guide for its lower-priced "tourist menu".
We had a great dinner at Pallotino. It also just happens to be next door to Vivoli. the gelato mecca, so that’s where we had our dessert.
Another diner said in the Fodor's Rants and Raves section: "One of the best meals we had during our 2 weeks in Italy! Delicious and a great value. We recommend it to everyone."
Special treat: The best hot chocolate I’ve ever had, yes, even better than at Angelina’s in Paris, was at Rivoire, Piazza della Signoria 5. Rivoire is perhaps the best café-bar for people-watching in Florence and the Piazza della Signoria is by far the most striking square in Florence. If you sit outside you can at the same time view the magnificent sculptures displayed in the Piazza, keeping in mind that the “David” is a copy because the original is in the Accademia museum. Seating is available both indoors and outside. Chocolate and sweets are the claim to fame here. The hot chocolate is thick with a huge portion of whipped cream on top. Sandwiches are also available, as is coffee and wine. Closed on Mondays. I’ve also read that the hot chocolate is wonderful at Café le Rose, Piazza dell Unita, near the train station.
Once our hotel recommended a nearby casual place called Acqua Cotta which was only 2 blocks away in the Santa Croce area. The food was excellent. Via dei Pilastri 51, phone 055 242 907. You can spend less if you don’t order meat as a main course.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Book Chick

"Da Noi" at 46 r via Fiesolana and "Il Cavallino" at 4 r via delle Farine.

Buon Appetito & Buon Viaggio,
BC

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:10 PM
steve

We really enjoyed La Giostra. It's a tiny place where the owner/chef reviews the menu for you and his sons assist with service. It is very popular so reservations are essential.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Sue

The Ciangali Bianco had been recommended to us, and we thought it was a great little family-owned restaurant that has wonderful ambience and a large following; make reservations, even if just earlier the same day. It is on the street (Jacopo) that runs parallel to the Arno, on the Pitti Palace side of river. Cross Ponte Vecchio, turn right, and it's on the left side a couple of blocks up the street.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Shannon

Is Bronzino on Via delle Ruote 27 still there? It was fabulous!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:38 PM
dean

Cashlingha over by Santo Spirito
Cibreo Trattoria behind the more famous and pricy restaurant of the same name.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Gregg

Try 13 Gobbi street. Great bistecca fiorentina and anti pasti. Very nice wine list as well. I also 2nd the rec on La Giostra. As for Cibreo-restaurant or cafe-I would never go back . The maitre'd at the cafe offers what he feels like, which apparently is not all that's available. We never saw a menu. We met the couple next to us and I had asked for a plate they were enjoying and was told it was not available. My wife, a vegetarian, felt uncomfortable when requesting something vegetarian. As if it were a big problem. Way too much tude! Aside from this one bad experience, Florence rocks! If you like wine, find an enoteca and enjoy. I'm off to France in May for more of the same.
Cheers!
Gregg

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:26 PM
andy

MY favorite was Enotecca Pinchiorra--the only MICHELIN starred Italian restaurant--but it will break the bank!

5 courses include wine--

Go for a special occasion like an annivesary celebration....

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:49 PM
Jan

Gregg, I must agree with you. Cibreo was not my idea of a good restaurant. As you say, they had way too much attitude and the food, though interesting...was only that...interesting. We ate at the restaurant which was full of tourists. That says something right there! In summary, service was fine, food ok, and prices high...nothing to write home about.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:48 AM
christina

ciao mmmm

i liked till now:

Il Guscio
Via dell'Orto 16

Pane e Vino
Via San Niccolò (70 ... ?)

