Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel to Istantbul then to Santorini then Bologna

Old Sep 11th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our late May early June 2011 trip to begin in Ireland/London. Then plan to fly to Istanbul, spend three to four days there and move on to Santorini for three or four days, perhaps more and some other island for comparison then onto Bologna four to five days. Should we plan more or less time in any of these locations?
In our late 60's, we are not often in Europe. Intrigued by sights of Istanbul on TV travel shows here in the State of Washington, USA. We welcome suggestions on what to do and see and restaurants in Istanbul area; ditto for Santorini and for travel from Istanbul to Santorini and later onto Italy to go to Bologna.
I did read the posts to the "indiancouple" which were helpful.
Thanks to all for such advice and suggestions as you may have.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 04:53 AM
ira

Hi BA,

What is intriguing you about Bologna that you would skip Florence, Venice or Rome?

I have a report on our day in Bologna at Ira’s Trip Report (Italy 2003)
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

Old Sep 12th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello BA42,

I am in my early sixties (66 to be exact) and trying to empathise, will recommend:

- I may be partial, but Istanbul is definitely an excellent choice. I have a great many posts, but if you just check the most recent two, you will have some ideas and then ask more detailed questions.

- I agree with Ira that if you have not been to rome especially, but also florence and venice, i wouldprefer one of those to Bologna (you can get the same salami at all of them)

- Santorini is a more upscale and nice island and better than the ones further North because of the timing of your visit. You may not need to visit a second one.

- I would give 5 days to istanbul to really enjoy it without rushing around, as i would to Rome also.

- If you only have 15 days, five each will be nice. If you have more days, i would suggest a second destination like Cappadocia for two days from Istanbul, or a second destination in Italy like Santa Margharita.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

We spent 10 days in Italy a few years ago and saw Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice and Ticino driving back to Zurich.
Considering Ravello and the Amalfi Coast instead of cooking clasess in Bologna. Have read some of your posts about Istanbul, especially the one responding to 3 days there and ferry rides. Reading avidly. Grateful.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

otherchelebi,
Will look for other Turkey tags for more information. We have no clue as to where to stay in Istanbul. We do want to do see the ? spice market and the Grand Bazaar as well as the other usual tourist destinations and will take the ferry ride that you recommended to another writer (3 days in Istanbul staying at the W) So any suggestions for restaurants and hotels are welcome.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Less time in Santorini - it's a cute lil place but a day or two will cover the whole island. Rhodos (Heiraclyon) or Crete are two of the best Greek islands - remember though that Turkey is the cheapest place of all and the most beautiful and best place for sightseeing - places of wonder - clean turquoise oceans (Med and Marmara), and best weather. Food is divine. I would spent most of the time in Turkey. You will not have any problems finding a good hotel in Istanbul - they're everywhere and very cheap. You can get a ferry from Istanbul to Italy - not expensive, with car. Istanbul sights: Basilica Cistern (Yerebatan Saynici) (underground vats), Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Suleymaniye mosque, Topkapi, And if possible go to see the Whirling Dervishes
(Mevlana) at the Hodja Pasha Art & Culture Center near Sirkeci Station or whever you see an advert. check out this site: http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/s...ers_guide.html
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

AnnaLivia,
Thank you. Your repsonse is in our Turkey folder.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 11:20 PM

The main problem with your plan is that you are going to spend an awful lot of time in airports or on ferry docks getting to / from Greek islands.

Working out how you are to get around should be your first priority as I suspect you will have to go via the likes of Athens & Rome if you want to do this particular itinerary
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
BA42,
Lodging: If you are staying a short period and wish to see most of the historic sites and the museums, you should probably stay in the Sultanahmet area. GTTD, a friend and a Trip Advisor DE for Istanbul from London, is arriving in the next few days and will stay at "Alaturka" hotel. So that would be an option.

My older daughter is working on the renovation of the Marmara Hotel at Taksim square as an architect and sort of project manager, a highrise with terrific view and a very central location where you find yourself in the thick of things for 24 hours a day the moment you step outside.

Since you wil be going to a sea-beach place, i will recommend the very exotic and alien-like landscapes of Cappadocia. Check the web for photographs and various Fodor's trip reports like Ellen's.

You could take a morning flight to Nevsehir or Kayseri and next day an evening flight back, seeing a great deal, but allowing time to enjoy your nights in Istanbul. Will probably be a better idea to arrange for a local private tour which includes the longish airport transfers.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 05:37 AM
ira

>We spent 10 days in Italy a few years ago and saw Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice and Ticino ....<

That explains it.