Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anywhere to workout in Florence or Cortona?

May 23rd, 2002, 04:41 AM
Teejay

We're heading to Italy in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if there are any health clubs in Florence or Cortona that are worth visiting? I like working out a few times during a two week vacation so it's not a complete shock to my system when I get back home. Paris was somewhat gym challenged so I'm not overly optimistic but though someone could provide some insight. PS Not a big fan of just running, the obvious solution. Thanks

May 23rd, 2002, 05:53 AM
Santa Chiara

While surfing the internet, I stumbled across a new gym that opened in Florence, but I can't remember where I found it. You might try TimeOut Florence or do a Google search using the words "Firenze palestra" or Florence gym. Also try "Florence net".I mention this because it is more like an American kind of gym with generous hours, which is rare in Italy.

I doubt there is anything in Cortona, but there is a public pool I believe. You will get plenty of exercise walking up and down the hills.

May 23rd, 2002, 06:11 AM
carol

Cortona itself and the countryside around it are wonderful for easy hiking and fairly strenuous uphill walking. Isn't that workout enough?

May 23rd, 2002, 07:05 AM
Teejay

Thanks. It looks like there are a couple Palestra gyms (Porta Roma and Izumo). Any idea if the gym was one of these Santa Chiara? Appreciate the help.

May 23rd, 2002, 11:18 AM
Corrie

Good question TeeJay.

My husband is a runner and managed to get his runs in while we were in most villages, but we "both" missed our weightlifting workouts.

Let me know what you happen to find! I didn't have much luck.

May 23rd, 2002, 11:37 AM
Santa Chiara

I don't remember the name, but it had a photo. On what site did you find these? Palestra, by the way, means gym. And you say, "vado in palestra," not {vado alla palestra" (I go to the gym). Took me the longest time to remember this distinction.

Have a good workout.

May 23rd, 2002, 12:25 PM
Mike

Why is that everytime athletic and/or active some posts looking for gyms, running paths etc, someone pipes up and says "you'll be doing enough walking, don't bother"? For relatively sedentary people, walking on an annual trip to a European city may be the most exercise they get all year - for others, more strenuous (or simply different) workouts are a big part of their daily life, they may be training for an event etc. Telling them NOT to workout isn't helpful.

May 23rd, 2002, 02:53 PM
Carol

I don't think ANYONE told Teejay not to work out, and I don't think Teejay thinks anyone advised NOT to work out. One person tried to tell him about gyms in Florence, one commiserated about not finding places to work out on a previous trip, and I tried to tell him that Cortona and the many trails just outside the walls offer lots of opportunities for a workout by hiking, which he might find more enjoyable than running, an option that he's already thought of and mentioned but doesn't especially like. Mike, if you're looking for a fight, you must have a better chance of finding one someplace other than on this innocuous and friendly little thread.