Reload this Page >

Florence Restaurant - ASAP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Marilyn

I posted this yesterday but it seems to have disappeared. I'm looking for a good restaurant for 3 adults and 3 13-yr-old girls for lunch or dinner in central Florence. Need a quick reply because we are going in 2 days. (I'm in Orvieto now and didn't know we were going to spend a day in Florence until yesterday.) Thanks, fodorites -- I've been bragging about this great site, so here's hoping you'll prove me right!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Paul

See other thread. Just topped it for you.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:13 AM
helper bee

Marilyn, In case the other thread (Paul topped) gets separated from your urgent request, here's the responses &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR><BR><BR>- - - - - -<BR><BR><BR>The restaurants we ate at (all relatively reasonable and more traditional)<BR><BR>Quattro Leoni - pretty good food, nice outdoor patio. near the Pitti Palace<BR><BR>13 Gobbi - very fun and lively, near the Hotel Excelsior<BR><BR>Pane e Vino - very nice restaurant in the Oltrarno (take a cab, not far, just tough to find)<BR><BR>Osteria Caffe Italiano - a good lunch place near Sante Croce and right by Vivoli (gelato).<BR><BR>Other favorite Gelato is Perche No!<BR><BR>Also ate at the highly rated Beccofino, but thought this was a little too NY for our taste (love that in NY, just not in Florence)<BR><BR><BR>------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>Author: steve (<BR>Date: 07/17/2002<BR>Message: <BR>Try La Giostra. The food is good and the atmosphere is interesting. It's a tiny place. The owner/chef comes out and recites the menu. His twin sons assist with service. <BR><BR><BR>----------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>Author: Book Chick <BR>Date: 07/17/2002<BR>Message: <BR>Il Cavallino, 4 r via delle Farine. Good food, good prices, great service, wonderful location.<BR><BR>Buon Appetito & Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC<BR><BR>----------------------------------------------------<BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR>Author: doug <BR>Date: 07/18/2002<BR>Message: <BR>Another vote for 13 Gobbi. My favorite in Florence<BR><BR> * * * * * *<BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Dianne

Buca del Orafo, near the Ponte Vecchio.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Dawn

I like La Lampara, one block from the Santa Maria Novella train station. It's one block before the begining of the mercado centrale

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:05 AM
ttt-ttt

Coming up on dinnertime in Italy. So, anymore suggestions for Marilyn???<BR><BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Sue

Osteria Cingale Bianco on Borgo Jacopo; good food, ambience, family-owned, reasonable little restaurant. Cross Ponte Vecchio (direction Pitti Palace), turn right first street, runs parallel to Arno.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Ralphie

I second the Cinghiale Bianco. Great place. A majority of the menu selections do contain cinghiale meat (wild boar, similar to pork but better!) so if you or the girls are "grossed out" by that you are hereby warned. But there's nothing scary about this place, we ate their twice during our stay in Florence.<BR><BR>PS their ribollita is excellent too.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Henly Gold

Wherever you may dine in Firenze, or anywhere is Toscana, order Pici!!! It is a homemade pasta that is incredible and I have seen no where else in the world except Tuscany. Some places do it with the chingale. Also be sure to try some zuchinni flowers/blossoms.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:42 AM
sandi

We happened upon the Antica Pizzeria dell’Arte on via del Giglio, 28 where we had the best pizza in our lives, I kid you not. Their pizza Margherita is to die for. Fresh, simple tomato sauce, with thick slices of fresh mozzarella and cooked in a wood-burning pizza oven then drizzled with olive oil. We had this same pizza elsewhere and it never compared to this place. They also had great homemade soups, which was just what we needed on a cool, rainy evening. My son had this pizza 2 nights in a row.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Mark

another backing for 13 Gobi. Its a fun place.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:11 AM
RnR

Cantinetta Antinori, on the ground floor of the family's palace in the center of Florence. Piazza Antinori, 3, tel. 055/292234, reservations suggested. This is an opportunity to drink their great ones by the glass, the tignanello by Antinori, the other Super Tuscans, their special whites. Enjoy!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:42 AM
lbb

I have to agree with Antica Pizzeria dell’Arte on via del Giglio, 28. We had our rehearsal dinner here the day before our wedding and it was wonderful. Not only did they have wonderful food but they saw to it we had a good time also. They were able to seat our large party together. <BR><BR>I know many posters feel that if the menu is in english then the restaurant is less than suitable but I did not feel this to be the case in this instance. <BR><BR>Have fun in Florence!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:22 AM
mgh

-<BR>Up for MAL -- have a great day in Florence !<BR><BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Phebe

OK, Marilyn, where did you go?

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Bob

Just came back from a week in Firenze, visiting family (and some museums). Having been there many times, we've developed a list of favorites, which tend to be bit out of the way (like in residential areas), don't have an English menu, and reasonably priced:<BR><BR>1) We just discovered Ristorante Il Mico (the pussycat!), Via Fra' Bartolomeo 52 R. A little storefront with 25 seats, near Pza. della Liberta. Excellant food, friendly service, at the high pricewise, but worth it. Closed Sunday.<BR><BR>2) Osteria Zio Gigi, Via F. Porinari 7/R, a block behind the Duomo. Locals, handwritten menu, Italian only, but great food for the price.<BR><BR>3) Ristorane Edi House, Pza. Savonarola. Our family's favorite pizzeria, fully of locals and students.<BR><BR>4) Ristorante de Tito, Via S. Gallo, near Pza. della Liberta. Good middle of the road food. Has English menu and the &quot;tourist menu&quot; is actually worth eating, with large portions. Popular with locals and students.<BR><BR>5) Casa de Procuitto, located way out in the country past Fiesole. My family's favorite, great steaks al la fierentino, veal chops, or penne with coniglio (rabbit!) You'll need a car, but the 45 bus from Fiesole goes by too.