Advice Touring Italy Late Nov.

Oct 25th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Advice Touring Italy Late Nov.

I know it's not the very best time of year to tour Italy, but we're taking an Atlantic crossing 12/3 and are planning to spend 7 days prior doing some land touring on our own.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to where it might be the least wet/rainy.

Also, when it rains in Tuscany, is it continuous day after day, or just some brief downpours and then none. (Florence shows 4.5 inches in November (ugh)).

thanks.
Oct 25th, 2006, 06:44 PM

Hi jes02!

I am not the most experienced poster and am really responding in order to bring your post back to the top so someone else may have some input.

However, we went to Rome and Florence in February '06. Florence was definitely colder and rainier at that time of year. However, we still very much enjoyed our visit - just prepared for the weather. The weather report said rain almost every day for both Rome and Florence and this was not the case for us. When it did rain in Rome, it was once during the night. In Florence, we did have one day it rained all day. That was all out of 12 glorious days.

The offset, of course, is fewer crowds. That is a big advantage IMO.

In short, rain or shine, Italy is wonderful! Just prepare with appropriate clothing and an umbrella.
Oct 26th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks LCBoniti,
appreciate the input......jes02
Oct 26th, 2006, 08:28 AM

November is the rainy season in Italy, and in my experience, a rainy day is a rainy day (and may last more than one day) and not just a "blow through" (although that can happen).

If rainy days will really spoil your mood, you might consider some combination of Firenze, Siena, Pisa, Lucca and/or Orvieto and Assisi. All of these places offer a wealth of marvelouos indoor sights and have a density of shops, cafes, etc. that you can duck into if the wet weather gets to be too much. Enjoying them doesn't depend on sunny skies, and in late November you will not only have the benefit of few tourists, but you'll be enjoying the best of the harvest sesason. The eating will be great.

My suggestion would be to plan to divide your time between two of the places I mentioned above and keep your eye on the weather forecasts. If you get a prediction of sunny weather that will hold for a few days, rent a car and see something of the legendary countryside. Otherwise, all the places I mentioned are reachable by train.
Oct 26th, 2006, 08:31 AM

PS: Just to be clear, I am NOT suggestion you try to visit all the places I mentioned. I'm suggesting you pick only two. Any two are worth a week's visit in themselves. If you get some sunny weather, renting a car in, say, Siena, would give you a shot at seeing the famous nearby small hilltowns. Likewise if you are in Asssi.
Oct 26th, 2006, 09:45 AM

We did a train tour of Northern Italy in November two years ago. We had some grey, wet days (you can soon cheer yourselves up with a ciocolata calda= hot chocolate) and also some bright sunny days. I wore a winter coat most of the time but, in Urbino, we had two glorious days of sunshine with temps in the 20s (C).
We flew to Milan and visited Bergamo, Brescia,Mantua, Ferrara, Ravenna and Urbino. The advantage of travelling at that time of the year is the almost empty galleries and churches. Great!
Oct 26th, 2006, 10:08 AM

We were in Florence last Thanksgiving, and it rained all day almost EVERY day. We still had fun though, and there were no crowds to fight. Buy an umbrella.
Oct 26th, 2006, 10:51 AM

We were in Rome and Venice in late November 2003. Most of the days were overcast, and it did rain a day or two in each city, but for the most part it did not impact our schedule or limit our enjoyment. We were lucky in Rome that when it rained it was only a brief shower (30 min. to an hour), so it had very little impact on our sightseeing. In Venice we did have one full day of heavy rain, which finally forced us back to the hotel.

The good news is that the temperatures were mild, so we only needed a light jacket and an umbrella for protection. If you forget your umbrella, no need to worry. The moment it starts to rain, hundreds of umbrella salesmen will magically appear to provide you with portable shelter.

One thing to consider is that if you plan to visit cities, many of the “sights” are indoors (churches, museums, etc.), so rain is less of an issue than it might be if you are planning a driving tour of Tuscany. Venice may be an exception to this rule, since IMO Venice itself is the attraction and much of the enjoyment comes from just wandering around.

You should also know that it floods in Venice during November, but that is no reason to stay away. It is a tidal flood, so the timing and durations are predictable, and the city is prepared with portable, elevated walkways that are moved into place to allow residents to go about their business and visitors to continue sightseeing. Many of the hotels also provide their guests with rubber boots when the water is high.

As others have mentioned, you will find smaller crowds in November than at many other times of the year. To me that is a major benefit to visiting at that time of the year and makes it worth the inconvenience of a little rain.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Oct 26th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Smaller crowds, plus really good soup and wine to warm you up! It actually is a really good time to visit Italy!