Enoteca Baldovino (for light Dinner)
Via San Giuseppe 18r

Trattoria/Pizzeria Baldovino
Via San Giuseppe 22r

Cantinetta L'Francescano (very local kitchen)
Largo Bargellini 16

Ristorante Beccofino (contemporary kitchen)
Piazza degli Scarlatti
(at Lungarno Gucciardini, between Ponte St. Trinita and Ponte alla Carraia)

La Giostra
Borgo Pinti

and lots more...

but here's a hot tip for all Cibreo lovers (and the one not anymore sattisfied with it). the ex wife of fabio picchi (owner of cibreo) benedetta vitali opend some years ago

Zibbibo
Via di Terzollina 3r
055 433383

she buldt up with picchi the cibreo and it have been (spelling...) mostly her recepies what makes cibreo so good, she took them now with her to her own ristorante. it's located near careggi hospital, you need a taxi or you take a bus up to her (she can tell you which bus you need). but the food is better than at cibreo, cost the half and it's normally plenty of italians, because for the "normal tourist" it's too far away.

tanti saluti

christina

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:03 AM
JOdy

Christina. Thanks for the info on Zibbibo, I was sorry to hear Cibreo has fallen down in quality as it was one of my favorties in Florence. Will try Zibbibo , next trip , which I hope will be soon!

I second Book Chick's reco of Da Noi..wonderful!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 06:45 AM
elaine

topping for jennifer

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Debbie

Its gotta be Il Latini's! This gem is located literally off a main street with an alley entrance and is known to locals as a wonderful spot to eat. When we went,we had just missed the first seating so we waited out in the alley with others.(When I speak of an alley, it really is a closed side street-not like an American alley). The owner comes out with complimentary trays of white wine, then trays of cold appetizers/cheese and crackers and then additional goodies. It was so fun because as we were waiting we met some interesting people from various parts of the world and it was literally like a international cocktail party. Once we got in to the restaurant,we were treated to wonderful Italian dishes of in varied courses. The house wine is put on your table and you on are an honor system at the end to tell the waiter how many glasses you have had.The place is small and some tables are almost family styled so you could be sharing the huge farmstyle tables with strangers but the various choices of pork,beef and chicken combined with the pastas,soups and salads.............well,lets just say that it be a memorable evening.I just referred some friends to go there a couple weeks ago-said that it was their favorite place out of Venice,Florence and Rome? Casual,not cheap but about average pricing.Desserts are worth a pick too! Have a great trip!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 08:26 AM
deb

I would also recommend La Giostra, Borgo Pinti 10r, tel: 055-24-13-41. We were there for Christmas 2000 and had a wonderful dinner. Delicious food and the service was excellent My son still talks about it and he was only 15! Reservations are definitely needed.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:11 AM
sandi

For something more casual...

We happened upon the Antica Pizzeria dell’Arte on via del Giglio, 28 where we had the best pizza in our lives, I kid you not. Their pizza Margherita is to die for. Fresh, simple tomato sauce, with thick slices of fresh mozzarella and cooked in a wood-burning pizza oven then drizzled with olive oil. We had this same pizza elsewhere and it never compared to this place. They also had great homemade soups.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Katherine

CIBREO! Omigod --it is amazing! Accept the communal table. We went there before our neighbor Riccardo moved in.....and he was born in florence, owned a restaurant there, and now has a restaurant in the US. HE likes Cibreo!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Judy

Thanks Debbie for mentioning my all time memorable restaurant in Italy, Il Latini,we had the same experience as you waiting outside we met the greatest people from all over the world(great outdoor cocktail party) Inside the atmosphere was charged,people passing food from table to table,recommending things to each other, and the staff sends whatever they feel like. Remarkably the bill was so reasonable we thought they made a mistake. Il Latini is mentioned in Fodor's book by the way.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:45 AM
mike

Thanks. Any more?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Mary Jane

I'll endorse Gregg's recommendation, 13 Gobbi is a great find. Food was excellent as was the wine and the waiters very friendly and helpful.
NOTE: Gobbi is not the name of the street it's on - it is located on via del Porcialiana. You can also find it reviewed in the "rants and raves" section of this site under Florence restaurants.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -