Positano, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast

Jan 6th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Positano, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast

Can anyone make recommendations as to a hotel
or villa for several couples to stay in Amalfi Coast area? very nice but not the
top luxury. Also tour company or driver for
assistance to get around.? Any Arrival info
from Rome?
Thanks
Jan 6th, 2007, 06:32 PM
GBC

We were very happy with Hotel Buca di Bacco which is just a few steps above the beach in Positano. It is also very near the pier where the boats depart for the other Amalfi Coast towns and for Capri.

http://www.bucadibacco.it/welcomeing.htm

Jan 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM

We stayed in Positano last June and absolutely loved the town. We used the Fodor book's recommendation of Villa Rosa in Positano, and couldn't have been happier. We were on top floor (family of 5) so we had an incredible view of the ocean and mountainside for pennies compared to other locations very close to us. Only down fall was no elevator! Very steep steps. We also hired a driver who picked us up in Naples and took us to Positano. More costly than public transportation, but being our first time in Italy, we wanted a 'safer' feeling. The Villa Rosa people set me up with driver, named LALO. He took very good care of us, and was courteous and very professional. Good luck on your trip.
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:34 AM

In October we used Francesco Marrapese as a driver for a day tour along the Amalfi Coast and he was great! Excellent english, lots of tidbits of information about the area and he was very flexible with our interests. http://www.francescomarrapese.com/links.htm

Jan 7th, 2007, 09:01 PM

We booked the private room at the Ostello Brikette in Positano, which is technically a hostel, and ended up in a little villa with a large patio with an incredible view! We were midway between the main/upper road and the sea, and overlooked to ocean. The "villa" had 2 bedrooms,2 bathrooms a very small kitchenette and a large patio. We booked one of the bedrooms/baths and no one had the other. But I think this would be an ideal place for 2 couples, and I think we paid around $100 usd per night. I believe they referred to it as the "apartment" Good luck!
Jan 7th, 2007, 09:23 PM
dgg

If you are looking for a hotel, I can highly recommend the Covo dei Sarceni in Positano. It is right on the water and has a pool overlooking the little beach, bay and waterfront restaurants. I think all of the rooms have balconys facing the sea, but I coud be mistaken. The view is magnificent. You can walk around the other side of the hotel to a secluded cove that not too many people seem to know about with a quiet beach lined with little restaurants. My girlfriend and I stayed here in May and were thrilled with the place. I can't wait to return with my husband. You must park in the municipal lot which is about a 5 minute walk, and porters will bring your bag to the hotel. I liked it better than the Buca di Bacco. It had far more ambiance.