Florence Rainy Weather?

Search

Florence Rainy Weather?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence Rainy Weather?

Ok, we have booked our hotel, got our airline tickets, packed our bags, and are ready to go on our vacation, but .... the weather forcast is for mostly cloudy, rain, etc. How many of you go ahead with your plans even though the weather looks bad? We envisioned more sunny days, but it looks like Florence is due for a spell of rain.
What would be your advice for us for those of you who have had experience with being in a great city, but had rainy weather?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 02:37 PM

Well, I always travel in shoulder or off-season, so I plan for at least some rain. I spent two entire weeks in Florence around Thanksgiving time a few years ago, and we even had a bit of snow!

Museums are enjoyable regardless of weather, and much of the sights in Florence are in those museums. You may choose to sit down for lunch in a cozy trattoria instead of having a picnic in the Bobboli Gardens, but you will enjoy a wonderful meal either way.

It is not as if Florence is a beach resort, so I don't see how a little rain will significantly impact your enjoyment.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Maybe you will be lucky. Weather forcasts are often not accurate. Great weather always enhances a trip, but I wouldn't let it spoil one.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 02:52 PM

We left March 24 for Italy and checked the forecast for a few days before departure. The forecast was for rain all over Italy for the entire first week of our trip.

As it turned out, we were pleasantly surprised that we had just one rainy day in two weeks and just a couple of cloudy days.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Well, thank you for your encouragement. I don't know what we will end up doing. If we do cancel out, we will be out about 145 E ($175) for the first night's stay. It's so hard to really concentrate on our trip because of inviting 26 people over for EAster dinner!!! I also work full-time and have had to prepare for a Refinancing, Taxes, Easter, and I am pooped!!! We are flying out on Easter Monday, if we go.

Transportation and 6 days hotel stay already costs us about $1700. Do any of you feel that is a bargain, and about how much higher with museum entrances busses on 1 day trips, souveniers, and food, should we expect to pay?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:09 PM
rex

How could cancelling your trip (over rain?) only cost you $175?

I don't understand what you are saying.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Rex,
We haven't cancelled our trip as of yet and probably won't. Hotel costs at: $175 X 6 nights = $1050
$206 X 1 RT (Standby)
$205 X 1 RT (Standby)
$118 X 1 RT (Standby)
$118 X 1 RT (Standby)
$1698 Total

We haven't paid for anything yet:
$206 X 2 paid if we use "write your own tickets"
($118 X 2 standby airline tickets (charged) are refundable if not used)
Hotel will only charge the first night to our Credit card if we cancel.
I would hate for it to be a very rainy, thunderstorm weather all the time. It rained a couple of days when we were in South Dakota when we were going to view Chief Crazy Horse Monument and weren't able to enjoy seeing it. (The days were sunny and bright when we saw Mount Rushmore, though.) It's just that if you have plans to see things and it's the only day you have because of a schedule, then when it rains it "dampens" things a bit!
Plus with the dollar not doing so good, things are costing more than we were expecting.
Our alternate plans are to go visit our son in LA who will be having a Gig at the Hardrock Cafe at Universal Walk next week. Less cost, free accommodations, just rent a car.
But, .... I think Florence is calling me! Hope this clears things up, Rex.

Princess

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:58 AM
ira

>...Our alternate plans are to go visit our son in LA who will be having a Gig at the Hardrock Cafe at Universal Walk next week. Less cost, free accommodations, just rent a car.

Princess<

You would give up a chance to see your son perform at the Hardrock Cafe in LA in favor of a rainy week in Florence, Italy?

In a heartbeat!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:10 AM

We had the unfortunate luck of being in both Florence and in Rome during heavy rains. The best advice I can give is to try to ignore the rain (I know...seems impossible!) and continue on with your plans. We definitely didn't imagine our first visit to the Colosseum to be during a rain shower but when it came down to it the rain mattered little compared to the experience of seeing the Colosseum! Also, when we were in Italy during rain, it never did rain continuously. It would rain for about a half hour, stop for about an hour, and start up again. So it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Just bring an umbrella and a positive attitude and see what you were planning to see! Hopefully the weather will clear up some.

One more tip: be careful! It was raining when we were at the Roman Forum and I saw several people slip and fall. A lot of the streets are brick or stone (especially ancient sites) and the rain makes it slick.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Take those weather forecasts with a grain of salt. The forecast before I left on 3/19 was rain for 8 days straight but warm (60s). In reality it only rained one day, but was in the low 50s at best, with the exception of one day which was nearly 70. You'll be fine!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 07:22 AM
rex

What are these standby "write-your-own" tickets for $200??!! Are you an airline employee? That might change my answer a good deal if you have such cheap transatlantic airfare options.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Take a positive attitude, research options for indoor activities, and take rain gear. Long range weather forecasting is far from an exact science. I'd press ahead and hope for the best.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Rex,
Yes, we are parents of an airline employee, and very blessed to have such inexpensive travel. However, it is always uncertain if we will arrive on the days we plan for hotels.
You know, I think we will just go ahead with our plans and I'm excited about it. We will start out exhaused from the previous days activities with Easter and all, but we will just sleep on the plane.
Have a wonderful Easter!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:59 AM
rex

Can I be adopted? I would love to be/would promise to be a good "airline employee step-brother"!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:01 PM

A choice between visiting son in L.A. and first trip to Florence? Good luck whatever you decide. Never can tell about the weather. When we took a European trip some years ago it rained the one day in Florence and was warm and sunny in London. Anyway, rain in central Italy is likely to be showers not thunderstorms as in U. S. So shouldn't let a few showers deter you...lots to see indoors such as museums and churches with art pieces. We returned to Florence some years later and enjoyed other things not seen before.

We enjoyed Easter in Pisa a few years ago.
Bill in Missouri