Florence: One artists' move to Italy ----TAKE 2

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished packing, leaving in 2 days with a 2 day pit stop in Chicago before catching a flight on the 3rd back to Florence. When I left last July for what I thought would be three months to jump starts my new biz venture I never imagined it would turn into almost a full year of criss-crossing the globe. It has been fun BUT exhausting and I am looking forward to settling in to my own place, where I will sleep in my own bed and use my own cofee maker in the morning.

I am very much looking forward to this, but am a bit more nervous this time. I know the city so there is no learning curve this time, and although a bunch of my friends moved on as they were students I still know a few people in town, BUT last time my friend Robin came with and even though she wasn't there much I still felt like I hadn't taken the move myself.

Most of all what is missing this time is my furry friend, that because he was around I never felt alone. Wherever I lived for 13 years he was there. I read a post from late April on my original Florence posting and I replied how Bear and I would be returning July 1. Almost a month past that posting Bear passed away on May 21st, the very next day after I arrived back from Bali. Needless to say a rough month for me. This week packing has been exceptionally difficult as I pack an urn and an impression of a paw print instead of his favorite food dish and sunflower placemat ( he was a messy eater!!!!)

So as happy as I am to get on with the next chapter of my life and what it will bring ( all good I hope) it is as the Italians would say "agrodolce" ( bittersweet).

I won't be running updates this time but I am going to post my email address here for any Fodorites that visit Florence and may want to shoot the shit over a machiato. Fodorites always have a friend in Florence

[email protected]
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 04:47 PM

Laartista, if I get back to Florence next year I would love to meet up with you. I would love to introduce you to two Italian friends that are residents of Florence that are artists also. They, like you, travel around the world.

In the meantime I wish you a comfortable flight and good fortunate with getting settled in your new home in Florence. And again my deapest sympathy regarding the loss of your dear Bear. Best wishes from Northern California!
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 11:08 PM

Hi there laartista, I've settled in Rome for 11 years now - tough! I'd love to meet. I'm in Portugal right now, coming back on the 7th...not sure when I'll come over to Firenze, but...you can also visit me in Rome...I make art, too...Sorry for you furry friend! Ame and Elliot are what I mostly missed these last three months in Portugal...
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Andrea - glad to see this post from you and wishing you an easy move. If you do post your email address, I'm meant to be in Florence mid-September - maybe we can meet for a macchiato or even a prosecco or three.

Sandra
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 05:13 PM

Hi Sandra, Andrea posted her email at the very end of her post.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys!! LoveItaly- hope you make it over in 2011, and to Pat & Sandra for sure and for sure.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I am so sorry and so sad to hear about Bear.
Maybe LI can give you the telephone number of the two artists so you won't fel too lonely without your darling Bear.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:45 PM

LaArtista...will definitely do a day trip to Firenze when mom & I are in Bologna in November. Would love to "do" lunch. When you get settled we'll figure out a good day! We're there Nov. 12-20.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:59 PM

I had the same thought, Mimi. They are two wonderful, kind, fun and very artistic fellows. I need to call them and will try to do so this weekend and with their permission I will email Andrea the phone number.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 07:06 PM

Congratulations on your move!! I hope you do check in here now and then and let us know how things are going. And find yourself a new furry friend.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 07:35 PM

I am so sorry about your cat. I miss my dogs terribly when we travel and I know how you feel as we lost a chihuahua almost 7 years ago. We finally got another one after a year and he is really spoiled and really loved. Hopefully eventually you'll get another cat. It doesn't replace the one you loved so much but it did help us feel better after Lucy died. Also, we went to Florence last March and i really want to go back. We definitely did not have enough tme there. Lucky you to actually live there. I looked at your jewelry on the previous thread and it is very pretty. Continued good luck with your business.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 07:37 PM

Also, don't know about a machiato but we discoevered Prosecco in Italy thanks to MaiTai Tom on this board. Loved it!
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 07:42 PM

I, too, am so sorry about your loss of Bear, a good faithful friend.

I am planning on returning to Florence maybe next year and would love to meet you. Florence is one of my favorite places on Earth.

Your reports of your move to Florence and the early days were so enjoyable. And your jewelry is beautiful, glad it is all working out so well for you.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

So sweet all, for your comments and nice words about my Bear, thanks again! And I'm totally serious about peeps emailing when in Florence, it's fun to meet the people behind the names even though I feel like I know a bunch of you very well through FB. Also the more I think about it a proseco def sounds better than a machiato!

Marcy- I'll pop down to Rome, it is my favorite Italian city!! Rents a just too high there but any excuse to go for the day
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 04:20 AM

So sorry about Bear. As someone who has had many cats (and dogs) I know that even though you love them all there are some who remain special your entire life. Sounds like Bear is one of those for you. But maybe you can adopt an Italian kitty, and if you eventually move back to the US you'll have a long term, living memory of your time in Italy.

I may be in Italy in November. I am in the process of trying to get my job to give me comp time in the form of three weeks in November so I can visit my daughter who will be in grad school in the UK. But seeing as it will be November no way I want to spend the whole time in cold, gray England so I'm thinking Italy for a while. I'm actually heading to Italy on Saturday for three weeks (well also Croatia) but you can never have too much Italy and it does help to come home from a trip with ideas about the next one already forming. I will definitely hold on to your email.

BTW, I love your jewelry.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 04:45 AM

LaArtista...

Love the idea of you popping down to Rome while we are there! Whatever works best for you, us visiting Firenze or you coming to Roma, or we could do both!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM

Andrea - glad you like the idea of Prosecco more than a Macchiato and glad to take you up on the offer to meet over one. I am actually trying to make it work to be there on my birthday, early October, but it's far more likely to be closer to the end of October - will you be in town then as far as you know now? I'd love to meet you...as you said, this group sort of makes you feel you already kind of "know" someone and have friends all over. I've so far been unsuccessful in obtaining an accomplice, but I have no problem going to Florence alone as I have in the past for business, though it's always nice to meet someone there!

LoveItaly - sometimes I think my lenses need correcting! I can't believe that I missed Andrea's email address - thanks for pointing it out.

Sandra
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Laartista

I was wondering how you were doing these days. I am sad about your Bear, he was such a pretty fellow and you could tell he was a sweetie pie. He looks like he has a similar temperament to my sweet kitties.

Have a great time in Firenze and if I make it that way I will look you up!
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Flygirl, Been busy this summer doing trunk shows on cruise ships in europe for my jewelry so haven't been home much. In a way it's good, it's hard being home w/out Bear, wish I could say it's getting easier but not yet, miss him awful.

If ever in Florence def give me a shout will be around town more in the fall and winter