Sienna,& San Gem day trips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to visit Sienna & San Gemignano - Are these do-able as two day trips from a home base in Florence, or should we stay in Sienna a night or two? We are also staying in Rome & Venice (3 nights each) and would like to minimize packing and unpacking, if possible (traveling by train, no car). We could do Florence, 4 nights, OR 2 nights Venice, 2 nights Sienna. What do you think?
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:42 PM
ira

Hi Rosie,<BR> You might want to do a text search on Siena. Many people suggest an overnight stay, many say it's a good day trip from Florence.<BR><BR> My wife and I have scheduled it as a day trip by bus from Florence for our upcoming trip - won't have to pack and unpack.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:44 PM

I would prefer two nights in Siena doing a day trip to San Gimignano rather than 4 nights in Florence with these two as day trips. I like staying in different cities to see what they are like at night. It is hard to get a feel for a place on a day trip.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 08:00 PM

I spent several nights in San Gimagnano and loved it, but if you want to hate it, I'd suggest you do a day trip there. The consensus from the people who only do day trips to it seems to be that it is a jammed and overrun with day-trippers town. If you stay there, but leave for the bulk of the day, you'l probably enjoy it a lot more.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 09:55 PM

The simple answer is: Yes, you can do both Siena and San Gimignano as day trips from Florence. Given your itinerary and desire to move around no more than necessary, it seems to me it would be best if you stay in Florence. <BR><BR>Personally I do not like doing Florence as a day trip from elsewhere because one is so exhausted by the end of the day it is difficult to enjoy any sort of evening activity, including dinner. On the other hand, I agree with previous posters about San Gim being overrun during the day. You might do something in Florence in the morning and go to San Gim mid-afternoon, stay for dinner, a stroll and a gelato, then return to Florence.<BR><BR>You know what, RosieM, they're all wonderful. You can't lose!
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 11:22 PM

You have not said when you are travelling to Italy but already posters on here are surmising that San Gimignano will be over run with day trippers. I was there when I had it practically all to myself and of course that was wonderful, (time to converse with the local shop keepers) so depends on time of year as to an answer to your questions.<BR>I did day trips from Florence and thoroughly enjoyed every one.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 11:31 PM

I would stay in Siena for a night or two and do San G one day as a day trip from there. If you can stay into the evening (this goes for any city in Italy), you will see the throngs of day trippers leave and then the magic of the city really comes alive! If you try to do day trips from Florence, you will end up leaving to drive all the way back just when you should be enjoying the cities the most.<BR><BR>Oh my, just thinking about Siena and San G make me smile - they are truly, truly magical places. Just wait until you come upon that gorgeous black and white Duomo in Siena. Heaven!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 07:53 AM

this is my experience:we wanted to visit both Siena and San Gimignano but at the same time we did not want to rent a car or take bus and train,so following the recommendations on the Fodors,we contacted Mr.Alessandro Cammilli:he was great!In less of 40 minutes he drove us to SG,where we spent the morning,we stopped for lunch in the heart of the Chianti and we continued our trip to Siena.At the end of the day we came back to Florence and we felt happy and satisfied.Mr.Cammilli is very discreet,no questions about the war or about our feeling.I remind you his email:[email protected]
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 12:09 PM

I second debbier and littletraveler's suggestions. I loved Siena and San Gimi, and I think they deserve their own attention.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 08:27 AM

I just wanted to confirm that thanks to Mr. Cammilli we spent a beautiful time visiting Siena and San Gimighnano.He took us there with his own car,he gave us a little tour of the towns(not boring)and he suggested a very typical restaurant in the hills of Chianti.Mr.Cammilli made our day trip from Florence very very special.I remind you his email:[email protected]