Florence on Monday - Day Trip?

Jan 7th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Florence on Monday - Day Trip?

Since it appears that many sites in Florence are closed on Monday, would this be a good day for a side trip to Lucca, Siena, Assisi, Orvieto, or San Gimignano? I'll be traveling with my 17 yr old daughter, so please keep that in mind, and give me some suggestions with the pros and cons.

As always...thanks for all your help.

Jan 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Yes!
You'll get lots of varying responses, depending upon each traveller's experience with each place, so take this fwiw (I have been to all the places you've mentioned):
I'd go to San G. But I'd leave as early in the am as possible & plan to take a good long break in the middle of the day when the hordes arrive; then stay as late as possible (have dinner, then hang out in the main square) before returning to Florence. If you're a walker, there are some nice gentle hikes around San G if you don't want to spend every minute "in town."

Enjoy your trip!
Jan 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM
ira

Hi D,

>would this be a good day for a side trip<

Yes.

Jan 7th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

OK Ira...short and to the point. I was hoping for a little more info. Have I exceeded my question limit for the week?

Hey...at least I booked the flight so you won't have to listen to that for awhile.
Jan 7th, 2007, 08:41 PM

ttt
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:02 PM
dgg

Been to all places (but Lucca) several times and have a 17 year old myself. Skip San Giminano and go to Assisi or Siena. I am a huge fan of Assisi and highly recommend spending a night there when it is sheer magic. You will both be enchanted. During the day it is full of bus tour groups and not as magical, but still fascinating. She can learn about St. Francis and the Poor Claires. Siena is also a great day trip from Florence. Your 17 year old will love the huge piazza and all the excitement surrounding it and the lore of the Palio. You'll be done in Orvieto in about 15 minutes and San Giminano is not really that exciting. A great place to swing by to stroll for a while, and have gelato, but not much more. Regarding Lucca...I've only heard great things about Lucca, but have never been there. Assisi or Siena...trust me on this one.