Best way to spend New Year's Day in Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have four nights total in Florence, Dec. 31 - Jan. 4.

For New Year's Day, it seems most of the main attractions, at least museums, are closed. The Duomo, Campanile, and Baptistry are closed. I don't mind walking and walking around the city, at least if it isn't raining too hard. My guidebook has a suggested two-hour walk around Fiesole, and a suggested two-hour walk from the Ponte Vecchio to San Miniato. So if the weather is okay, those would work quite well.

Otherwise, suppose I want to spend some time inside. Obviously Florence has many, many churches of great interest. Some churches are not listed as being closed, but I'm not sure I can count on them being open. Does anyone know what is likely?

Any other ideas for New Year's Day in particular?
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

ttt

As far as I can see, the Medici Chapels are open, so I'll probably do this in the morning.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 09:09 PM

WillTravel, New Years Day is for sure a holiday as you know.

So yes, most everything will be closed up.

However, I have to call my dear friend in Italy in about 2 hours (midnight here on the west coast of US so 9:00am in Italy or about 10:00am tomorrow (Monday Dec. 29th) which is 7:00pm in Italy. I will ask her what possibilities there are. Her sister is the head of the Tourist Agency in Florence so would imagine my friend would know. Plus she was born and more or less raised in Florence also and goes there from her city to visit her sisters a lot.

So hopefully I will reach my friend and get some good information for you.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 11:40 PM

WillTravel, I just talked to my dear friend in Italy. Her sister who is head of the Tourism Agency in Florence was not at my friends house when I phoned (I was hoping she would be) but here is what my friend told me.

As Florence is a city dedicated to tourism you will not have a problem finding restaurants open. And she said that the the city will not be "shut down" although many places will be closed of course. But because Florence gets so many tourist you will have places to visit. She suggested you ask your hotel for advice.

She also said to tell you, at least as of today, the weather is wonderful in that there is blue sky and sunshine and no reports of bad storms or anything. Of course we all know tht weather patterns can change but it sounds like good weather can be anticipated. She said do bring an umbrella (just in case) but even if there is some rain there should not be a terrible storm or anything like that. She said a coat should be brought but that the weather is not at zero (which is our 32 degrees).

I am sorry that my friends sister was not there at the house when I called but I think I got enough info that I feel you will have a beautiful time. Don't forget to stop in one of the wonderful cafes for an espresso or glass of wine when you want to relax and just enjoy being in Florence. Their cafes are so beautiful. And of course the pastries are wonderful.

Best wishes for your trip and an early wish for a Happy New Year (Felice Anno Nuevo).
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

That is wonderful info. Thanks so much for thinking of me and asking your friend. I'm really looking forward to going!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 12:30 AM

I truly believe you will have a wonderful visit in Florence WillTravel.
Will look forward to your trip report.

Enjoy every moment!!
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 04:01 AM

I just booked a tour with "Accidental Tourist" for our trip in March. I got a lot of good information from fodorites. They take you on a wine tour and then a cooking lesson an lunch in the country. Looks like a lot of fun. Just search "accidental tourist" and the information should come up.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 05:20 AM

damama, a wine tour and cooking class and than lunch in Tuscany sounds divine.
Is this your first trip there? You must be very excited. The country is so beautiful! Have fun dreaming of this trip while we get through the cold winter.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 08:04 AM

I am sooo excited. It is my first trip and we are really looking forward to it. I chose the day out of Florence since we were going to be there on Monday and the museums are closed. Didn't want to waste any time. Thanks for your encouragement. Based on your screen name, you obviously know how great this whole trip will be. Rome, Florence and Venice!
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 10:01 AM

We were in Florence last year during those dates and we chose to take the train to Pisa on January 1 to view the Leaning Tower and other buildings. The Leaning Tower was open last January 1st to climb, however, we chose not to do that due to the cost.